Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 2:19:38 PM EDT
I have heard the Mothers Against Drunk Driving was going door to door here in Canada.  I hoped and hoped that they would come to my house.....WELL

THEY JUST CAME BY!  A very nice young man and Boy did I ever give him an earful!!!

I will NEVER EVER EVER give money to that bunch until they air public ads apologizing!!!!

Damn but it sure was fun!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Apologizing for what? Am I missing something? I believe Ted Nugent is a MADD board member.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.... Did I miss something?

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I recall something about MADD having a position against certain weapons. Don't remember exactly what it was, but please consider the fundamental premise of MADD and don't disqualify who they are or what they do. I work in emergency services and have worked  on many adults and children who have been injured or killed by drunk drivers.  MADD does good work and each of us can individually do our part as well, by not drinking and driving.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so maybe this is a Canadian thing.

They ran ( and still run occasionally) a TV ad.  In it a guy is getting up form a table of friends at a bar obviously drunk.  He is asked if he is ok to drive which he shrugs off with a wave and a SHURRR I'M FINE..

As he gets to the door he tosses his key chain into the air...The keys magically transform into a 1911 and he starts to blast away at the people in the bar.

Drinking and Driving....its a LOADED WEAPON  is the final statement of the ad.

Then their is their Poster campaign.  A nice full colour poster of a Stainless gun.  Model number 666 it is shooting Martini glasses out of it.  The Poster says...drinking and driving...Its a killer.

They had one of these in my local Hospital and Drs office....till I demanded their removal.

The NFA and Canadian Firearms owners have been fighting mad against MADD for a few years now.  They said that we missunderstood the ads!!

YA RIGHT!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That is one group that has long outlived their usefulness. Now they are only ridiculous. I wish they would go away.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Apologizing for what? Am I missing something? I believe Ted Nugent is a MADD board member.
View Quote

Ah, the Nugent rant. Thanks to his radio and publishing work — not to mention his on-stage talks to concert audiences — Nugent may be better known these days as a spokesman or member of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE), the National Rifle Association and various law enforcement support groups. Few of his rants can be published in their entirety.

“People say, ‘Well, Ted, you’d be a better representative of hunting if you’d get rid of the vulgarities,’” he said, right before giving his unprintable response to that allegation. “May I learn to be monotone and flatline and ineffective? No thank you. I get the word out.

“ … Stop and think about that VH1 ‘Behind the Music’ series. Think of the individuals they have done an analysis of who have been convicted of murder, rape, child molestation, gang-banging crack-dealing (expletives), and think of mine, where I never broke a law, never hurt anyone, work with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving), MADD, I’ve won conservation awards from the Michigan legislature and the Arbor Day Foundation and I’ve done more charity work than anyone else I know, yet my VH1 ‘Behind the Music’ is the only one ever produced that has a disclaimer, that my views are not those of the producers.

“ … I couldn’t be prouder.”
(I found this at [url]http://www.reporternews.com/2001/enter/play0916.html[/url])
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard MADD was anti gun to the max. Other than that I dont know much else about them or care to since they are antigun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I recall something about MADD having a position against certain weapons. Don't remember exactly what it was, but please consider the fundamental premise of MADD and don't disqualify who they are or what they do.
MADD does good work
View Quote

The center to prevent handgun violence [url]www.cphv.org[/url] might push for gun-control, and bans but [i]their name[/i] says their fundamental premise is preventing handgun violence. I would like to see a reduction in handgun violence, does this mean I should support them and not publicly discredit or insult them?

What exactly kind of work has MADD done? TV commercials DO NOT stop anyody who has the propensity to drive drunk from doing so. What have they accomplished other than creating yet another pity-organization for the purpose of, I presume like most of the others, nothing other than paying a collective of un-skilled people who don't want a real job?

The FDCGHs did the same thing with their fake corporations but at least they didn't feel themselves worthy of tax-exempt status.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my "Handguns" magazine subscription through MADD.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
MADD is a bunch of feel good meddlers. They would rather have prisons full of DUI offenders then murderrs and rapists.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You should have invited them in for a drink!  [beer]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate those freedom stealing bastards and I hope they all die and become reunited with their dearly departed loved ones.  Sorry if I've offended any board members who have lost family members to drunk drivers.  I only mean those self-righteous, meaning-seeking fools who go out on crusades against everything under the sun in order to make their loss more bearable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I like their magazine. That Alfred E. Newman is a hoot!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I consider the idiots at MADD to just be another group of freedom hating Nazis.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

SWEET!!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

SWEET!!!

View Quote

They also have Guns & Ammo and American Hunter..or something like that, I can't remember the exact name.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
They are pushing for a 0.0 percent standard in Colorado that is just draconian and would jail people who have a glass of wine with dinner. Yet they don't go enough about the multi DUI people.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok so maybe this is a Canadian thing.

They ran ( and still run occasionally) a TV ad.  In it a guy is getting up form a table of friends at a bar obviously drunk.  He is asked if he is ok to drive which he shrugs off with a wave and a SHURRR I'M FINE..

As he gets to the door he tosses his key chain into the air...The keys magically transform into a 1911 and he starts to blast away at the people in the bar.

Drinking and Driving....its a LOADED WEAPON  is the final statement of the ad.

