Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 4:46:04 PM EDT
I know, pretty boring topic, but the program we use at work is AWFUL.

I need to keep track of a lot of equipment that goes out on jobs. We have RedBeam for bar-coding and scanning gear in and out. It sucks so hard, I have to buckle my belt extra tight when I go in, or else I'll lose my pants and any other loose clothing I happen to be wearing.

To give you an idea, the scanner gun is not a laser, but a bright red LED light with a camera in the center that presumably reads the barcode that has been illuminated by the light. Works in theory, but we have to cover our labels with clear cellophane tape to protect them from damage, and this sometimes screws with the sensor and it often takes up to 5 seconds for the gun to read the barcode. You also have to hold the gun at EXACTLY the right angle and distance from the label or it won't read at all. Also, the bar code must be read "right side up", and not from another direction. To make things even MORE fun, the scanner shuts itself off after three minutes or so, and when you go to scan something, you have to wait about 10 seconds for it to link up with the base station again.

Then there's the reporting system that EXPORTS everything to MS Excel for viewing. You can't see the status of ANY jobs unless you export it first. Oh, and sometimes it freezes up, and won't update the HUNDREDS of items I spent the last hour scanning in, leaving me no choice but to enter them all in by hand rather than dig all the gear back out and re-scan it.

There are also TONS of little shitty details that are too minute to describe here, but they happen ALL the time and are presumably the result of shitty engineering and little to no beta testing. There are features and glitches that wouldn't be there if they had been paying attention when they wrote the damn thing.

So,  I know this is a really bad rant, and it's about as interesting as watching snails fuck, but I am at my wits end here. This program is costing me a LOT of time in wasted effort to accommodate its bugs and quirks.

I'm looking for a program that's intuitive, easy to learn and preferably has a LASER scanning gun, and not this glorified flashlight bullshit I have now. Does anyone work with a system they really like? Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top