Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2001 8:41:48 PM EDT
From the previous topic: "Help!....(http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73415&page=1)"

His assignment is to: "Write a good editorial based on the information contained in this bar graph. Be sure to include your opinion. (85 words or more.)"

The subject: Gun-Related Deaths Among Kids Ages 5 to 14.

The info is based on a bar graph, dated from 1990 to 1993, inclusive. In these four years, the bar graphs are in two categories for each year: (A)Ages 5-9, (B)Ages 10-14
The info is as follows:
1990: A) 121; B) 560
1991: A) 94; B) 614
1992: A) 111; B) 667
1993: A) 141; B) 700

There is no attribution, no sources listed, and I know just how I'd answer it, but my son has no idea how to answer it in terms and language appropriate for a fourth-grader.
View Quote

His completed assignment:

"I'm only 9 years old, so I don't know if I should comment on things that grownups can't agree on, but it's my assignment, so I will do it according to the bar graph.

But why gun deaths? Why not the number of peaches picked in Georgia? And were the gun deaths in the USA or China or all over the world? And is the graph real? Where did the graph come from? If it is real, then how did they happen? In suicides? Murders? Drug dealing? And why does the red bar (gun deaths of children ages 10-14) keep going up, when the blue bar (gun deaths of children ages 5-9) goes down, then up again? Where did these people live? Were they involved in crime or were they innocent? And if the deaths are going up, then people should be taught more gun safety. And- we don't know how many of the deaths were accidents.

My opinion is that this bar graph does not show all the information that people need to know to understand it. And the information is almost 10 years old, so I don't think the information is of much use any more."

His teacher and I are going to have a friendly little chat tomorrow....>:^D
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
... good boy!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
tactful.

Shawn
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
NICE! It seems as if you have a smart young man there. You and his mother should be very proud! The funny thing is, that if a nine year old boy gets it, why can't the rest of these people get it also?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd give hime an A+!!

Let us know how the talk with the teacher goes!!
I'd be interested in knowing what grade THEY give hime on this.

Be sure to hang it on the fridge when he gets it back.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Good Job POPS!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good Job POPS!
View Quote

Actually, it should be: Good job SON! My main contribution was standing over him to make sure it got done.

"You're not done yet? Drop and gimme twenty!" :^D
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Please post a synopsis of your discussion with the "Teacher".....should be interesting.
Tell your son Good Job from me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
You should wait till the paper is graded before you talk to the teacher.

I would give him an A+. I bet the teacher doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A+

No matter what his teacher says....give him a gold star and a pat on the back!

medcop
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
A+ You Pass!!!!!  I Love It!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Outstanding!
View Quote

HERE! HERE!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
A+ in my book. If it were my son, I'd buy him a 10/22 just for that and take him AND have him invite the teacher to the range to teach them about gun safety.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure the boy knows that he will be scheduled for re-education after his crazy,militia father intimidates his teacher. Good for you, call us in if you need extraction.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
AUTHOR! AUTHOR!

[bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce] [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Perfect! Good job.[:)]

jester
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Ahh, a man after my own heart.  Nice job.  Keep us posted as to how many administrators die of a fit of apoplexy.  Many, we hope. [devil]

shooter
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Tell him "damn fine work, son"
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#19]
The downside to this is that as the boy learns to despise the readily digestable pap passed as news, you'll find yourself wondering just WHO in the house is subscribing to
"The Journal of the International Wound Ballistics Association" and "Small Arms Review"..

Meplat-

"Figures lie, and Liars figure" should have been the header for the boy's response..
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Very good! [^]

Now he just has a couple years before he does his junior English paper on John M. Browning and senior research paper on Ballistics [:D] Just like I did.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I totally support the opinion that the graph was bullshit.  But after having time to look over the last post and think about it, something just doesn't sit right with it.  I'm not the paranoid type, but it think this whole thing isn't about brainwashing the young, or what's being taught in class.
I can't help thinking your son was possibly flushed out as someone known to have guns in the home, and someone in the school is making a note of it as a potential problem.  
When I went to school it was mandatory to take the school photos so the school and local police could have mug shots of all the student.  They used to tell you they sent those pictures to the colleges you apply to, which was a crock of shit.
You may want to be real careful what you say to that teacher.  It isn't their business if you own a firearm or not.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Very good job! You should very proud of him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#23]
what can i say,,, damn good job.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I totally support the opinion that the graph was bullshit.  But after having time to look over the last post and think about it, something just doesn't sit right with it.  I'm not the paranoid type, but it think this whole thing isn't about brainwashing the young, or what's being taught in class.
View Quote

Actually, everybody in the class was assigned the same topic. (And a curious topic it is, for 9 and 10 year olds to be dealing with...)

My son turned his paper on it in today. Later, the teacher said to him that he had done a great job, that it was very well-written, and that he had followed the directions. He was quite stunned, as you can imagine.

She didn't say whether she agreed with his conclusions, but she didn't call him a raving gun-nut either :^). So, I don't know what to say. She is otherwise a good, patient teacher and tells her pupils to think about what it is they're learning, and it seems he did just that.

Maybe she just parrotted what she got from some webpage (CDC, likely, or HCI), without really thinking about the info she passed on. Maybe now SHE will think about it. I doubt I'll ever get her to the range to learn about guns, but let's hope she's a bit more open-minded than most.

I can't help thinking your son was possibly flushed out as someone known to have guns in the home, and someone in the school is making a note of it as a potential problem.
View Quote

I've never made it a secret that we have guns, but I don't go around trumpeting it either. Guns are a fact of life, and I treat them as such. Most people don't care, and firearms are not something that a lot of parents even talk about at all, at least where I live. (Unfortunately....)

(snip)You may want to be real careful what you say to that teacher.  It isn't their business if you own a firearm or not.
View Quote

I agree on both of these counts, and will pick and choose my words and battles wisely. If people are curious, I will tell them about guns, but I tailor my answers to the level of experience in the audience, since guns are an arcane subject that takes a while for beginners to become used to and to understand, beyond the commonly-know idiocies that the media throw at the public about guns. Ignorance is a tough nut to crack!

BTW my son asked me to wait and see what else his teacher says to him, and to see what kind of grade he gets on his paper, before "letting me loose" on her. We'll see..... more later.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Congrats!  Most likely the teacher got it from a teacher's version of a textbook, I've seldom known any who didn't.  I personally think it's time for you to see how much money you lose in taxes each year (don't forget what your employer pays and the services they may be forced to provide you in lieu of wages such as health insurance) and see what kind of private schooling you could afford for the kid if you kept that for yourself(and realize that once you're paying them they do what you ask or you take your money elsewhere... ahh the joys of capitolism) Then you can start getting pissed and become a libertarian like me =-)  But either way congrats on keeping the kid honest and helping him with his education, you should be proud to be so caring a parent, and especially of your son.  Keep up the good work, we're rooting for ya!
-bill (who's dad rules =-)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
95th, I'm glad to see you have a good handle on this. My first reaction is that the teacher is an HCI useful idiot or even activist. But maybe the teacher is trying to show that the graph is BS? [:\]
I'm glad you are more tactful than I.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent - these little ones are our future - teach em to think!

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top