Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 4:19:30 PM EDT
So a previous thread about one of our memebrs answering the phone when a telemarketer
called during dinner or something and asked the gal on the other end what her weight was,
etc, got me wanting to do this.
About 5 minutes ago, Im at my Dad's and he has them call all the damn time.
I answer the phone and low and behold, a gal says she is with some campaign,not anyone I
have heard here in Colorado.
I ask her how much she weighs.............silence.
I then ask her if she is free later tonight............silence.
Then I ask her if she puts out on the first date, as that is an awesome thing to do and that is
a definate bonus for dating....................silence for about 15 seconds before she finally hung up.

I dont think she will call back to my Dad's house again.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Good that is a terrible line of work. I sometimes will talk to them as long as I can to waste as much of there companies time until I finally hang up when they think I am about to buy. Random calling people at home is the most worthless way to earn a linving.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Telemarketers are SCUM!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You know what happens when you guys do that?  They throw your info right back into the dialer.  Your phone WILL ring again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  

And if they REALLY feel like jerking you around?  The guy on the other end of the phone can very easily, since he already has your name and number, jump online at the local library and request information on about 50,000 different things.  I hope you don't mind  100 calls a day for the rest of your life.  Especially when he fills out the form and specifies "contact me between midnight and 3 am, I work second shift."  Maybe he'll even sign you up for a contest you didn't know about, and suddenly you're paying $25.00 or more per minute for bullshit long distance service through the Nigerian Phone Company, and you don't find out for a month or two after the fact.  Have fun with that.

The bottom line is... those guys can get very jaded, and very vindictive.  And before you get all internet-tough-guy... THEY already KNOW who YOU are and where YOU live, and YOU don't know SHIT about THEM.  

My advice is to treat everybody with respect, including those guys, because you never know when you're going to run into a bigger asshole than you.  I unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way.  I know all about having to pay $25.00 per minute for long distance service that was routed through Latvia.  No joke.  Fucking Latvia.  And since the telemarketer asshole was also in another country, there was nothing anybody in America could do to him.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gosh you folks just have too much time on your hands to talk to the telemarketing people.  Let's face it, those folks are at least getting paid. To me, I just let the answer machine take the call, and thenI  pickup the handset after the announcement, if it is someone that wants to talk me, they will still be there, otherwise the telemarketers will hang up by this time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked in a call center that took surveys for city governments and it SUCKED I quit after I realized it was impossible to reach the quota.

- This was in Texas and half the people spoke Spanish so it was impossible for me to fill out a survey.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know what happens when you guys do that?  They throw your info right back into the dialer.  Your phone WILL ring again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  

And if they REALLY feel like jerking you around?  The guy on the other end of the phone can very easily, since he already has your name and number, jump online at the local library and request information on about 50,000 different things.  I hope you don't mind  100 calls a day for the rest of your life.  Especially when he fills out the form and specifies "contact me between midnight and 3 am, I work second shift."  Maybe he'll even sign you up for a contest you didn't know about, and suddenly you're paying $25.00 or more per minute for bullshit long distance service through the Nigerian Phone Company, and you don't find out for a month or two after the fact.  Have fun with that.

The bottom line is... those guys can get very jaded, and very vindictive.  And before you get all internet-tough-guy... THEY already KNOW who YOU are and where YOU live, and YOU don't know SHIT about THEM.  

My advice is to treat everybody with respect, including those guys, because you never know when you're going to run into a bigger asshole than you.  I unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way.  I know all about having to pay $25.00 per minute for long distance service that was routed through Latvia.  No joke.  Fucking Latvia.  And since the telemarketer asshole was also in another country, there was nothing anybody in America could do to him.  

