Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2001 12:08:27 PM EDT
There seems to be a great problem arising in the Houston Police Department in Houston, TX.

An assistant chief is basically waving the standards for trainees as they go through the academy and then on to their probation period.

There is a woman who, by some miracle of God, made it through the academy and is now in her rookie training.

The problem with this rookie is that she does not have a grasp of the English language.
She can't even write a coherent police report.

An FTO was with her on a call where they had to search a building and she turned around and knocked her FTO in the head with her pistol.

When he scolded her for sweeping him with her pistol, she said, " No worry, No roun n chamba."

I don't know about you guys, but if I were that FTO I would have failed her on the spot and sent her to the car.

Well, that is what he did. Now he is getting heat from this Assistant Chief because in the Assistant chief's mind, this FTO is being discriminatory.

This is not the only incident with this woman either.

I want to know how the Houston Police Department thinks that having this woman on the street is going to help.

I think it is sad to see standards lowered when there are plenty of people out there that are qualified. If race is what they are looking for, maybe they are not an attractive workplace, because I know alot of minorities who could easily go to work for them.

I am worried about what the department will be in 5 years. My guess is that it will fall on its knees and hopefully at one point it can be rebuilt.

I have friends that work there and most of them want to leave because of who they are recruiting and then promoting.

Until then, if you live in Houston, check out this report and see for yourself.

Link Posted: 3/7/2001 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Gemeinschaft,

That sounds about right for HPD. My best friend from high school was an officer in Alvin until he recently moved over to Pearland.  He told me once that if they had a pursuit go into Houston they had to make sure they got to the offender first.  The HPD guys were more than a little rough and if you got there too late all the baby blue uniforms would be gone and you were left with a suspect that had to be taken to the hospital before you could take him to jail.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to tell you this, but racial preferences within HPD have been a problem since at least 1991, and probably before.  I know of two white male applicants who were flatly told that they were "the wrong race and sex to be considered at this time".  This, of coarse, from the recruiter "off the record".

Back in 1991-1992 I was considering applying with HPD.  At least until I found from my two friend's experiences that I need not apply.

Texas Department of Public Safety also has similar issues.  Another friend of mine applied with them for 7 years in a row, and wasn't hired until after he retained a lawyer and records that he had consistantly outscored less qualified members of one of the many "protected classes" that were of coarse hired on the spot.  The threat of a lawsuit was enough to get him through the door, but I can only imagine how many superior's "lists" he might be on.

The perpetual lowering of standards to accomodate racial hiring quotas has a negative effect where ever it is applied.  I can only refer to what I have seen in the military and in law enforcement, but we all know the same applies in the private sector as well.  The thing that really boggles me is how minorities targeted for favoratism don't get outright offended by these policies.  I mean, they seem to insinuate that minorities cannot test or perform at the same levels as others, and if that's not racist what is?

Aggie1,

Yes, the likely outcome of a pursuit terminating within HPD's jurisdiction, and with a significant HPD presence is likely to result in a prisoner's injury.  The cameras in the helicopters have curbed it somewhat, but the fear of other agencies bordering HPD remains that they will be left with an injured suspect and nothing but HPD tail lights in sight.  I know its always on my mind if someone is evading towards Houston, but thankfully the feared result has never materialized.

Saleen
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to worry, the gene pool will purge itself someday.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I am surprised, to a point, to hear this about HPD. I am under the impression that HPD has higher entry-level standards than the DPS (DPS will substitue the 60 college hours for 4 years of active military duty or 2 years of consecutive, full-time LEO experience.) Of course, I live and work about 5 hours away from there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys that are still in it: I don't know how you deal.  I worked for a rinky-dink little department.  My choices were stay and have my career go nowhere, move to a bigger city and deal with all the BS (like the example above) or get the hell out and learn a new profession. I chose option #3.  The withdrawl lasted about a year but I haven't regretted it.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top