Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 7:51:09 PM EDT
Tomorrow I have to go have my dog put to sleep. He has a tumor on his heart.

I know it's not macho to be blubbering like a baby over a toy poodle, but he is my buddy and he will be missed.

This will definatly make my top ten list of hardest things I've had to do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it's tuff.  If the dog is suffering it is the right thing to do.  God Bless!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
i understand. my dog went in to be put down just a few days ago. she was 17, and her first 16 years were vital as a puppy. the vet even confused her (at 15 y/o ) for a puppy. definatly a member of the family.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Dogs can become like members of the family.  I lost Charley (my dog) after having him 15 years.  It is a very hard thing to do...only time will lessen the pain.

My condolences go out to you.

medcop
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
God, i'm really sorry to hear it. My "brother" Buck (16 year old German Shephard) was put down a few years ago. My parents took him to McDonalds and he ate the best last meal he could have imagined. Spoil your doggy and give him all the love he can handle before tommorrow.

Shawn
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Losing a pet can be really tough.  I have had to put down many pets over the last few years as my wife takes in ill and mistreated dogs and cats.  I have had to put down two dogs in the past 15 years that I considered "mine".  Those were some of the toughest moments!  It really hurts when other people don't seem to understand.  Don't feel silly mourning.  Give it some time and then move on.  Deepest sympathy, Andy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's best to end his suffering, as in your heart, you know he will be thanking you for it.

Good luck with your grief. I know it's difficult. I've been there.
Good luck once again.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called The Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of The Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food, water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who were maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other. There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group! You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting friend. Then you cross The Rainbow Bridge together never again to be separated....
Author Unknown

T
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear about your dog.  
I've had to do same many times in past and it never get easy.  Dogs do become members of the family.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That's rough, bro, I am thinking of ya for what that's worth.

Problem with damn dogs is they only last about 12 years or so and then they are gone.  I must be getting old because a couple of them now have gone on and left me.  And I don't feel any better about it now than I did then.

Hang in there . . .

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh man, 455SD, I'm sorry to hear that.  When I was 17, I had to put down our dog that joined the family when I was 5.  As medcop said, time will ease the pain.  Fortunately, you'll always have the great memories of when he was young and playful.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear it, my condolences. It's like losing your best friend I know. Any pet which shows and returns recognition and affection is as much a member of the family as any human. Just last monday my and I buried his ferret after 8-1/2 years. It was all I could do not to cry.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear you're going through this.  I've been there myself, similar circumstances.  Ending the suffering is the humane thing to do.  Myself and many will assure you that he is going to a better place.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I went through a lot of dogs as a kid - finally had a mutt that lasted 14 years, that we said for the last 3 years wouldn't make it another winter (she had become deaf and blind) but, every year would pull through.  That last year my girlfriends father was a Vet.  He put the dog down while I was asleep (I was working 7-12 hour night shifts and it happened kind of without me knowing).  The next animal was a hybrid wolf that became very, very close to me.  At 7 years she got cancer basically overnight and I spent over $1000 trying to save her.  I put her down myself (It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do).  Now I have a Chocolate Lab that is the closest that I have to a child and cannot imagine the day I will lose him as he is with me day and night and he trusts me without question.  I feel for you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Had to put my sheltie to sleep last year, hardest thing I've had to do in a long time. I had the choice of holding him when they gave the shot, first I said no and then I changed my mind, I'm glad he was in my arms when it happened though. I still miss him, was my best friend after my divorce. Sorry for your loss.

Byron
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies.

The real kicker is the poor gut is only 7 so I didn't expect to lose him for several more years. He quit eating and became very lethargic a few days ago. Last night he was having trouble breathing so my wife took him to the vet today. they drained a lot of fluid off his lungs to make more comfortable but said there was nothing else they could do.

I'll have to go in tomorrow just to see him before they put him out. My wife and I bought him as a puppy about two weeks after we got married, so he is really one of the family. This really sucks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, I really hate it for ya. I've never had to put down a pet, but I once found a cat on the side of the road that had been hit and left. I put it down with a pistol rather than let it suffer any longer, and buried it. It was hard as hell to do, and I felt like sh*t for doing it, but I cannot stand to see an animal in pain, and it was the only decent thing to do. It is hard, but dolphin72 is right: if it is suffering, it IS the right thing to do, man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top