Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 4:09:57 PM EDT
Since everyone is sharing pics. of their four legged companions I thought I would show mine off. These dogs go with my wife and I climbing and backcountry skiing. My wife also uses them for sledding and skijoring.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p909cdd23c62ffff5fb757658309d8d04/fe19c058.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
From left to right: Fritz, a purebred Siberian Husky that my wife rescued. Camelot, a half alaskan husky, quarter saint benard and a quarter german shepard. At three weeks old this dog was 12 pounds! And finally Alyeska, an alaskan husky whos grandfather was the lead dog for the winning Iditarod team in 1994 and 1996.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pce1d5b1c716c6455d08e632bca9cef8f/fe19c04d.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
We recieved all that snow yesterday in a 12 hour time.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p4264301883a0196c99d8f5cce659eddb/fe19c073.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Notice Fritz's bi-threequarters parti-eyed(One eye is blue, the other is three quarters brown and a quarter blue) Very bizzare to look at.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p699ba859b12d7aba76b0f90e3d4db31e/fe19c07f.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p5f7e44a2c28a36dccc27d8bf0f7d7661/fe19c08f.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

thanks for looking
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Fritz is a beaut I am trying to convince the wife to let me get another Huskie now that the baby is here. She was worried if we got the dog before the baby was born would cause problems. I had a female siberian about 10 years ago and she was the best dog I ever had maybe showin the wife these pics will help.Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Exquisite creatures, Idaho!!
Just stunning!
I love working dogs.
We used to raise huskies when I lived in the High Country. Love those blue eyes :)
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, my dogs have never felt anything under 50 degrees.  I can't imagine what they would do if they saw snow.  

Lovely dogs.    
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Palmer, I almost had it. What a difference one consonant makes.

Here's a pic of Lobo and Peanut. I had wanted a
black and white, bi-eyed, male, husky, since I was 10 or so. I never had either the permision or the space to do so. When I finally got into a house (vs apt) I felt it was time. My girlfriend said "no way" because we already had 3 apparment sized dogs. I played dirty and bought the one I wanted any way. I knew she was a sucker for animals. Who could resist a 10 week old ball of fluff? I was was in the dog house for a while, but Lobo kept me company. It didn't last long, he had her from the first pupy lick. Now she tries to claim him as [b]her[/b] dog. Also, she now wants to get a red one. OFFCTR-Have the Mrs. talk to us. We'll have her sold in no time.  

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/005/Kb/x5/UJ/Lw56562.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Great Doggies you got there! Especially like Fritz's pic. I have seen dogs with two different colored eyes but not quite the same. That sort of thing makes them more special when they have unique features like that. One of my neighbors has an all white cat with black feet only.(doh! I guess it can't be all white then huh?[whacko])  It looks like it's wearing a pair of boots!

John
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My sister in law is looking for one, she had to put her last one down due to cancer. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in NY,NJ,PA? I've tried the AKC site, but it's mostly breeders that breed many different types of dogs. I'am looking for a breeder in huskys only.

BTW, they are all beautiful!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Palmer
Try getting in touch with inisfree breeders. Innisfree Kennels, 94 Ryan Road, Chateaugay, New York 12920
(518) 425-3509 phone (518) 425-6898 fax    [email protected]

http://www.pageweb.com/innisfre/

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Palmer
Try getting in touch with inisfree breeders. Innisfree Kennels, 94 Ryan Road, Chateaugay, New York 12920
(518) 425-3509 phone (518) 425-6898 fax    [email protected]

http://www.pageweb.com/innisfre/

View Quote

Great AZ, thanks a million, hopefully she can get one for Christmas for my brother.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the difference between an alaskan and a siberian?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
New Subject:  Siberian Huskies 101

This is Mrs. Idaho-ar15.  Before you get all worked up over getting a puppy, you really should go to www.siberianrescue.com and look up your area.  There are THOUSANDS of Sibes out there that need a good home, and if you get an adult, you don't have to go through those terrible teens that Huskies always have.  Rescues do have puppies sometimes, but don't count on it.

I run an informal Rescue, and TRUST me...these dogs need people who can deal with them and understand them.  They are NOT for everyone.

Go to this link
[url]http://shusky.hypermart.net/husky.htm[/url]
and take the profiler...it will tell you how well a Husky will fit in with your lifestyle.

Don't take this wrong, but here's a hint...NO REPUTABLE BREEDER WILL EVER EVER EVER SELL A PUPPY TO SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO GIVE IT AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT.  Statistically, dogs given as presents end up being rehomed MUCH more often than dogs who were acutally bought by the person who will own it.  If it is to be given as a present, the recipient should be involved in picking out, researching the breeder, and have a say in the selection of the puppy.  

