Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 5:18:27 AM EDT
After winning the futile fight, I'm now in need of internet service at home.  I'm at work now, which is how I'm able to post this (just to avoid any questions that were bound to come up)

Suggestions?

Bonus points if it doesn't involve getting a phone line, or a satellite dish (because I'm on the northeast corner of a condo building and need a view of the southwest sky for that).

Ideas?

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#1]
(Shrug)

Cable modem?

Doesn't require cable anymore around here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you want cable. Enjoy your shitty comcast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks like you want cable. Enjoy your shitty comcast.

Oh lord....  Other options??  I realize I'm narrowing it down to the point of impractical...

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Hughsnet?
Edit-I'm a dumbass for not seeing that you live on the northeast corner of a condo.
or AT&T U-Verse?

or Wide Open West?

My family has Comcast.  As long as you don't have to talk to internet tech support, you'll be OK I guess.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Cable internet is the way to go.
Best speed for the best price, little if any hassle, and a reliable connection.
Bonus - you can watch TV online...

and you can use a variety of VOIP services as a phone line.
(i.e. my "landline" phone is a $20/yr MagicJack)

FIOS is supposed to be fast, but thats also a verizon product, costs more, and isn't available everywhere.

You do Not have to have cable TV to have internet. I have no TV service anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hughsnet?
Edit-I'm a dumbass for not seeing that you live on the northeast corner of a condo.
or AT&T U-Verse?

or Wide Open West?

My family has Comcast.  As long as you don't have to talk to internet tech support, you'll be OK I guess.

Both unavailable in my area

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm chatting online with a Verizon rep to see if I can get DSL without phone service.   They said it was possible, but then gave me a link with instructions and it said otherwise.

I think I might start to get some kind of sick and twisted pleasure out of screwing with these online reps.

And yet I ask myself - I just broke up with them.  Why am I considering them again?

Well, because they're about $20 less a month...  But is it worth the savings?

Decisions decisions...

_MaH

ETA: That whole part above about screwing with the Verizon rep?  Doing it right now.  Absolutely loving it  Makes me feel vindicated for yesterday
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't go back to Verizon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't go back to Verizon.

I apparently can't.  So at this point I'm just wasting a Verizon employee's time like they wasted mine.

Might actually not be a Verizon employee, but they're still an agent and that counts in my book.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Is Charter an option? Or how about Bellsouth?  Or non AT&T internets
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#11]
It stayed kinda tame because I remembered that I did actually provide them my legitimate address, but I found the exchange to be amusing nevertheless.

Jonea: Let me send you information on where you can see the pricing.

Jonea: Here is the availability verification page. Enter your address below the telephone number field and click GO. If High Speed Internet is available, you may proceed with your order by clicking 'Order'.

Jonea: http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/channels/dsl/checkavailability/default.asp

you: interesting

you: it says verizon doesn't offer service in my area

you: and i used the same address i provided you

Jonea: You click on the link I just sent you above?

you: i did

you: i put in my address since i don't have a phone number

Jonea: Correct, that's what you should have done.  Did you put the apartment number and everything?

you: yes i did

you: it did some searching for an address, found one and provided me that to select or to retry the address - i selected the match it found

Jonea: What browser are you using?

you: firefox

Jonea: We are having problems with our customer's that are using Firefox.  Would you mind trying Internet Explorer?

you: Unfortunately, I can't. I'm running a Linux setup - no IE.

Jonea: Can you use a different computer?

you: I only have one...

Jonea: Can you use a friend or relative's computer?

you: Well, all my friends use Linux also and I don't have any relatives in the area... I wish I could use a co-worker's computer, but in our environment it's all open source - so more and more linux abound. Microsoft is kind of a four-letter-word around here...

you: Firefox hasn't given me problems before - are you sure this is a problem with my browser and not with the website?

Jonea: All of our customer's that use Firefox have problems.  What about your local library?  If you don't do the order online you won't get the online promotional offers.

you: The promotional offers are only for online? Why's that? I couldn't call to order and get this offer?

Jonea: Yes, we have online promotions and I don't know what the offers would be if you called to order.

you: So, there's offers if I do it online, and offers if I do it over the phone, but nobody in each area knows what the offers are via the other method?

Jonea: Correct.  I have heard that the offers online are better but I don't know the offers when you order over the telephone.  I did hear that you have to pay for the equipment if you order over the telephone and if you order online the equipment is included.

you: What if I already have the equipment?

Jonea: Then you can elect not to get it however, if there's not a charge for it why not get it?

you: So you're saying that I *can* elect to not pay the equipment costs are if I already have them?

Jonea: I'm saying if you order online you have an option to select no equipment.

you: But apparently I can't order online because I have the wrong browser. Would I have that option if I called in the order?

Jonea: As stated above I don't know what is offered over the phone.

you: Hmmm

you: Okay, what's the phone number?

Jonea: The number is (800) 567-6789.

you: Okay, guess I'll give them a call

you: Thanks for your help, and if you can, pass it up the line that Verizon should do whatever it can to provide the same experience with Firefox that they do with IE

Jonea: Your welcome and I will certainly pass your comments upward.

Edited to make it colorful
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You will need whats called a "dry loop" with your DSL. Since you have to have a phone line for DSL, this gives you the line but with no calling features, a phone will not work with it, its juts enough for the DSL to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top