Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 8:55:25 AM EDT
Not much of a story.  When Turk Mausers were $45 bucks each, I bought quite a few and gave them to family, in-laws, responsible friends of my sons, etc.  A Mauser is a great gift.  For many of my son's friends, it was their first firearm.  Often they were from a family that would likely never buy a firearm.  I would always get mom and dad's permission first before offering to the young man.  I would tell him that I had seen that he was responsible and that his parents and I believed in him.  He would then have to clean it and put it back together before taking it home.

One of these I gave to a now ex in-law was stolen.  The investigating deputy (also an ex in-law now) contacted me asking for the SN.  I was able to supply all of the info.  With this info, the SO was able to shut down a burglary ring and send some worthless piles of manure off to the Texas Department of Corrections for some man-love.

Or, and the rightful owner got his rifle back.

Any other stories?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]
not me, but i have only sold one weapon so. well there you go.

should be a good topic thow
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have sold a handful of them from pistols to rifles.  I have all original paperworks and info on who I sold it to.  I hope not
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor had his mini 14 stolen in 1990.

3 months later the FBI showed up on his front door step with questions.

The gun was used in a bank robbery and they had recovered it. Traced to my neighbor.

Neighbor produced the theft report and all was good. He did not want the gun back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive always wondered about that.  A close friend of mine (who I helped her list the car) sold a car for cash to a guy who turned out never changed the registration and robbed a convience store.  A warrant was issued for the owners address and the cops showed up.  She showed them a bill of sale (that I help her with) which of course had a fake name but the cops were satisfied.  A few statements and paperwork later and all was resolved.  They found the guy a few days later.    I am sure this has probably happened to many guns owners.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The gun was used in a bank robbery and they had recovered it. Traced to my neighbor.

Neighbor produced the theft report and all was good. He did not want the gun back.

Shoot, I would have wanted it back.  Firearms are expensive nowdays Yo!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Remington Mohawk 600 that a lady used to kill herself. Bought it from her boyfriend who didn't want it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And some would say we don't have gun registration in the US . . .

-p.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Savage 110fp.  Traded it to a gun shop about 1999 for a ruger m77.  Went in a few months later, the dealer told me the FBI had came and picked it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Always, always, always make a bill-of-sale when transferring a firearm. No matter who you are transferring it to. Try to get a copy of their I.D. also. Always have a someone to point your finger at should the feds come knockin'.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would have wanted the gun back, even if it was a Mini 14.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a SAR1 and an H&K USPf .45 stolen after a break in. I got a call from an ATF agent named Michael Moore about a year later. He said they busted a gun smuggling ring in NJ and it was being sold there. I had already been compensated by the insurance company so I would have had to buy it back from them.
I didn't like the idea of funding the ATF so I let them keep it.

Honestly at first I thought the phone call was my neighbor messing with me. I was laughing and cracking wise about the famous movie hero named Mikey Moore. Until he read me my SS# and some other personal information. It made me really worried about my dogs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a S&W wheel gun that I traded into another dealer. I got a call a year later that it was used in a murder. Checked my bound book and told them who I transferred it to. End of my part in that story.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#14]
As a saleman, sold a gentleman a Charter Arms .38 that he used to kill himself with a week later.  Also bought two firearms that had previously been brought in by family members who's son and father had used to off themselves with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I sold a Ruger P89 about 7 years ago. My wife called me at work last summer saying the sheriff was at our house asking for me. She put him on the phone and he asked me if I had that gun or remembered having it. Apparently a speeder was stopped in Minnesota, and had some drugs in the car. They also found "my" 9MM, and ran it through ATF. Papers were there, the dealer I bought the gun from was long since closed. Said I sold the gun 6-7 years ago and who to. Sheriff said that's about what they thought the case would be, but just wanted to meke sure there wasn't a theft or illegal sale to worry about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top