Basically, if you find a breeder that will consent to sell a puppy that will be given as a surprise present, you don't really want to get a dog from that breeder.  True reputable breeders will interview the buyer to find out if the home will be acceptable.

Some reasons you don't want to get a dog from a non-reputable breeder:
Genetic problems
  Hip Displaysia (can be tested for)
  Juvenile Cataracts (hereditary)
  Progressive Retinal Atrophy (hereditary)
  Zinc defficiency (prevalent in Siberians)
  Epilepsy (hereditary)
All these problems can be minimized by knowing the lines, and buying from a breeder who will know abou these things.  Ask the breeder...if they don't know about them, you don't want to buy from that breeder.

Also, psychological and behavioral problems can be hereditary, as well as developmental...good breeders will have given the puppies a good socialization and do not sell them too early.  Huskies need to be with their mothers until at LEAST 8 weeks and preferrably 10-12 weeks.  They should have already had vaccinations before you buy them.

I have seen the effects of irresponsible breeding.  It is not fun, and many many dogs have to be put down because they are unadoptable.  This could have been prevented by responsible breeding.

AND, the difference between an Alaskan Husky, an Alaskan (two different types) and a Siberian is this:

The Siberians are recognized by the AKC.  They have a breed standard and are bred for a specific look and purpose.  The are from Siberia, originally, but the breed as it is today was really developed in America.  They are bred to survive in awful conditions and require less food per pound than other breeds do.

The Alaskan, from what I understand, is a pure breed with pedigree history.  However, it is not recognized by the AKC.  I believe it may be recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club.  IIRC, Susan Butcher used Alaskans.  Take this paragraph with some reservations, I'm not 100% sure of these facts.

Alaskan Huskies are basically what they use in racing, such as the Iditarod.  They're bred with northern breeds such as the Alaskan but many now contain sighthound blood.  They are tough, determined, and usually fast as sin.  Doug Swingley uses Alaskan Huskies.

Whew!  Long post!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are some really nice looking dogs! I have never owned one, but a friend of mine has one, and he is a great dog.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
TylerDurden,

Trust me, the dog's faking while he plans his next attack.

Huskies4all
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, here's a list of Siberian breeders in New York State.  All of these SHOULD be extremely knowlegable, reputable breeders, but you'll have to make the decision by yourself.  I only know one of the breeders on the list, the Stolichnaya Siberian Kennel - and I highly reccommend them.  Be prepared for the 3rd degree - Pat's very careful of where her pups go. She has had some trouble w/her email in the past, so I don't know if it will work.

ALYA ps 516-277-2201 Robert P. Eisele 52 Gwendolyn Pl. E. Islip NY 11730

ARLINGTON pds 718-448-8577 Sylvia Roselli 29 Arlington Ave. Staten Island NY 10303

HELDERBERG pdsb 518-768-2142 Jim & Marilyn Butler PO Box 625 Schroon Lake NY 12870

JAX pds 516-887-7189 [email protected] Sandy & Joe Jessop 152 Hempstead Ave. Malverne NY 11565

PUSHKA pds 716-334-7116 Robert J. Stauber 507 Pitt. Hen. T.L. Rd. Henrietta NY 14467

SNOWFIRE ps 518-877-8909 Linda Lehman 187 Ushers Rd. Round Lake NY 12151

STOLICHNAYA ps 914-462-6297 [email protected] Ray, Pat & Allison Tetrault 31 Husky Hill Rd. Poughkeepsie NY 12601

TALOCON pds 631-979-0180 Mr. & Mrs. John R. O'Connell 23 Del Pl. Hauppauge NY 11788
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't take this wrong, but here's a hint...NO REPUTABLE BREEDER WILL EVER EVER EVER SELL A PUPPY TO SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO GIVE IT AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
View Quote

I'am thinking this was more for me because of my previous post. I'am not taking it wrong. But, my whole family are "dog people", mostly mixed breeds from the pound and North Shore Animal League. I have never had a Husky, I'am not looking for one. I'am trying to help my sister in law out with trying to find a husky, because she does not have a computer to help find breeders. She was tempted to get one from a mall puppy store, but I stopped her. When I commented on getting one for Christmas, I just meant it would be good timing, we've been looking for months now and if it takes another 12 months, thats fine, doesn't have to be Christmas.

She has had huskies all her life and so has my brother. The last one they had, Patch, was a handful to say the least, but the more trouble he caused the more they loved him, after 12 years he had advanced cancer and was put to sleep. They have an awful lot of energy and they are definetly not for everyone.

