Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 6:59:33 PM EDT
We've all seen amazing comebacks in sports on TV and in historical footage of some sort. Some of us are even lucky enough to have been attending games where history has been made. However, I'm wondering what kind of amazing comebacks (if any) you've been involved in while playing sports or competing in some way. It doesn't have to have happened in a serious league or anything.

For me, two events come to mind. The first was senior year of high school soccer. We were playing a team that we had played for the last 8+ years as a school. After playing ~15 games against them, we were 0-15. We had never once beaten them. Every time we played them they absolutely wiped the floor we us. We always were a good team (made the playoffs every year), but we could never beat these guys.

At the end of the first half the score was 2-0 them. It made it all the way down to about 10 minutes left in the second half. We ended up scoring 3 unanswered goals, with the last one come with about 2 minutes left. Even though it wasn't a playoff game and didn't mean much for standings, it meant everything to those of us who had lost to them for so many years.

The other game I can think of was intramural floor hockey in college . We were in a playoff format, so if we lost we were out. The game was the semi-finals and we were losing 4-3 (I think) with less than a minute left. We had been losing 4-1 at one point. I was playing forward and was our best forward, so I wanted the puck, bad. With about 10 seconds to go my teammate had brought the puck up to the middle of the court. With the defense playing up on him a bit, he threw the puck toward the net in an act of desperation.

The goalie made a routine save but gave up a costly rebound off to the side. I happened to be standing on the right side, where the puck bounced to. Unfortunately I was at a terrible angle for a shot. I was about 10 degrees off the line with the goal, so I had about a 3" gap of angle to hit. As the goalie shifted over I brought the puck toward me slightly then fired a shot to the upper right corner. I had probably a 3"x3" window as I stood ~4 feet away from the net. I nailed it perfectly to score. I don't think I could have made that shot if I had tried it 50 times before that. Time expired right after I had made the goal.

We went nuts after tying the game. We went to OT and ended up winning within 30 seconds of the extra time starting. I will never forget how much fun that game was.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Our 2003 game at home against Florida.  We were down 23 going into the end of the 3rd quarter and came back.  It was electrifying, and a great day to be a Miami Hurricane.

story

O, and just a quick reminder,  the Gaytors havn't beat us since 1984....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Our 2003 game at home against Florida.  We were down 23 going into the end of the 3rd quarter and came back.  It was electrifying, and a great day to be a Miami Hurricane.

story

You played on the Hurricane football team?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

story

He washed the jock straps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

story

eh, missed the part where you specified we had to be on the team, though crowd noise did probably cause several of the miscues on the UF offense and defense
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
High school age community baseball.  My last year, I was 15.
Despite me having a .423 batting average, we sucked. Our fielding sucked so badly that we consistently lost games in the double digits.

After having an 0-12 season, we started the playoffs.  Everyone makes the playoffs.  We were the last seed obviously. The set up was this, we had a morning game...if we won, we would then have to play the next team that afternoon. If we lost, like we expected, then that was it.

We won the first game like 8 to 5. We could not believe it. We then had to play another game, and if we won that, we, the fricking worst team in the league, was two wins from the world series.

We went down by 5 or 6, it went back and fourth. It got to the bottom of the 9th. We got within one when I came up to bat with a man on 2nd and 3rd.  The pitcher was a kid I did not get a long with at all.  He threw a ball, then a strike, then he threw a ball over the plate but head high. I swung.  My father screamed NNNNOOOOOOO as I swung and then YYYYYESSSSSSSSSS! as the ball rocketed over the second basemans head.

Both runners scored.

We lost the next game. But damnit, we did not win a single game all year, and then won two games in one day against hard teams, and I got to be the classic 9th inning winning hit.   Great damn day.

ETA my father kept stats on my batting. I went to the batting cage about 5 times a week and hit token after token after token.
ETA the 4th playoff game was the game for 3rd place. We lost that too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the video that inspired this thread.

Manchester United in the 1999 champions league final. 2 goals in stoppage time to win 2-1

youtube.com/watch?v=P3FRR0NOZAo
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
leaving a movie the other nite with the family,

three dumb male teenagers making asses of themselves are walking down the sidewalk and for some reason, one of them yells to me....

30 minutes man, you got 30 minutes

so I yell back

oh yeah, you got a lifetime of being stupid ahead of you.

his friends laughed, my family laughed and I felt good.

oh you meant a sports comeback...not a witty reparte
sorry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

story

I thought you really meant 2002 with Ohio State
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top