Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 11:05:17 AM EDT
We have three computers here at work...  One desktop PC and two laptops.
All three access the www via the same router.

Around lunchtime today... BOTH laptops started having internet trouble...  Both show "connected" but won't open any web pages.

Tried switching ports, tried repairing connections, tried power cycling everything, etc...  Still no luck.
I'm posting this from the (last working)desktop PC...

Both laptops are fairly new...  one (mine) is a Toshiba running WinXP Pro, the other is a Sony running Vista. Both went down at the same time and neither can be figured out...

Anybody have any hunches ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
ISP problem?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
are the laptops wireless?  i'm assuming the pc is hardwired.

wireless problems?  might try to switch to a different frequency in the router settings.

maybe you got some new wireless neighbors that are causing interference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope... everything is hard wired...

All the PCs plug into the same Netopia router...  which plugs into the DSL modem.

I *think* we may get routed into a company server at another location... and access the www via that server...  if that's even possible ?  I dunno...

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, right.   Like I'm even gonna click on this...wait...Oh, SNAP!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Ping your DNSs
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We have three computers here at work...  One desktop PC and two laptops.
All three access the www via the same router.

Around lunchtime today... BOTH laptops started having internet trouble...  Both show "connected" but won't open any web pages.

Tried switching ports, tried repairing connections, tried power cycling everything, etc...  Still no luck.
I'm posting this from the (last working)desktop PC...

Both laptops are fairly new...  one (mine) is a Toshiba running WinXP Pro, the other is a Sony running Vista. Both went down at the same time and neither can be figured out...

Anybody have any hunches ?
Sorry about that. My bot army is growing, but give me your ip and ill remove my bots from them
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ping your DNSs

Um. OK.

How do we do that ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
try winsockfix.exe , you can google it, download it from a bunch of places. It will repair your TCP stack.

It's a free utility , you might want to run a full virus and spyware scan first then apply.

Sounds like you need to walk it over, it will fit on a floppy or of course a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Well...  for some stupid reason...  now we have internet again.

Hmmm...  It has me wondering.

I called our in house IT guy a few times re the problem... asked him about the possibility that our mac addys got inadvertantly blocked...  and amazingly enough, a few minutes after that conversation... we have web access again.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I called our in house IT guy a few times re the problem... asked him about the possibility that our mac addys got inadvertantly blocked...  and amazingly enough, a few minutes after that conversation... we have web access again.

you didnt fall for my trap
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Weird how that works out
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
There are always new viruses.
You need autoupdating protection software.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top