Then their is their Poster campaign.  A nice full colour poster of a Stainless gun.  Model number 666 it is shooting Martini glasses out of it.  The Poster says...drinking and driving...Its a killer.

They had one of these in my local Hospital and Drs office....till I demanded their removal.

The NFA and Canadian Firearms owners have been fighting mad against MADD for a few years now.  They said that we missunderstood the ads!!

YA RIGHT!!
View Quote

Wow, never seen that version. It sucks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think too many people are for drinking and driving.  The 0.0% thing is scary as hell, time to invest in personal breath analyzer companies because that's what it will take to know if you still have 0.005% (do these analyzers round up on the least signicant digit?) or not(maybe start a cab company).

I think its cheap that they use guns in their ads that suggest killing, because as we all know drunks+cars=bad=guns?  They should stick to what they know, drunks and cars.  I'm not sure I can support them otherwise.

hg112,  maybe a guy could get G&A, Off Road, and Wine Tasters Monthly next time!!  [;)]

I'll never trust something that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die.

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate MADD. they HAD a purpose long ago.
Raising the drinking age to 21? You can go, fight and die for your country but not legally buy a beer? Something is really wrong with that. As far as that zero tolerance that is way to much.. not only can oyu not even havea glass of wine with dinner but if you use a mouthwash before you go out you would violate it...
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Update

Just learned that some guys in Canada just saw the ad in question....LAST NIGHT!!

So much for their promise to pull it!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A nice full colour poster of a Stainless gun.  Model number 666 it is shooting Martini glasses out of it.  
View Quote

[img]http://www.dxshop.com/madd/images/products/901404712P-2.jpg[/img]
Cool.
I'm getting me one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]
hg112, maybe a guy could get G&A, Off Road, and Wine Tasters Monthly next time!!

you can't afford me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
[URL]clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/drunksagainstmaddmoms[/URL]

DAMM
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#26]
MADD pisses me off really bad.

They are very simply prohibition revisited. Somebody needs to tell them the temperance movement died many years ago. I believe MADD will stop at nothing short of a total prohibition on Alcohol. After all, look how successfull the first prohibition was 192x - 1933. Sarcasm Mode Off.

Prohibition led to the rise of Gang Land bootleggin. Gang Land Bootlegging led to more restrictive laws which led to the Unifrom Machine Gun Act of 1932. Then following the demise of prohibition in 1933, these Gang Landers remained. Seeking a means to federalize cases against them, the Government passed the National Firearms Act of 1934. The NFA is the basis for every last firearms law on the books. The GCA amended the NFA. Later laws amended the GCA including the 1986 MG Ban, 1989 Import Ban, 1994 AW Ban, etc...

0.0% is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Even the anti-drinking crowds admit that alcohol begins to effect you at 0.02%. So why limit you to a standard lower than an amount that would have  any effect on the human body at all. 0.02% is one drink for most people. For others 1 drink may be 0.01% (Those over x Lbs.)

0.05% is considered intoxicated for PI purposes in many areas. Why use a lower standard for DWI than the legal definition of Intoxicated. How can you Drive While Intoxicated if you are not legally Intoxicated. Few realize it, but when I took Driver's Ed. when I was 15 my instructor said that an officer can detain you (Drunk Tank) if you are between 0.05% and 0.08% BAC. They can file DUI Charges at 0.08%.

0.05% is 2.5 drinks for most people. That is also only if you drink 2.5 drinks instantly. E.G. Chug. 2 Drinks over a dinner lasting 2 Hours evenly spread out will leave you with a BAC below 0.02% or that which has any effect on you at all. Why subject such a person to criminal prosecution.

While I do not drive drunk, I have driven after 1 glass of wine or a single beer, etc. I use a lower standard for myself. If I have more than 1 drink, I wait 1 hour per drink over 1 I had before even thinking about getting behind the wheel. And in cases like New Years 2000 and Finals Week my Freshman Year of College (Heavier Drinking), I sleep it off.

So, why say "we know it creates no danger, but we want to ban it anyways, unless your goal is total prohibition." This is the same crap HCI spews. "Assault Rifles" account for near 0% of crime, yet they wanted to ban them in their overall plan of a total ban.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#27]
They need to focus on old people driving.  Always scares me to be anywhere near the little old lady driving the 77 Cadillac bomber and all you can see is her new beehive sticking up over the wheel. I am sure she has not had her eyes checked recently and her reaction time is far from cat like.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#28]
How many people heard several years ago, that the founder was pulled over and arrested on drunk driving charges after leaving a wedding "I only had a few glasses of wine!! This is ridiculous" she claimed at the time.
I heard this, as a news snippet, on a talk radio news show one day and then NEVER heard a thing since...Who bets that she DIDN'T get charged???

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
SLAYER has a song called Drunks Against Madd Mothers on their Undisputed Attitude lp.

I'm also of the opinion MADD are a bunch of self-righteous, victim culture blow hards.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, got my Guns and Ammo through them.  Of course they keep calling back wanting to sell me others.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#31]
cc48510, you're not correct--prohibtion never ended with the repeal of the 18th Amendment.  It lives to this day as evidenced by just how many people in this country are legally prohibited from drinking.  Plus if you consider the prohibitions on other things such as the harder drugs as well as firearms, you will see that we live in a very prohibition, temperance-friendly busy-body country.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top