The ones I have are completely random, I tell them if they know my name I will buy it. They ask to speak to someone else, I tell them they have the wrong number. Then they ask to speak to the person making the decisions.
I don't get them anymore, but on the blue moon I do I love giving them hell. Again randomly calling people in there homes at night is a worthless way to make money. I worked at one for 2 days in high school for AOL. You have your little script and your phone headset and the computer randomly calls people.  WORTHLESS
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ones I have are completely random, I tell them if they know my name I will buy it. They ask to speak to someone else, I tell them they have the wrong number. Then they ask to speak to the person making the decisions.
I don't get them anymore, but on the blue moon I do I love giving them hell. Again randomly calling people in there homes at night is a worthless way to make money. I worked at one for 2 days in high school for AOL. You have your little script and your phone headset and the computer randomly calls people.  WORTHLESS

That sounds easier than what  I did, we had to get people to stay on the phone for 30 minutes and answer 5389247587235-3475-3495=345272486762-999 questions about what they thought about their city's department of parks welfare f;sdfjhsfljsj;as; that nobody gave a shit about or even knew existed. half the answers were ?que? or "what the fuck is that????"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds easier than what  I did, we had to get people to stay on the phone for 30 minutes and answer 5389247587235-3475-3495=345272486762-999 questions about what they thought about their city's department of parks welfare f;sdfjhsfljsj;as; that nobody gave a shit about or even knew existed. half the answers were ?que? or "what the fuck is that????"

ROFL!!!!! Thats some great shit there!!!  QUE!!! Thats great!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Are there opportune times for telemarketers to call  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Lately at work, they have received the boat horn, but next week, I'm not speaking English.
Que?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I hate it when I call someone back about a problem they called in with and they think Im one.

Im calling to tell you I got your billing problem taken care of
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lately at work, they have received the boat horn, but next week, I'm not speaking English.
Que?

QUE!!!! Thats awesome I will be using that this week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Que?

QUE!!!! Thats awesome I will be using that this week.

Make sure you know who's calling before you do that (the horn at least).  Here's why.  My sister is a mortgage broker.  She had a closing scheduled for the following day one time, and called the buyer to confirm.  He picked up the phone and blasted a horn in her ear.  So she shredded all the mortgage documents.  Then, when she didn't show up for the close, he called her, freaking out, and  demanding an explanation.  She simply told him, "Yesterday you blew a horn in my ear so I assumed you didn't want to work with me anymore.  I shredded everything.  Good luck with the closing."

edited: Also, make sure it's legal.  If it's not, they might call the cops on you.  

Here's one I saw on the news a few months back:  Telemarketer calls house.  Child answers phone, says mom and dad aren't there.  Telemarketer asks child how old he is.  child says 5, or 6, or something like that.  Telemarketer calls cops to report the child being left home alone.  Cops show up.  Wait for parents.  Parents come home and go to jail, child taken by whatever the hell the child protective services group was in that state.  Makes national news, telemarketer gets treated like a hero.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys have heard of this, right?

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I get zero unwanted telemarketing calls.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You guys have heard of this, right?

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I get zero unwanted telemarketing calls.

Thats why I get so pissed I am on that list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I tell them I have a $40 charge for accepting unsolicited telephone calls and ask them for their credit card number.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tom Mabe Death Scene Prank Call  FTW

- Clint

Truly inspirational!

At home we're unlisted, on the do not call list, AND use an anwering machine.

But at the OFFICE I'm a sitting duck.

As soon as I hear boiler room background noise, or someone with an East Indian accent mispronounces my name...  I go into gear.

"Oh my.  Were you a personal friend?" I ask.

"Well, uh, I needed to discuss business with her."

"Did you have a business account with (XYZ LLC)?"

"Is she in?? I need to speak with (PO4F),,, is she in???"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this *sniffle*  excuse me... hold a moment..."

(put phone on hold)

"I'm sorry to have to tell you... (sobbing, wailing)  SHE DIIIIIIED...!!!" click, buzz.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Who answers telemarketer calls any more?    If you have caller ID (and who doesn't?) just don't pick up if it's an unlisted or private number.  It's almost always a telemarketer!

PS if you have friends/family who have blocked numbers, that's THEIR problem, not yours.  They made the decision to block their number, not you.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I let the machine get it.  If it's someone I want to talk to, I pick up the handset.  If not, I hit delete.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top