Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 5:39:22 AM EDT
Ok I was watching some morning TV before I left the house, GMA (Good Morning America) was a station I stopped on for a few minutes. They had a  statistical report on handguns in the US and kids.
A you ready for this factual info......
They reported that between 95' and 99' two children per day died in America from a handgun! What the F is this crap! Additionally they reported that 1 in 3 were killed by another child! Where do they come up with this obviously completely false bullshit! Does any major network ever tell the truth regarding guns in America? It's almost like they get special points to bash guns at any turn. WTF! Do they think that the first amendment won't be next right after they F with the 2nd amendment! Idiots!

Rant Off
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You're upset...we can tell...
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
48.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
48.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
How to interpret such figures.
1- A child is anyone under 18-
this means that some gangsta popping caps merrily, who is then shot, killed, run over or generally removed from annoying the populace by the LE community will go into this statistic as "Child killed by handgun"
2- Since "Child" is anyone under 18, expand above arguement to include bad drug deals, turf wars, or general robbery/mayhem..

It's called "News Programming" for a reason. It's not meant to give you news, it's meant to sell commercial spots..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it man.  The statistic is probably accurate.  Keep in mind that 2 per day is only about 730 per year.  The 1 in 3 yields a total of 243 kids killed by another child.

These statistics probably only include young children, and count only murders and accidental shootings.

Remember when the Rosie crowd was spouting the 19 kids every day crap?  "We have Columbine happening everyday!" they said.  It seems that NBC actually got some good data for once.

Now, reporting this infitesimal number as a major news story is disturbing I agree.  Maybe Katie (Colon Ride) Couric should analyze the number of kids killed by airbags every year.

BTW- I just read that 170 people died in 1998 as a result of burning candles.  Oh, the humanity!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, the percentages above are funny! Good sense of humor guys!

Meplat,
Yea I figured that might be the case, so I guess 17 yr. old gangsta boys\girls are in the mix. Of course the brain dead people paying attention to this crap think of little kids dying only.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Statistics is like a bikini.  What it reveals is quite interesting but it covers up the important parts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I've heard and read the age of children are calculated as 21 or under.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top