Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 6:19:30 AM EDT
Found this REALLY nice tract of timber, landowner was interested, found boundary lines and did a cruise.

Just got off the phone with the guy and said the absolute worst thing: "So what do I owe you for your work"

It is about the equivalent of a woman saying "lets just be friends".  I now have timber blue  balls...........
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
sux

burn it down!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It's always the one that got away that sticks with you.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
So, you don't have a woody right now?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not now, but I did when I was looking at it.  That evening my wife said "what has gotten into you tonight, you're an animal"
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell him it's $2K, or free if he sells.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't charge for estimates to begin with do you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You don't charge for estimates to begin with do you?
No, my job is to buy timber, not to make money doing timber appraisals.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not now, but I did when I was looking at it.  That evening my wife said "what has gotten into you tonight, you're an animal"

Jeeze...get a room.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 50 acres of black cherry and black walnut in Gormania, WV that will be ready in about ten years...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have 50 acres of black cherry and black walnut in Gormania, WV that will be ready in about ten years...

How much black walnut?  Hello retirement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
To be honest,at this point, no one knows where the timber/forest products industry will be 1 year from now.  5 years ago you couldn't give walnut away, last year it peaked at a CRAZY high value, ditto for cherry.  Now, walnut as cooled off and cherry is experiencing major suckage.  I have a 30 acre tract bought with a large quantity of cherry that I regret buying.  At least I have a year to cut it.

Best thing going right now is high end white oak.(which is on the property that gave me wood, no pun intended).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To be honest,at this point, no one knows where the timber/forest products industry will be 1 year from now.  5 years ago you couldn't give walnut away, last year it peaked at a CRAZY high value, ditto for cherry.  Now, walnut as cooled off and cherry is experiencing major suckage.  I have a 30 acre tract bought with a large quantity of cherry that I regret buying.  At least I have a year to cut it.

Best thing going right now is high end white oak.(which is on the property that gave me wood, no pun intended).
some one offered him more $$$ you know
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

some one offered him more $$$ you know
Yup, I have been shopped.  Happens all the time, someone will offer $500 more and end up getting it without doing any work.  I have done the same.........part of it.  Forest products is the most cut throat industry out there.......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
if he sells based on your work, you should definitely ask for a percentage of the value or appraisal....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
So, how does this all work? I am buying 12 acres that has lots and lots of trees on it. Most of the pine on the back half has been harvested but there are some left up front. Most of whats left in the back are Oak and other hardwoods. I would like to clear out some of the trees so that I can get around a bit in the back parts. Do people harvest (buy) just a few trees or do they want the whole thing? BTW, this is in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, how does this all work? I am buying 12 acres that has lots and lots of trees on it. Most of the pine on the back half has been harvested but there are some left up front. Most of whats left in the back are Oak and other hardwoods. I would like to clear out some of the trees so that I can get around a bit in the back parts. Do people harvest (buy) just a few trees or do they want the whole thing? BTW, this is in Texas.
Depends on access, tree quality, size, stocking, local markets and distance from the nearest sawmill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#18]
So why not send him a bill for your surveying work at least?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
+1, $500/day sounds reasonable.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That doesn't get me any closer to getting the timber (which is the goal)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd send him a bill.

Or tell him you will dispose of the trees for free.

@ 2.30 per mile trucks are not cheap. I think my price per mile is less than most of my competition.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That doesn't get me any closer to getting the timber (which is the goal)

But you're not getting the timber anyway right? He went with someone else that offered more right? why not get what you can?  Or has be not committed to a company yet and just used your services and now is shopping around?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:Or has be not committed to a company yet and just used your services and now is shopping around?
Probably

This is like having a hot chick accept your diner invitation, you indent on it going all the way and while eating dinner you think it is in the bag.  After diner, she wants to be just friends.  Now at that point, do you really care about the money you spent on the dinner?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top