Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 4:16:21 PM EDT
I am interested in fact or commonly held opinion regarding the activation of a National Guard unit.

I think it is a safe assumption that our military action will not be over with any time soon, even if we got Bin Laden tomorrow.

It does stand to reason that our campaign would continue into other areas and that the threat we are under as a nation will alos continue along with that action.

That being the case, since I am set to go to basic within the next 8 weeks with my AIT in Military Police being immediately thereafter what would my status be if the unit I am assigned to has already been called up to active duty (they have) and that unit is still active when I finish all my training?

Would I go wherever they are or would I be assigned to our armory or what?

Just got to wondering thats all.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You would most likely report back to the armory, re pack your shit, and be provided transportation to where the unit is located.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Once you've joined, your unit should have you in a slot (platoon, etc.)which is being held for you when you finish Basic, AIT and any other schools or training you need.  Once your training is complete, you'll go wherever your group/platoon (slot) is.

I had asked if I did the Airport Security detail and my unit was activated, would I join up with my unit when my the security detail was over or continue to just drill.  I was told that I would join my unit wherever they currently were.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
X-kill-
You're known as a TPU, or Troop Program Unit, member.  There's an actual slot, unit, command, etc that "owns" you.  When you're away at school, or whatever, you still belong to them.  If they are activated, you hookup with them when you can.

IMA's, or Idividual Mobiliization Augmentees, are Reserve members who are assigned to an actual Active Duty unit to reinforce them during mobilization.  If the 101st goes to war, then those IMAs assigned to it get called up and fill slots that normally are unfilled because the Army is generally only 75-80% strength in units.  

There are also "floaters".  I forgot the actual designation, but they go from place to place and unit to unit just doing whatever it is.  Things like being a OC for a couple of weeks in Italy, then next year going to Team Spirit in Korea.  During wartime they usually get called-up to fill shortages in their specialties, but aren't assigned to a specific place or unit ahead of time.  They're basically the flex team.

Nearly all positions in the Guard are TPU because of the nature of the Guard.  Think of it the same as active duty units.  If you're in the 101st, and the 10th Mountain gets deployed, you don't go because your unit isn't going.  If your unit goes, you go with it.  Simple as that.  Now the Regular Army has more leway in stealing folks from one place to fill shortages in another that's deploying, but for the most part you'll do whatever your unit's doing.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If your unit has gone they may not send you to catch up.  Make sure the powers that be, know that you want in on the action.  You can deploy to replace somebody who has a family emergency or injury.  You could also fill a slot in another unit that is short a guy.  Be open to the possibilities.  I had a few really cool trips with units other than my own.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top