BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if the room is small and filled with Rastafarians.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
As I understand it - unless you are REALLY huffing it - no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Id say it might be possible, depending on density of smoke, time of exposure, and sensitivity of test.

for a standard 'drug screening' probably not though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably depends on the "ventilation" in the room and the concentration of the smoke
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
No, read something published in a medical journal years ago. They somehow came to the conclusion that it would take about 5 people smoking bongs in a phone booth to get enough THC to show up in your system to trigger it on a piss test.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Only if you inhale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the test.

DOT testing to Federal standards have a limit set to rule out that kind of incidental exposure.  Not only is secondhand smoke an issue, but the infamous poppy seeds cause real problems too.

Bottom line is, with DOT tests the thresholds are set so high, that a positive test is definitely a positive test.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Should have said yes and watch the reaction on his face.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago I'd say no, now with how sensitive some of the tests are............I don't know, I probably would not take the chance personally.

Of course if it's true that it won't "positive" then I'd say any secondhand cig smoke is completely harmless also and well below harmful levels also. What would the tobacco banners say about THAT?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I take random hair tests and was told before i went to a Metallica concert that the smoke there would not cause a positive the nurse said i would have to be a regular user to show +
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
For a standard drug test, ie pre-employment, no..

The room would have to be a almost total white out hotbox to show.

In a standard drug test they look for fairly large amounts of drugs... If something shows up they will then take the sample to GC (gas chromatograph) for further ID and to test what exactly the levels are...

If they were to GC the sample right off (not standard as it is expensive and takes time) it may show but would be at trace levels.

The level would be so low as it would be very hard to be sure it came from weed... Even if you were to take a hit or two off a joint it most likely would not show on a standard test or could be passed off as "casual contact / false positive"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
TWA.  Time weighted average.  Long enough, sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
You'd have to be in the Spiccoli van for it to show up positive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What if you catch a whiff of the body odor of someone who has just smoked it?

Happened to me once at a theme park as I was leaving and a guy that just smoked reefer came in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Doing it once is experimental, maybe even twice.

But 259 times?   Sorry.

Sorry, wrong thread.  Second hand shouldn't be enough to make you fail a drug test.  Hell, three days before my initial medical screenining for the AF, I was at a concert surrounded by weed smokers.  Didn't fail any drug tests.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
No Fucking Way
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Happened to me once at a theme park as I was leaving and a guy that just smoked reefer came in.

I'd guess that 95% of everyone here has smelled pot before.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like when I used to be a PO, "I was in a car with people who smoked..." SURE!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Should the test pick it up, can they pick it up, will it hurt me? Those are a lot of ifs.

Assume the answer to all the above is yes, behave accordingly and you will be fine. Otherwise you are rolling the dice with your career, job prospect, or your freedom.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Doubt it.

Maybe a non-negative on an instantaneous test (older style) but a good lab should realize its in the +/- dept. of their machine and let it go.

That is if they are just "there" and not really "participating."  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
NO ........................................................Experience Talking here
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was asked this today. I said no.

I am not a scientist but I would imagine you are wrong.
Of course it could.
If you breathe in marijuana smoke you will test positive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Most piss tests will have a margin of error just slightly above a polygraph test.

Contact exposure shouldn't show up, but literally anything is possible on those tests.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I was a Store Manager at Home Depot. We had a class one time where a Lab weenie came in and told us about the drug tests. He told us that if someone popped positive on a piss test they were smoking. If they said they were just in a room where someone was doing it, to tell them what he said, which was this: "The only way you can pop positive from secondhand smoke is to be in a room the size of a telephone booth, and the telephone booth is so filled with marijuana smoke that you can't see from one side to the other, and you need to be in that telephone booth for four hours."

If someone pops positive, they smoked. And unlike Bubba--they really DID inhale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Are we talking sitting across the room while your buddy burns one, or having to take a long crap in the bathroom at a Phish concert?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#28]
If they use the hair follicle test, yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not a scientist but I would imagine you are wrong.
Of course it could.
If you breathe in marijuana smoke you will test positive.

False.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
keep the anecdotes coming.  this is some useful info
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Theres a limit set so you can have a little THC in your system on a test.

Unless the room is completely hotboxed and your inhaling like a motherfucker, nah you wont test positive.

The smoke that gets blown out will barely have ANY thc in it
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Most test's measure the concentration of THC in ng/dl of your blood. under 100 ng/dl results in a negative which allows for some room for accidental exposure (well, depends how strict whoever is testing you is). over 100 ng/dl is enough to make someone feel the effects.