Huskies4all and AZ-Gunner, thanks for all your info., extremely helpful and will be in touch with STOLICHNAYA.

BTW, I'am looking for a Golden retreiver, have you any dealing with a breeder in NY,NJ??
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Huskies4all and AZ-Gunner, thanks for all your info., extremely helpful and will be in touch with STOLICHNAYA.

BTW, I'am looking for a Golden retreiver, have you any dealing with a breeder in NY,NJ??
View Quote

No prob.  Sorry, I only deal in Northern breeds!  I don't have the foggiest where to find a Golden breeder.  You might do a search for "Golden Retriever Club of America" on a search site...that might lead you to good breeders.

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Palmer
I am not very familiar with Goldens myself. However, I have friends who work with pet allergy treatments, who say that they see a lot of Goldens (among other breeds) getting treatments. As huskies4all said, make sure you find a quality breeder. Be sure to check for a history of problem defects or illnesses. The extra time and effort helps ensure that you and your pet have a long and pleasant life together. Good luck. By the way, if you want, I can ask my friends to keep an eye out for vets in your area and ask for breeder referrals.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Well as would have --Now its the cat that would have trouble adjusting-- this could degenerate into domestic trouble if I dont pursue it the right way. I have been trying to tell her how great my first huskie was and how protective of children she was too. I figure if we get one as a puppie the cat will get used to it as it gets bigger--but she -the cat- is still getting used to the baby so Ill give it a little while. The wife is worried about  a dog barking and Im trying to clue her in that huskies dont really bark unless really upset and most of the time learn to "talk" pretty well in a series of grunts and groans and whines and are very expressive and smart animals. Actually I dont know if I could stand another female around here right now. I will get one eventually just have to wear her down and wait till she wants something.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
By offctr:
I figure if we get one as a puppie the cat will get used to it as it gets bigger
View Quote

Definitely get a puppy if you have a cat. If you were to get an older dog that wasn't kitty friendly, it could really harm the kitty.[frag] Then it would be all over for the three of you.

I will get one eventually just have to wear her down and wait till she wants something.
View Quote

This tactic worked well for a friend of mine who wanted to get his fist gun, but his wife practiced O'dennellism. The time came when she really wanted a cat. She got the cat, he got the gun. If the cat didn't work out, he had the gun [frag] (kidding)
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been trying to tell her how great my first huskie was and how protective of children she was too. I figure if we get one as a puppie the cat will get used to it as it gets bigger--but she -the cat- is still getting used to the baby so Ill give it a little while. The wife is worried about  a dog barking and Im trying to clue her in that huskies dont really bark unless really upset and most of the time learn to "talk" pretty well in a series of grunts and groans and whines and are very expressive and smart animals.
View Quote

Eeeek!  In actuality, Huskies make LOUSY protectors.  Every once in a while you'll get one that is protective, but the vast majority will help a burgler escape and feed him on the way out!  

Huskies are amazing Houdinis.  And many are too energetic to be safe around small children...better to get a rescue that is proven good with kids than to get a puppy that will take about 4 years to be anywhere near calm, if it ever is.  

Also with the barking thing.  Huskies can and do bark...often!  And HOWL.  (ever been to a sled race?) Again, go to that profiler site I posted above and take the test.  I just don't want you getting a dog on these pretenses then having your wife go ballistic when it's not like you said.  That's how Many Many huskies end up in rescue, people think things about them that are just not true.

As far as the cat goes, you're better off adopting a rescue that is known to be good with cats than getting a puppy.  Huskies are small animal killers for the most part and many are impossible to train not to kill cats, no matter how they are raised.

Both my girls are ok with INDOOR cats, but if there's a cat in the backyard, it doesn't usually get back out of the yard.  Same for the neighbor's Pomeranian.  (good thing we were ou there to rescue it) Fritz, the rescue, is not trustworthy with the indoor cats either.  Don't ask me how we trained the girls to be ok with the cats, I think we just got lucky, because they were not raised with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I guess I'll be getting a Huskie.  I never wanted one before, but now it seems like a no-brainer.  Hehe.  [}:D]
View Quote

Yep, for pure, cat/small dog/squirrel/etc. killing power, the Husky has it all.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#22]
nice looking dogs
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I actually have a small team myself!

A puppy pic of the white Siberian:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p8974a8c38dfbf54bc51d8b03cf2a93c2/fe18174c.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

The wolf/malamute:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p2b524b7ad6c69c28dfaa1c8bd9e76527/fe181753.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

The red Siberian and a friend:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p2a8c7047989a7a47fcd530bfacf3d7f4/fe181750.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
...and yes, the bird is fine!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Hope you didn't pay a buttload for that "wolf"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top