Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:50 PM EDT
The speed limit is 75. I drove 81, had the cruise control on.

I would pass and then immediately get in the right lane unless there was another vehicle in the slow lane within a reasonable distance.

There are a lot of idiots out there.

Guy in a white Dodge truck would get on my ass, then not pass when I pulled over...and I was over for a good while each time. Finally I stayed in the left lane for about 30 seconds to pass a slow car and he zoomed around me on the right and cut me off...only to exit about 2 minutes later.

Guy in a "champagne" BMW...was in the slow lane, so I got in the fast lane...he sped up to my speed...then slowed down about 1mph. I passed, got in front of him, cars behind me passed me. He throws me a look as he speeds up to pass me, slowly...so I raise my feet off the floor and hold them above the windowsill so he can see that the cruise control is on (stupid, I know, but there was nobody in front of me), he looks away, gets in front of me, slows down again...

Chicky-babe in a Focus on her cell phone...I'm in the right lane, coming up on a semi, she's in the fast lane going .01mph faster than me, at my rear quarter panel. I put my signal on, she's oblivious. I start drifting towards her lane, she's oblivious. I honk, she's oblivious. Finally I hit the brakes and have to get behind her...I pull in right on her ass but am rapidly decelerating...she never notices.

Oh, and I got 30mpg for the weekend, 225 highway, 120 city/highway loop in city...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I loathe other drivers.
I have gotten more aggressive recently, after trying to drive with consideration for others. Anymore, I'll just kinda step out and do what I need to in order to have lane position and traffic position to be where I need to be.
It's dangerous, I think, to hang around a pack of cars with the amount of sheer idiocy I have seen on the road. That seems to have gotten worse recently.

Back when I lived in a bigger city, I noticed many drivers were FAR more aggressive when they were getting near an exit they needed than when on the highway.

ETA: The cruise control thing really pisses me off. My truck will hold it's speed within +/- .5 mph. That's not a typo, I've checked it with my GPS a hundred times.
I cannot tell you how many times I've played yo-yo with another car that cannot seem to decide what speed they want to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been pleasantly surprised in this respect since having moved from California to Oregon.

EVERY large vehicle driver (not semis) is a complete asshole in California.  In my 9 years of driving there, I only saw one use a turn signal and my law literally hung slack.  It's certainly not limited to trucks, but they're the major asshole demographic in California.  They have no respect whatsoever for other drivers.

When I got to Oregon, I was amazed how differently people drive.  There are new, different annoyances on the road, but it's nothing like California.  The vast majority of people signal, know the rules of the road (things like left turns from one-way streets on red lights are OK) and they are courteous to other drivers.  It's a polar switch from California drivers, who blithely take whichever space of the road they want, and damn the consequences.

Apart from the occasional drunk driver or squirrelly turd kid, I don't expect idiot drivers like I did in California.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm an excellent driver.
 -Ray(from Rainman)

-JC
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ETA: The cruise control thing really pisses me off. My truck will hold it's speed within +/- .5 mph. That's not a typo, I've checked it with my GPS a hundred times.
I cannot tell you how many times I've played yo-yo with another car that cannot seem to decide what speed they want to go.

I am right there with you, my TDI will hold what ever speed I pick for it, not matter hills or flats.  I constantly go to pass someone and have them speed up and end up making me take my cruise control off due to something stupid they do.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been pleasantly surprised in this respect since having moved from California to Oregon.

EVERY large vehicle driver (not semis) is a complete asshole in California.  In my 9 years of driving there, I only saw one use a turn signal and my law literally hung slack.  It's certainly not limited to trucks, but they're the major asshole demographic in California.  They have no respect whatsoever for other drivers.

When I got to Oregon, I was amazed how differently people drive.  There are new, different annoyances on the road, but it's nothing like California.  The vast majority of people signal, know the rules of the road (things like left turns from  onto one-way streets on red lights are OK) and they are courteous to other drivers.  It's a polar switch from California drivers, who blithely take whichever space of the road they want, and damn the consequences.

Apart from the occasional drunk driver or squirrelly turd kid, I don't expect idiot drivers like I did in California.

Fixed it.  But yeah, I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife calls Dodge trucks "asshole trucks".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds to me that the last one is your fault.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My wife calls Dodge trucks "asshole trucks".

Lol. I have an asshole truck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, I loathe other drivers.
I have gotten more aggressive recently, after trying to drive with consideration for others. Anymore, I'll just kinda step out and do what I need to in order to have lane position and traffic position to be where I need to be.

+1 It seems like if you use your turn signal to change lanes, its the signal for the guy on your quarter panel to accelerate alongside you...even if they are 2-3 car lengths back, they'll stomp the gas to get in your way...I only signal if cops are behind me nowadays...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The chick had no obligation the yield to you.

You act mad you had to break and get behind her.  Your fucking problem.  I was with you until this incident - in this case you were being the asshole expecting someone else to adjust their speed to suit you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am right there with you, my TDI will hold what ever speed I pick for it, not matter hills or flats.  I constantly go to pass someone and have them speed up and end up making me take my cruise control off due to something stupid they do.  

