User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 11:28:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!

I recall a few of your earlier projects.

Where do you find the time?

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good, man! I'm looking forward to the day that I have a full-blown woodshop at home. For right now I do all my woodworking at work, here's one of my latest:
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/038/z0/nw/ZE/hD83536.jpg[/img]

Well, there's also aluminum, plexiglas, plastic body filler, steel, vinyl, carpet, neon, a bunch of math, and a crapload of electronics...[;)]
More here: [url]community.webshots.com/album/17579453xiwbeLwucM[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Treetop, I like...  [img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lookaround.gif[/img]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/013/yd/jK/OA/hI45984.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work, DVD.  My stepdad started his own woodworking company back in 1980.  I worked with
him for 14 years before I finally went out "on my own."  Learned the whole trade in the years I spent there, from rough-sawn kiln dried lumber to polishing the final coat of finish.  Dad spent some money on some cool equipment too, including a Timesaver 36" wide belt finishing sander.  We made a bunch of [b]solid [/b]oak roll top desks one time, IIRC the tops were 32" x 72"  and glued up like your tops are (although I think the widest piece we'd use was around 3 1/2" to cut down on warpage).  Once the glue dried, a simple scraping and off the the sander.  In about 4 or 5 passes you'd have a ready to stain surface that would have taken [b]Days[/b] to do by hand.  Kinda spoiled me actually.

One day I realized how long I'd been doing it and that I still had 8 functional fingers and 2 functional thumbs, I considered myself lucky and hung it up for good.  I'm a keyboard & mouse kinda guy now - 'cept for guns of course.

edited to add:  "Think twice, measure twice, cut once."  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]
DVDTracker, what ever happened to your range cart.  Did you keep those solid steel castors on or replace with pneumatic wheels.  How does it work in a 'real life' environment.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
DVD, best of luck starting a woodworking shop!  I'd definately recommend that you try to keep it on a "second job" or "hobby" level for a while.  There is so much furniture out there that's cheaply built, and so few potential customers with a discerning eye for quality.  I don't know how many times I've heard people say "Why would I spend that much to have you build it when I can go down to Meijer's/Lowe's whereever and buy it for $XX.XX?"  All the time they are forgetting that whoever is building them for the chain stores is doing very high-volume production, with practically slave labor and poor quality materials.  (MDF board covered with contact paper is NOT solid oak - I don't care what the box said!!)

Hopefully you'll be able to have alot of fun, and gain a great deal of pleasure from your woodworking ventures.  Not trying to discourage you but it's [i]hard[/i] to make a living doing woodworking!  (I tried.)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
DVD -

VERY cool, my friend. I got the drill mounted morticer too, but am thinking about going to the dedicated morticer. Guns and wood working are eating up all my $$$.

I too would like to open my own furniture making shop.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
DVD & gman,
 Here's a tip that might be worth sharing.  Invest in a small router or laminate trimmer and a 1/8" & 1/4" radius (or "rounding over") bits.  Go carbide if you can afford it.  Before you do your final sanding, radius all the sharp corners on your project - like even the legs on DVD's end table.  Then do your final sanding, making sure you go over all the radiused edges too (or they will show a lighter color when stained).

This accomplishes 2 things.  1.)  It will have a "softer" feel to it and be alot less likely to cause serious injury should someone fall into/onto it and 2.)  it will make it a much more durable finished piece, because bumping a sharp corner with a sweeper (or whatever) will nearly always dent the wood and cause the finish to chip off.  Radiused corners aren't anywhere near as prone to chipping as sharp ones are.

You can get into a good trimmer w/ bits for around $150.00.  Trust me on this one, you'll use it all the time!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't know what size rounding-over bits I have, but I do have a router and had planned on rounding the edges over.  

View Quote

Okaaaaay then.  I'll stand back out of your way and let you finish your project.  Sounds like you've got a handle on things.

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top