As far as exposure in a room of smoke, i wouldent worry much about the smoke being released from the people smoking, but i'd worry about the smoke coming from the joint/bong/pipe/whatever the hell they are using. The smoke that people have already inhaled has very little THC left in it. You would have to be taking alot of nice deep breaths to fail a drug test or get a "contact" buzz.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, you can become contact high. It will only remain in your system for like 24 hours, after that you are clean.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude!  I failed a drug test once.

But I don't smoke pot. I'm allergic to it.

The day before my drug test I was in a car with lots of other people and someone lit up a joint!  I said "Dude, put that joint out!".  But before they put it out I inhaled some of the smoke.  

The next day - I failed the drug test.

True story!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#35]
there is the blotter paper test, and then a mass spec test. The first test no, the second test, yes you can, for a fact.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
An earlier reply brings up a question in my head :

Just how many times is considered 'experimental' ?  

Is five times 20 years ago just as experimental as having tried it two times five years ago?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If they use the hair follicle test, yes

no again. the thc content needs to be X amount in your bloodstream. the fat in the follicle would have to have absorbed 1/2-1 joint min from a consistent partaker of the herbage to flunk a test.
most piss test are a 5 panel. the 10 panel is done @ the request of the company doing the hiring. those test also look for signs of THC blockers like  piss free etc, that mask the THC content.
keep in mind piss ain't cheap, even though you can go to the local headshop and pick up a similar test that will tell you if your pass or fail.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]
We collect urine for our drug tests.

Several years ago, when I first started, one of my "clients" gave me this BS.

I called the lab we use and spoke to a scientist. The scientist replied in a negative fashion and sent a notorized letter stating as such so that I could use it in court.

I've been told by other folks that it is TECHNICALLY possible, but you;d have to be in a room the size of a jail cell with several people toking up constantly for several hours and even if it test positive, it'd be in the lower range, ie: 20 ng/ml.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes. I can tell you from experience, yes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
radio station here did an "un-official experiment" by having 4 people smoke in a car with one person not smoking, the test came back negative. It was brought on because one of the local pro-sports players got a positive hit and said it was because he was in a car with people who where smoking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No, read something published in a medical journal years ago. They somehow came to the conclusion that it would take about 5 people smoking bongs in a phone booth to get enough THC to show up in your system to trigger it on a piss test.

That's how I got busted.

I was trying to call a cab...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to be a major pot-head before I joined the USCG. The CG did many surprise piss tests especially after coming back from leave or doing a large bust. My jerk-off friends, used to blow hits right in my face while we were in the car and at times the car was so foggy my vision was obsecured. Power windows locked while sitting in back sucked. And even after a few of those ball-busting pranks, nothing ever came up on me. Scared the crap out of me, but no positive tests.

Opium based stomach medicines or any narcotic based medicines will get you in trouble, make sure your doctor keep good records and have your proof of prescription handy. On flight status, they were super anal about what we had in our systems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a couple of guys try that one after they popped hot for the company piss test. They were shocked when got a field grade article 15, they thought the story would hold water. Sorry guys, that dog don't hunt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#45]
NO NO and NO, You cannot test positive for being in a smokey room. Even in a "hotboxed" car you cannot fail a DT from just being inside.

There is no such thing as contact high. People are full of shit if they claim they are getting high just being in contact with MJ smokers.

I one time when to a KottenMouth Kings concert. It was an indoors at a small bar. On que about 150 people lit everything from massive blunts to bongs and pipes. I dont smoke weed, but was a little freaked out by how much smoke was in the air. No I didnt get a cantact high. And to top it off....most of the weed being smoked wasnt your regular street weed, this stuff was as they say "kind bud" or very expensive stuff. That place was so smokey it was hard to see any thing at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
As far as I know, no.

Testing as being on opium after eating a poppy seed kolache, though... that worries me. Being half Czech I've always loved poppy seed kolache. It'd be like my German half testing positive for sausage and lager.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk once...  Mom was just fine!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
As far as I know, no.

Testing as being on opium after eating a poppy seed kolache, though... that worries me. Being half Czech I've always loved poppy seed kolache. It'd be like my German half testing positive for sausage and lager.

They have raised the thresholds on the 5 panel to avoid false positives from poppy seeds, but it can still happen. What is stange is that your body turns codiene and or heroine into morphine once ingested, but the poppy seeds themselves contain trace amounts of morphine at best. Morphine is the "active ingredient" of opium and what they are looking for durring the 5 panel, the seeds must contain a similar alkaloid that creates the same byproduct in your wizz. To get a possitive for morphine from opioids like those in vicodin or percoset you would have to eat pills until you were full.

As far as the pot goes you will not fail by being around others smoking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#49]
A piss test = no.

A hair test = yes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#50]
iffen you smell like it from being in a roomful of tokers and da cop stops you at 2-3 in the am he will be smelling that alongside that country road and explain that to him how you happen to smell like a party lizard and drinking probably ect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top