Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 5:43:34 PM EDT
There was a thread a couple of days ago about whether you like it hot or cold.  And I mentioned that I feel hot all the time.  Well, I'll just copy my post;

I don't know why, but my body is like a furnace.  Not so much that I feel hot, although I would much prefer the cold.  But it's like my skin is hot to the touch.  When I'm sitting in one spot for very long, or in bed in one position, it's like whatever is against my skin gets uncomfortably warm.  If it's the least bit humid my side of the car fogs up like crazy.  I've never heard anyone else describe anything else quite like it, but it's really uncomfortable at times.

and someone responded;

The chinese call it that ying and can be fixed by diet.  I bet you eat alot of fried things and eat very little green vegetables or fruit.  Also drinking too much cold beverage can cause this and meat.  Women tend to have the opposite problem when they are imbalanced by diet and are cold.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or know what it's called (if it has a name)?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife is always feeling cold, but her skin is always hot to the touch.  I attribute her feeling cold due to having a larger variance between skin/body temp and ambient temp.  As to why her skin is always so hot, I have no clue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens to me and my diet is mostly vegan and barely any fried food (although I do drink plenty of cold water like the one person points out).

I've also had high blood pressure my whole life though and that might be part of it...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called Traditional Chinese Medicine.

THE EIGHT GUIDING PRINCIPLES

In addition to the theory of the five elements, TCM practitioners employ the Eight Guiding Principles to analyze and differentiate the energetic imbalances in the body or the nature of a patient’s condition. The eight guiding principles actually consist of four polar opposites: yin/yang, cold/heat, deficiency (xu)/excess (shi), and interior/exterior.

Cold/Heat: This principle is used to determine the overall energy of the patient. A cold condition would be one marked by a slow metabolism, chills, pale skin, and a low-grade fever, while a hot condition would be characterized by a heightened metabolism, sensations of heat in the body, high fevers, and a flushed complexion.  

Interior/Exterior: This principle describes symptoms in terms of the location of the patient’s problem. Exterior conditions are those caused by the invasion of the body by pathogens, and are usually acute and superficially located with a short duration. Exterior symptoms are those that affect the hair, skin, muscles, joints, peripheral nerves and blood vessels. Interior conditions result from pathogens that enter the interior of the body. Interior symptoms affect the organs, deep vessels and nerves, brain, spinal cord, and bones.  

Deficiency/Excess: This principle describes the strength of an illness. In TCM, a deficient condition would be viewed as a lack of blood (such as in anemia), energy (Qi), heat, or fluids. Chronic illness would fall in this category. An excess condition, by contrast, means that the body has too much of something, such as Qi or blood. In TCM, an acute condition would be seen as an excess condition.  

Yin/Yang: These principles are the generalization of the above principles, and a condition can be categorized in terms of the relative dominance of either yin and yang.  In Chinese medicine, all organisms have both yin and yang qualities and a balance of the two is necessary for good health. In general, yin energy is associated with cold, female energy, and represents the solid organs.  Yang is associated with hot, male energy, and represents the hollow organs.  Chronic illness is seen as yin, while acute illness is seen as yang.  

According to TCM, the combination of these principles determine the nature or quality of the three consituents of the body, which are energy (Qi), moisture, and blood.  As described above, Qi is vital life energy.  Moisture is the liquid medium which protects, nurtures, and lubricates tissue, and blood is the material foundation out of which we create bones, nerves, skin, muscles, and organs.

TCM practitioners diagnose health problems using various combinations of the eight guiding principles.  For example, a patient might be diagnosed as having an "internal cold" or "external heat" condition. Used in conjunction with the five element theory, the eight guiding principles give the TCM practitioner a more complete picture of a patient’s energy imbalances and determine the treatment to be pursued through acupuncture, herbs, diet, and exercise.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When was the last time you had a full physical?

You may have hyper-thyroidism or some other disorder that a blood test could find for you.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about that 'Ying' hoohaa, but what you eat can certainly affect your rate of metabolism, which in turn can affect your body temperature.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
hypoglycemia can lead to feeling cold all the time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hot person here. Sweat profusely in the summer....especially from head/forehead.

I can feel comfortable much of the time and still be sweating bullets.

Im hardly ever cold. I thought that loosing a bunch of weight when I lived in Florida would fix it ......but nope.

My dad and my daughter are the same way.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm the same way billman. Got the metabolism of a turtle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
it happens to me sometimes, its because i radiate my excess sexual energy and pure awesomeness as heat sometimes. no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hot person here. Sweat profusely in the summer....especially from head/forehead.

Im hardly ever cold. I thought that loosing a bunch of weight when I lived in Florida would fix it ......but nope.

Hyperhydrosis.
It can be treated but you probably don't want the needles every three months or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You may have hyper-thyroidism or some other disorder that a blood test could find for you.

It's been forever.  But I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea a few months ago and my family doctor did a bunch of blood work just to make sure nothing was going on that might have caused the sleeping issues.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm the same way billman. Got the metabolism of a turtle.

Same way here.  Even my normal temperature is really low.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know about that 'Ying' hoohaa, but what you eat can certainly affect your rate of metabolism, which in turn can affect your body temperature.

Well, it's odd but even though my skin feels so warm, my body temp is always under the normal range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep.  Graves disease.

Been there. Done that.

Ingested radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid.

Got the T-shirt.

Easy to diagnose though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife is HOT most of the time. Well.....she is REALLY HOT ALL THE TIME, but that is for a different thread.

She has battled hyperthyroidism for years. Just had RAI earlier, but it doesn't look like it either worked or was enough.

I feel cold a lot. Mostly when I am tired. Mine is probably poor circulation.

Several things can contribute to these conditions. A real Dr will be the only one who can tell you for sure what specific reason is causing you to feel this way.

Go get a physical.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm, I was looking at the symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism and that doesn't really sound like it.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hyperhydrosis.
It can be treated but you probably don't want the needles every three months or so.

Needles dont phase me.............the docs bills after insurance do though.

Ill look into that..........thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hyperhydrosis.

Needles dont phase me.............the docs bills after insurance do though.

Ill look into that..........thanks

I am the same way. I will walk around in a tee shirt and shorts in the winter, I hate summer. Even after an 80 degree day I smell like I belong in a monkey cage at the zoo, I have to shower like 3 times a day

Since I am single again, I have thought of moving to Alaska for a more comfortable climate....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Since I am single again, I have thought of moving to Alaska for a more comfortable climate....

If it wernt for my family in Maine , Id SO be living and working there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a hot son of a gun. I fog up my side of the car on occasion and I sweat a lot in the summer. Been that way ever since I was a kid so I don't worry about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top