Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:15 PM EDT
when they ask if there are any guns in the car?

OK, so you are polite and cooperative, but what happens when they ask about guns (assuming you have already informed them about ccw)?  Do you clam up?  Lie?   Refuse to answer?  If you answer in the positive, they'll want to see them.  Do you refuse then?  Does acknowledgement of possession equate to reasonable suspicion for search and or seizure?

Popcorn check.......let the games begin.

SRM
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
This should be good...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Telling a lie makes em wonder what else you'd lie about.

Cops here are cool with guns though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been asked that question.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This should be good...

coming from a terrorist
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I tell them that I have a CCW and I am carrying.  I've only been pulled over twice with it, and they just asked me where it was.  They never took me out of the car or disarmed me or searched my car.

Having a CCW is not grounds for the police to search your car.  At least not in TX.

Edit:  If I had a rifle or long gun in the car, I don't think I would tell them unless they asked me if I had any other weapons in the car.  No sense in lying, but you don't have to exactly come forth with info if they don't ask.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF?

Does the law require you to tell them or not?
Yes or No
If No
Do you choose to tell them?
Yes or No
If yes then be prepared for them to ask about it.

The ball is in your court.

ETA Why would they want to search? I'm confused?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure . What do you need?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Telling a lie makes em wonder what else you'd lie about.

Cops here are cool with guns though.

Where there is 1 there is usually 2 or more that goes with lies too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
A few months ago I get pulled over by a hundred pound pre-teen girl wearing a SAPD uniform and driving the car.

11pmish

.5O- Hi I pulled you over because you rolled through that stop back there.

Me- I know I saw you coming but didn't want to get stuck behind everyone behind you

.5O- DL and insurance?

Me- (hands over expired DL and insurance) I also have my CCW.

.5O- Are there any guns in the truck?

Me- probably nine or ten pistols, a few rifles and a 12ga in the back.

.5O

Me- We went to the range today.

.5O-
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]

I've often wondered about this, in particular, when going to/from the range. I will typically have 3-6 EBR's and 3-5 pistols. Always wondered what the reaction would be. Would they run all the serial numbers? That would make for a very time consuming traffic stop and borderline harassment in my opinion.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
"Other than my CCW? I don't know. I don't think so."
"Mind if I look?"
"No, you may not look".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Cop:  Any guns in the vehicle sir?

Me:  Fuck you pig!  You'll never take me alive.

Then the shooting starts.
Man, I am one tough son of a bitch on the internet.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't usually work around cars, buuut.

Don't lie.  If I ask, you say no, and I find something while in a space legally, there are going to be some big issues.

I have to ask.  By policy, it's part of our standard greeting.  

Plus, reasonable suspicion is not enough to conduct a search, make an arrest, or seize property.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I hit a DUI stop a few months back and was open carrying. The cops looked in at my gun and told me to have a safe drive home

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]
got pulled over one time headed to the hunt club for a week..had 2 shotguns, 2 rifles and 3 handguns in the Explorer plus the loaded glock on my hip...back of Explorer was loaded with coolers and duffle bags full of gear plus a hitch hall on the back with 2 treestands...
VASP trooper pulled me for speeding and asked for my license.  I told him I was carrying a pistol on my hip and that I had a permit.  He asked if my license was near my pistol and I said yes.  He told me to slow down and have a nice day.

Plus 1 for the VASP!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Don't lie.  If I ask, you say no, and I find something while in a space legally, there are going to be some big issues.

Plus, reasonable suspicion is not enough to conduct a search, make an arrest, or seize property

Then why even ask?  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus, reasonable suspicion is not enough to conduct a search, make an arrest, or seize property

Then why even ask?  

I might be confused here about what you are asking, but by poilcy I have to ask if you have any weapons.

the OP said something about lying giving the officer RS to seach and seize.  You need PC to search, seize, and arrest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I just say no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I might be confused here, but by poilcy I have to ask if you have any weapons.

the OP said something about lying giving the officer RS to seach and seize.  You need PC to search, seize, and arrest.

I guess what I'm asking and I think that the original poster is getting at is:

If you are required to ask about weapons, and the person answers, then what?

If one says yes, is this implying consent to  a search?  

If one says no, is this grounds for a search?

If this doesn't give you the authority to search they why ask the question?

This just seems like a fishing trip to a lot of law abiding civilians, that's why this type of question comes up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I am surprised that no one has said it yet......

LEO-"Do you have any guns in the vehicle?"

Me-"These aren't the droids you are looking for".....

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be confused here, but by poilcy I have to ask if you have any weapons.

I guess what I'm asking and I think that the original poster is getting at is:

If you are required to ask about weapons, and the person answers, then what?

If one says yes, is this implying consent to  a search?  

If one says no, is this grounds for a search?

If this doesn't give you the authority to search they why ask the question?

This just seems like a fishing trip to a lot of law abiding civilians, that's why this type of question comes up.

If a person answers "yes", I have a some options.  I can disarm the person or I can let them keep thier weapon and explain proper conduct during thier interaction with me (like don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine)

If someone says no, I still don't assume they don't have a weapon.  That doesn't give me grounds to conduct a search.  If at some point I feel the person may have a weapon, I can frisk the person.  That is not a search.  Reasonable suspicion is required for a frisk, probable cause for a search.

In the end, it's all about active info seeking.  The more aware I am of what's going around me, the better.  If you say yes, you do have a weapon, I keep that in mind just in case things start to go south.  If you say no, and things start to go south, I can't discount the fact that you may have a weapon, but it's a possibility.

the question isn't asked to try and "bust" you for something.  It's asked so we as the officer have an idea of what we could potentially have to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fair enough!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top