Hehe, my truck is diesel. It's the torque we make at lower engine speeds. I know at 70 I can make max torque depending on where my boost happens to be.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You act mad you had to break and get behind her.  Your fucking problem.  I was with you until this incident - in this case you were being the asshole expecting someone else to adjust their speed to suit you.

I wasn't mad. If I was mad, I would have pulled in front of her, not behind her.

I got behind her as soon as she passed because there was a long line of cars coming up quickly, and had no other choice, lest I wait for 30 cars to pass me. As I said I was decelerating rapidly and was soon at a safe distance.

Of course she was under no obligation to yield - where did I claim that? A polite and observant driver would have taken a different course of action than what she took, however.

"Your fucking problem" - sounds like I'm not the one with anger issues...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I got to Oregon, I was amazed how differently people drive.  There are new, different annoyances on the road, but it's nothing like California.  The vast majority of people signal, know the rules of the road (things like left turns from  onto one-way streets on red lights are OK) and they are courteous to other drivers.  It's a polar switch from California drivers, who blithely take whichever space of the road they want, and damn the consequences.

Thanks, it was correct in my mind's eye.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... It's a polar switch from California drivers, who blithely take whichever space of the road they want, and damn the consequences.

You've never been down to Mexico to watch them drive there, have you?  Just think about it this way...  No lines on the road in many places, so what would be a 2-lane road here equates to a 3-lane road there, pot holes that could swallow a double-decker bus EVERYWHERE, and no signals are used at any time.  With the influx of illegals and their ilk, there's a reason driving habits in CA have gone down the toilet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You should see Mexico City.

LA or Houstone?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
It's bad here. I MIGHT pass three cars today on my way to the work site.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing can piss you off quite like using cruise control on the highway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:23:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Guy in a "champagne" BMW...was in the slow lane, so I got in the fast lane...he sped up to my speed...then slowed down about 1mph. I passed, got in front of him, cars behind me passed me. He throws me a look as he speeds up to pass me, slowly...so I raise my feet off the floor and hold them above the windowsill so he can see that the cruise control is on (stupid, I know, but there was nobody in front of me), he looks away, gets in front of me, slows down again...

I hate it when people do the "cruise control pass", where they're going 1 mph faster than the car they're passing, and they're holding up traffic behind them, which by your description is EXACTLY the bonehead thing you did.  Goddam rolling roadblocks.   If you're going to pass someone, PASS.  How hard is it to put your foot on the accelerator for the few seconds it *should* take for you to pass someone?   You can always let it drift back down to your cruise speed afterword.  

Chicky-babe in a Focus on her cell phone...I'm in the right lane, coming up on a semi, she's in the fast lane going .01mph faster than me, at my rear quarter panel. I put my signal on, she's oblivious. I start drifting towards her lane, she's oblivious. I honk, she's oblivious. Finally I hit the brakes and have to get behind her...I pull in right on her ass but am rapidly decelerating...she never notices.

She's doing the exact same idiot move that you did!  The cruise control pass!  And here it annoys you when it happens to you!    Some people....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to really complain about drivers and traffic, then I went to Rome.  Traffic signs and lane markers are mild suggestions, they have a speed limit but nobody has been able to hit it yet,  and remarkably I didn't see more than a couple of fender benders.  As far as I can tell the only rules they really enforce are the ones about running over Cops and Nuns.  

My daily commute used to be a real exercise in frustration until our little city decided to put two-thirds of the traffic lights on flash.  It flows so smoothly now it isn't even funny anymore.  The high gas prices also keeps the riff-raff off the road, too.   Living in a hick town isn't so bad for the fifteen or twenty minutes twice daily when I have to commute.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#25]
87GN that was me.  Does this look familiar?  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I set my cruise at 62 on the highway and keep my ass in the right lane at all times.  It's amazing how much stress I don't encounter anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]

:so I raise my feet off the floor and hold them above the windowsill so he can see that the cruise control is on :

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, people are idiots, they'll go 80 mph to pass you, or keep you from passing, then slow down to 62 mph 15 seconds later.

I was in a pack of cars, all behind an S-10, junker, going 45 mph, on a 55 mph multi-lane road.

Any time someone got close to him to pass, he would exceed their speed. As soon as the other person backed off, he would coast back to 45 mph.

Watched him do it several times with cars.

Absolutely not thinking, and then taking people trying to pass him, going the speed limit, as a person afront.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
After having witnessed the weird thing where southerners on the interstate all inexplicably slow down to about 50 for no reason for about two miles and then speed up again, I will never again complain about wacky NY drivers. Weird weird weird.

Sounds like you didn't see the "work zone" signs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I set my cruise at 62 on the highway and keep my ass in the right lane at all times.  It's amazing how much stress I don't encounter anymore.

