Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 3:37:13 PM EDT
[url]http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/172455.html[/url]

As seen on Slashdot.com:
"Masem writes: "According to this Newsbytes story, a CA appeals court has issued a ruling that says that typical messages posted to internet message boards can not be considered as libel or slander, as they inheritently are framed as opinions and not as statements of fact. The case stems from rather negative comments posted by defendants about a computer reseller company on the internet; the company sued for libelous comments; lower courts did initially rule for the company, but the appeals court has overturned this. While not every message posted in a public forum is safe, the court's decision seems to convey that unless the message is framed as a form of fact, then any message posted to a public internet forum should be considered as opinion, and thus cannot be considered as a libelous comment."

Thought this might interest some people, considering the threats of libel/slander that are occasionally made around here...

Viper Out
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone make sure Rguns, US optics, and Paul308 all get a copy of this...
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You shouldnt have brought this up!! Now Rguns will "lible and file a sue" against you for something!!  [;D]

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you always state, that "In My Opinion....."

Like In My opinion, Rguns advertised 100% functioning colt 20rd magazines, and thats what I got, ugly bastards though.

But they work perfectly!

WL
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Strange.  Is it an attempt to marginalize the value of Internet message boards?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
RGUNS will have to find a new retort. Did he ever actually sue anyone for libel? I was never scared.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't forget Todd Bailey of Special "Weapons"!
View Quote

Is this the same guy ??  Turd Baily of sPeshUl wEpUnzz
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Strange.  Is it an attempt to marginalize the value of Internet message boards?  
View Quote

I don't think it takes a court to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top