Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 12:53:49 PM EDT
hey all.  i have just arrived in mesa, az.  and after a couple of days of rest and recuperation, and then a day more to find the computer cords to plug this puppy up, i am back!!!!

it took us nearly 3 full days to get from indy to home.  most of the drive was quite nice.  beeeeeeeyoooooootiful country out there.  i'm thinking you guys who live in texas and oklahoma have it pretty good.  

the only bad part of the trip was west of albuquerque, nm.  we were heading west on I40 and climbing in elevation.  we could see the rain clouds ahead of us, but we weren't worried much.  until the rain started turning to snow.  and then ice.  it got so bad that my windshield, wipers, and entire front end of suburban (including the lights, so it didn't matter if i had them on) were coated in at least a 1/2 inch of ice.  we pulled off at the next exit to calm me down (nothing like not being able to see to incite a panic attack) and de-ice the vehicles.

after filling up the gas tanks (didn't want to get stuck with low tanks) we were heading down the on-ramp back to 40, think the rest in downhill and the weather should be getting better.  well, not quite yet.

at the end of the ramp, matt (driving the ryder truck) says into the walkie talkie, "i think there's an accident down here."  and was there.  we stopped on the ramp.  and then 5 cars coming flying up over the top of the hill just behind us and skid and slide all over the road trying to avoid the stopped traffic and the previous crash.  what a mess!  saw at least 3 vehicles smash, cruch, or otherwise make contact with another vehicle.  the old Man up above was definitely keeping an eye out for us that day.  i'm thinking my windshield icing up and our retreat to the exit had some Divine intervention.  no telling how bad we might have had it had we stayed on the interstate.  but we got home safely.

all in all it was a good, safe trip.  aside from the snowstorm, the only other drawback was that we lost all but two of the fish we were transporting.  [:(]  but the anoles and cats are hunky-dory.  [:)]

and finally, i have never seen more patriotism in my life than i did in the 1800+ miles i traveled in those 3 days.  flags and bumper stickers galore.  it did my heart good to see those things.

and i'm glad to be back!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Look on the bright side... it will be your [b]LAST[/b] ice storm for a very long time!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
you were gone?

Seriously glad you are well and happy that the lizards and felines and the humans made the trip ok.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i'm thinking you guys who live in texas and oklahoma have it pretty good.  

and i'm glad to be back!
View Quote

Thanks for the compliment![:D]
We like in these parts!

Welcome back!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yepper Arlady, glad you're back and we do like Texas.

Glad you like it too.

It got kinda cold here recently too, but, it'll be over in a day or three.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'm thinking you guys who live in texas and oklahoma have it pretty good.
View Quote

I wonder if the good residents of Jarrel, TX, or any town that's been devestated by a toronado would agree with that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you had a decent trip, and glad to see you back! [:)]

Indiana misses you though [:(]

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, ARLady!  Wish I had known you were coming this way.  We could have had dinner or something.  And you could have given your fish a swim in my aquarium while you were here.  What day did you come through?  We're on the north side of Albuquerque, and all we got was a little snow flurry the other day...no ice.  Oh well, next time, maybe.  Sorry about the fish, but glad you made it alright.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
AR lady...... ahh, whoosat? [;)]

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I remeber you guys from the AZ shoot. I'm glad to hear all went well, and that you and Matt worked everything out. Best wishes to you both.

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Only when I kept throwing the snowballs and you kept ducking ...

Ted...
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think its hi time we see a pic of the happy couple. I'm curious, anyone else? [:)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup, good luck on your new life, may you be happy as .....whatever
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Miss you?

I wasn't even shooting at you!

Welcome to the southwest, ARlady.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think its hi time we see a pic of the happy couple. I'm curious, anyone else? [:)]
View Quote

I've been curious, but didn't know if it was polite to ask.  How 'bout it?  Pretty please?  
View Quote

i don't know.  i'm not sure i wanna be subjected to the photoshop demons.  [:D]  lemme see what i can dig up.  no promises though.  not even sure if i can still find anything in all these boxes lying around here.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Welcome to AZ ARlady.  Many AR15.commers are going to the Small Arms Review show in Phoenix at the State fairgrounds on the 8th and 9th, perhaps we will see you and Matt there.
View Quote

speaking of that is there going to be another shoot then?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top