Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:48:01 PM EDT
Most (well, all) gun laws in CA just utilize really fucked up reasoning that makes no sense to a rational mind. This law uses no reasoning. How the fuck does putting a 10 day wait on a firearm diminish my ability to commit homicide, given that I have a safe filled with guns at home?

Sorry about the rant, about to sign the paperwork for my Sako. It's such a tease getting to handle it and all, then having to set it away for 10 days. Oh well, just finished up my education in CA so I should be moving to a more freedom friendly state within the year.  

<Title edit.  Please don't use any form of the F-word in thread titles.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been known to buy a gun, pay for it, and come back a month later.   I've got what I need so I'm in no rush to find a space for another gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Move to a...oh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most (well, all) gun laws in CA just utilize really fucked up reasoning that makes no sense to a rational mind. This law uses no reasoning. How the fuck does putting a 10 day wait on a firearm diminish my ability to commit homicide, given that I have a safe filled with guns at home?

Sorry about the rant, about to sign the paperwork for my Sako. It's such a tease getting to handle it and all, then having to set it away for 10 days. Oh well, just finished up my education in CA so I should be moving to a more freedom friendly state within the year.  

What the hells a 10 day waiting period?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What is a waiting period?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
For those of you who seriously don't know what a waiting period is (not you sarcastic assholes ), its a fucked up law where after purchasing your firearm, you have to wait a 10 day 'cool down' period, prior to being able to pick it up and take it home.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not familiar with this term 'waiting period'.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
But it makes people feel safer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Something people in Florida put up with for 3 days, when they're not CCW holders but want a handgun anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]
What's a ten day waiting period?  Is that like where you have to date the gun and take it out to dinner a few times first?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
After you have 30 or 40 firearms you busy yourself with the others while waiting the next.

Tough trait to learn in a society of instant gradification.

*gratification

I currently own no hunting rifles. Not being able to go hunting this weekend with my friends because a retarded law has nothing to do with instant gratification.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
After you have 30 or 40 firearms you busy yourself with the others while waiting the next.

Is that how it's justified?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I know what you mean, I get bored wating during the 5 to 15 minutes it takes for the NICS check before I can leave with a gun
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I really hate that 3 minutes it takes for my online 4473 to be run.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Its called a "cooling down period"

Say you were really mad and wanted to wack someone, they think that if they make you wait 10 days you will no longer be mad enough to kill.

Not like you would just go out and buy a gun off the street or use a knife.

This law targets the people that need firearms the most. Like 99.9% of the gun laws out there it makes 0 sense.

Edit: We have a 3-5min "cooing-down" period here in WV
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that how it's justified?

Seriously. Violation of our freedom.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something people in Florida put up with for 3 days, when they're not CCW holders but want a handgun anyway.

I was being sarcastic.

Have a CCW and no waiting period for me.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I know what you mean, I get bored wating during the 5 to 15 minutes it takes for the NICS check before I can leave with a gun

I hate you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*gratification

I currently own no hunting rifles. Not being able to go hunting this weekend with my friends because a retarded law has nothing to do with instant gratification.

It gives you time to cool off and reconsider your choice to go hunting!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
be happy its 10!!

it used to be 15!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

We can still trade an old pistol in and pick up that brand new shiny one that we just bought on the same day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
For those of you who seriously don't know what a waiting period is (not you sarcastic assholes ), its a fucked up law where after purchasing your firearm, you have to wait a 10 day 'cool down' period, prior to being able to pick it up and take it home.

I dont even know why they think this is a good thing. Maybe, for first time gun buyers, but if you already have a butt load of guns at home, what is the fucking point
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Be happy. It used to be 15 days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the state.... teaching you patience.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont even know why they think this is a good thing. Maybe, for first time gun buyers, but if you already have a butt load of guns at home, what is the fucking point

Exactly my point. If it was for first time buyers, that would be a stupid law, but at least based on something (regardless of how retarded the reasoning is).

This is based on nothing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the state.... teaching you patience.  What's not to like?

exactly!

what sort of fool wants to take home his purchase that same day?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I live in a free state, sucks to live in CA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Waiting period make no sense to begin with, but when you make folks who already have registered pistols wait 10 days they are comical.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*gratification

so your buddy doesnt have anything that you can shoot on said trip ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I managed to get a great education while in CA at a university that excelled in my field, so now I can get a high paying job in a free state
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice shot
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Typically when I spend all my cash on toys I have something in hand to make myself feel better when theres no money to eat. When I walk out of the gun store all I have is some paper work and an empty wallet. Without items in hand the hit seems so much harder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul, as almost all Cali members here, has to listen to a bunch of shit on a daly basis, I am sure he does not feel like that, not to speak for him or anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about it for a minute comrade.

You want to kill someone really bad, do you

A: Go to a gun store knowing they have a 10 day waiting period
Or
B: Go into the local projects and pickup a $100 throw away.

The law is fucking stupid. Say you were a women and needed a gun to protect yourself from a crazed husband that has threatened your life. You better hope he doesn't act within the first 10 days or your fucked.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Move to RI, we have a 7 day "cooling off" period

I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
If ya don't like it, get together with your neighbors, and FIX IT,
Isn't it 'gummint by the peeple, for the peeple'?

Or, run away to a better place.
CA is gonna fall into the Pacific Ocean anyway.

IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul, as almost all Cali members here, has to listen to a bunch of shit on a daly basis, I am sure he does not feel like that, not to speak for him or anything.

He mocks instant gratification but says he deals with waiting periods by playing with guns he already owns (instant gratification).

A display of patience would but not attempting to instantly gratify the desire to shoot firearms.

His reasoning made no sense.

Patience would be having no firearms, purchasing your first one, waiting 10 days and not complaining.

Purchasing a firearm then using your others too pass time during the 10 day wait is not patience, its simply keeping yourself occupied and mind off of your recent purchase.

IMO, attempting to defend a completely ungrounded law in anyway is not cool.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

IMHO YMMV

Hey I'm a NRA member and have actively taken part in pro-gun demonstrations in the past (e.g. see CA arfcom forums). I've done my share to help. I have no obligation to stay in this state.

I was born in CA. It was my intention all along to get the cheaper instate tuition and then move after receiving a superb education.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO YMMV

Hey I'm a NRA member and have actively taken part in pro-gun demonstrations in the past (e.g. see CA arfcom forums). I've done my share to help. I have no obligation to stay in this state.

I was born in CA. It was my intention all along to get the cheaper instate tuition and then move after receiving a superb education.

1 Word. Burrito
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Hows that new glock you filled out the paperwork on at your ffl doing, oh wait, you cant buy it!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#46]
10 DAYS!!   IM PISSED NOW!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#47]
If you really want to get annoyed with waiting periods, get into NFA weapons. I had to wait 6 weeks to get a CLEO signature on the Form 1 for my SBR build, now I'm expecting to wait 3mo for the ATF to process it, so over 5mo from start to finish.

And I'm thinking about making another SBR and an SBS later this year.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was being sarcastic.

Have a CCW and no waiting period for me.  

Low hanging fruit. I had to do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't like it, move. Simple.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Don't like it, move. Simple.

Did you read the whole post? I explained that I plan on moving, and had to say for my education.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top