Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 5:29:49 AM EDT
What should you do if you get pulled over with a handgun in your car?  Put your hands out the window and wait?  Put the hand gun on the passenger seat?  I really don't know.  I could see how a LEO would get excited to see a hand gun but I would like to know how to best handle the situation.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Whenever I'm stopped, I pull over out of traffic as soon as possible, put the driver's side window down, remove the keys from the ignition and put them on the dashboard in plain sight, keep my seatbelt on and put my hands on the steering wheel at 11 and 1 o'clock. If it's dark out, the interior light goes on. My goal here is to make the officer as comfortable as possible in a naturally uncomfortable and unknown situation.

By Texas law, if I'm carrying concealed, I have to let the officer know that. My CHL is behind my DL, and I hand the two of them to the officer together.

Officer stress level is directly related to your chance of being written a ticket: if you can keep it low, you'll both be happier. I don't know what state you're in, but you may not have to inform the officer. If not, don't. It'll only raise his blood pressure, and if it's only a traffic stop, chances are he won't be searching the vehicle anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
here in GA it's legal to have a handgun in the glove compartment.  thanks to a car-jacking gone bad (victims are dead), this is now law.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Kansas.  Please no wizard of oz jokes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I found this link, I guess it could be worse.  I don't know how strict these rules are.

[url]http://www.unitedstates-on-line.com/kansas/gunlaws.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in Oregon I have been pulled over twice will carrying my handgun. I do not have a CCW. But, I do know that state law permits me to have a loaded handgun as long as it is plain view for the officer. I have never had a problem with officers when they see my weapon.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Here in NJ, it is customary for the inner-city "youth" to stick their hands out of the driver's side window if stopped by the "powleeece".  

There is just one catch --->   One of their hands will generally be HOLDING the firearm at the time.   [:O]

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've read that many states will have your driver's license cross-referenced to your CCW license.  When he "runs your numbers" the fact that you have a CCW will pop up.  Better to not surprise him.  Here in NJ, we don't worry about that.  Even though CCW is written in the laws, only judges & the very rich get them.  Their limo's don't get stopped much.

At least one of our AR15.com posters will take it away from you during the stop.  "For your own safety" of course.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I roll down my windows, turn on my four way flashers, shut off the engine, and leave my hands on the steering wheel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Get out and run like hell....Just let him know first things first, "Officer I do have A loaded gun in the car" and let him know right were it is. You should be fine with this as long as it is legal to carry a firearm in your car in your state.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here in NJ, it is customary for the inner-city "youth" to stick their hands out of the driver's side window if stopped by the "powleeece".  

There is just one catch --->   One of their hands will generally be HOLDING the firearm at the time.   [:O]

View Quote

Gah!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Amazing how things change when crossing the imaginary line called a legal boundry.

In NE an open carry only state you must put your hangun in plain site of the officer if it is in close proximity to your person. I just flop it on the dashboard and point out it's there to the officer. No problem no foul std. procedure and they are used to it.

Now cross into Iowa and those up-tight cops are scared of guns they can see and would prefer to pretend there are no guns. Kind of like an ostrich with it's head in the sand thinking everthing is all right.
At my carry class for Iowa permit I was told to give the license and carry permit to the officer at the same time and not to even mention the location of the firearm unless they ask.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top