Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 5:35:28 AM EDT
on the front page of the WSJ, was an article about the movie. it will be released nation-wide on January 18th, but opens in NY and LA in December so it will qualify for the Acadamy Awards.

an interesting thing they said was that they used actual Army helicopters and active duty troops in the film, with full permission of the DOD, of course. movie makers paid 3 million to deploy the men and equipment to Morocco for filming.

Tom Matthews, Army air-mission commander at Mogadishu, hired by Disney, lent a helping hand by pointing out "probably 45" mistakes or errors  that were corrected by the studio.

it should be pretty acurate, but i believe that the auther was not consulted for the writing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Mark Bowden wrote the first draft of the script that was described by an insider in the production company as unsuitable for filming.  He still shares screenwriter credit with Ken Nolan, Stephen Gaghan and Steven Zaillian.  An insider, someone who is a real warrior who's been there and done that, has said that Black Hawk Down is going to be the best war movie ever made.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Mark Bowden wrote the first draft of the script that was described by an insider in the production company as unsuitable for filming.  He still shares screenwriter credit with Ken Nolan, Stephen Gaghan and Steven Zaillian.  An insider, someone who is a real warrior who's been there and done that, has said that Black Hawk Down is going to be the best war movie ever made.  
View Quote

I sure hope you're right, it's a great book and the public is ready for a good war movie.
I pray there's no Hollywood love story bs stuck in there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Per the insider, as filmed, the movie is about the men involved.  The tag line, "Leave No Man Behind" should say something.

Also, for the accuracy freaks who thought the weapons sound effects on Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers were a bit off, the plans as of late September, were to record the sounds of live fire of M16/M4s, M249s, M60s and M134s, as well as bullets snapping, cracking and ripping by and striking dirt, building materials and such.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm sure that the accuracy freaks will always find something to nitpick about. I even remember hearing some WWII Jeep fanatics complaining about the inaccurate "Willy's" scripting on the Jeep inside the crashed glider in Saving Private Ryan. So far Blackhawk Down looks really good and I hope it does justice to the real story. Unlike Pearl Harbor, which I didn't even bother going to see because of all irrelevant Titantic-like crap. I see they are now shamelessly hawking that POS movie as some sort of commemorative of the 60th anniversery of the Pearl Harbor attack.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I even remember hearing some WWII Jeep fanatics complaining about the inaccurate "Willy's" scripting on the Jeep inside the crashed glider in Saving Private Ryan.  
View Quote

Hey! Jeeps are no laughing matter! [;)]

from the article: "if the film's accuracy is questioned in the press, Sony may call on (Sgt. Matt) Eversman and other veterans to defuse any criticism."

Eversman is one one of the main characters in the film, and currently works at the US War College in Carlysle, PA.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this going to be a big flag-waving, Yea America film or is it an antiwar, anti-foreign intervention piece?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
On the day it is released, I will probably see it twice. Please read/buy the book before you see this film! These men are TRUE HEROES!!!

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
from the article:

"The Black Hawk team will attempt to use publicity and marketing to reposition the Somalia affair not as a disaster, but rather as a heroic tale of the American soldiers looking out for each other in dire circumstances."

"We kicked their butt, but that was at a tactical level," Matthews said, "At the strategic and political level, when you have some casualties, it looks like there was a problem."
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
We will see...

Friend of mine was Force Recon over there. I doubt some of the stories he told me about are going to be put in a mainstream american action film!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey,  anyone have the URL for the movie trailer ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I am worried, they put Alec Baldwin in it. Please everyone should read the book!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
D@mn, SS109, you had me going there for a minute.  At least til I checked out the cast list at [url]http://www.cinemayhem.com/blackhawkdown/cast_crew.htm[/url].

Sorry to spoil your fun!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
From this article on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/news/662659.asp?0dm=C31EN

"Scott’s movie has been touted as an Oscar contender, but it’s rumored to be stark, violent and unstinting in its depiction of the ravages of war, with a battle that goes on for about an hour and 45 minutes. Sherak stresses that the movie is about heroism, and that will be the selling point. "The movie talks about the things that are really positive. People will take out of it what they want. If this was pre-September 11, maybe they’d take out ‘War is hell; we should never go to war.’ But we’ve learned that we have to be involved. If it’s not us, who else is it?""

Sounds great to me.  I know I'll be in line for this.

(edited to add that the director of BHD is Ridley Scott who brought us Alien and Gladiator)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I read the book, this is going to be a good movie if it follows the book. Although the cast list does have disturbingly large numbers of fictious characters. There were some memorable moments from the book, like when ground convoy #1 was being misdirected all over the place and the men had no clue where they're going and it finally dawned on (I think it was Durant) after driving through an ambush, then turning around and driving through it again that they're just driving around lost until they're all dead. I guess that highlights one of the key points in the whole event, even though the armed forces projects an image of high tech wizardry, it seems that C3 elements when it comes to these crucial moments are still inadequate.

oh wait, they call it C3I now, with Information added. Makes you wonder if the C3(I) elements have really improved that much since Somalia.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I read the book, this is going to be a good movie if it follows the book. Although the cast list does have disturbingly large numbers of fictious characters.
View Quote

There are specific reasons for the fictional characteres in each case.  Some of it has to do with compoisiting characters, some with duty concerns, some with other reasons.

There were some memorable moments from the book, like when ground convoy #1 was being misdirected all over the place and the men had no clue where they're going and it finally dawned on (I think it was Durant) after driving through an ambush, then turning around and driving through it again that they're just driving around lost until they're all dead. I guess that highlights one of the key points in the whole event, even though the armed forces projects an image of high tech wizardry, it seems that C3 elements when it comes to these crucial moments are still inadequate.

oh wait, they call it C3I now, with Information added. Makes you wonder if the C3(I) elements have really improved that much since Somalia.
View Quote

All I can say is it's never easy.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent book, but frustrating as hell to read.  I was over there with 1stSRIG USMC from December 92' to March 93'.  Reading about American soldiers being killed in this SH*THOLE of the world pissed me off and required a visit to the range after every chapter.  Most of those pieces of crap would be dead if we hadn't had pussy ROE's.  Bad guys everywhere, but just because they aren't shootin' at you at that time you can just wave to them. [-!-] ARRRRG!
[heavy]
Came up for re-enlistment over there.  Needless to say I got out in June 93'.

I'll see the movie the day it opens. And I'll be packin' my SIG in case some Somalis show up.
[pistol]

SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quicktime trailer page (highest quality in my experience):

[url]http://www.apple.com/trailers/columbia/black_hawk_down/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top