I've started doing this on the highway, both for my nerves and fuel economy. It works, but I still find tards that run up on me, in the right lane, and then won't pass me. Or, when they do finally decide to pass me, they'll wait until we're coming up on a semi, and then put the pass on in such a manner that they box me in behind the truck.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've started doing this on the highway, both for my nerves and fuel economy. It works, but I still find tards that run up on me, in the right lane, and then won't pass me. Or, when they do finally decide to pass me, they'll wait until we're coming up on a semi, and then put the pass on in such a manner that they box me in behind the truck.

I just don't get it.

I do this too, only at about 66 or so.  It cuts down on getting boxed in, and still keeps stress low.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate it when people do the "cruise control pass", where they're going 1 mph faster than the car they're passing, and they're holding up traffic behind them, which by your description is EXACTLY the bonehead thing you did.  Goddam rolling roadblocks.   If you're going to pass someone, PASS.  How hard is it to put your foot on the accelerator for the few seconds it *should* take for you to pass someone?   You can always let it drift back down to your cruise speed afterword.  

She's doing the exact same idiot move that you did!  The cruise control pass!  And here it annoys you when it happens to you!    Some people....

Hardly. I was going ~5 mph faster than him until he SPED UP, which I said. I won't play that game. And there was no traffic in front of him, as I stated, unlike the chick, who would have happily run me into the semi in front of me. Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't get it.

62 would get me run off the road here
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
After having witnessed the weird thing where southerners on the interstate all inexplicably slow down to about 50 for no reason for about two miles and then speed up again, I will never again complain about wacky NY drivers. Weird weird weird.

That means they were pondering whether to go all 'Deliverance' on the pretty Yankee boy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was in a pack of cars, all behind an S-10, junker, going 45 mph, on a 55 mph multi-lane road.

Any time someone got close to him to pass, he would exceed their speed. As soon as the other person backed off, he would coast back to 45 mph.

I saw something similar on the interstate once, only he would block people (two-lane interstate) in addition to speeding up and slowing down.  The dude stopped when he tried it with a semi, and his sorry little POS pickup got knocked into the median.  Wish I'd had a camera in the truck that day...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't get it.

Sure it would.

I have heard multiple times that you have to go 85 mph to keep up with traffic on the multiple lane, restricted access highway that goes through the city here.

Funny, I set the cruise at 62, and I pass some people, and some people pass me.

I would only have to go 85 mph to keep up with 1% of the traffic.

Don't take it peronal when someone passes you.

It also amazes me, when I set the cruise and leave it on, I'll have a car pass me, then .5 miles down the road I'll pass them, then they'll fly by me, then .75 miles down the road I'll pass them, then .5 miles down the road they'll pass me again. If I'm going the same speed, guess who the problem lies with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it would.

I have heard multiple times that you have to go 85 mph to keep up with traffic on the multiple lane, restricted access highway that goes through the city here.

Funny, I set the cruise at 62, and I pass some people, and some people pass me.

I would only have to go 85 mph to keep up with 1% of the traffic.

Don't take it peronal when someone passes you.

It also amazes me, when I set the cruise and leave it on, I'll have a car pass me, then .5 miles down the road I'll pass them, then they'll fly by me, then .75 miles down the road I'll pass them, then .5 miles down the road they'll pass me again. If I'm going the same speed, guess who the problem lies with.

This was open highway...I was doing 81 and SEMIS were passing me.

I have observed people honk and flash their lights at cars going way below the speed limit (62 is 13 under here).

I have driven in nearly every state in the Union and lived in Southern California for a while, and the worst and most rude drivers live in Arizona.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#38]
rednecks are weird...

had some idiot in a pickup truck come right up on my ass yesterday as I changed lanes to exit the interstate - I sped up a bit and so did he - staying right on my ass, so I decided to see if his truck could out-corner my Civic - I kept speeding up on the exit donut and saw him almost lose it trying to keep on my ass - thanks for the laugh, redneck.

BTW, why do truck never signal for shit?  (I don't mean 18-wheelers - they usually actually seem to know how to drive)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw something similar on the interstate once, only he would block people (two-lane interstate) in addition to speeding up and slowing down.  The dude stopped when he tried it with a semi, and his sorry little POS pickup got knocked into the median.  Wish I'd had a camera in the truck that day...

I hate to say it, I worked my way up to the front of the pack, on my motorcycle, and tried to pass.

At first I just tried to go by at 55 mph, he accelerated. I went up to 65 mph, he matched it. I went up to 75 mph, yup he matched it.

I had enough and slowed down. So did he, back to 45 mph.

Then I just HAMMERED it, and blew by. He tried to accelerate to match, yeah right.

Then slowed back down to 45 mph, with a big pack still stuck behind him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have observed people honk and flash their lights at cars going way below the speed limit (62 is 13 under here).

I have driven in nearly every state in the Union and lived in Southern California for a while, and the worst and most rude drivers live in Arizona.

If you drive under the limit, get in the right lane.

Who cares if someone passes you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't. When I drive my dad's Freightliner, I drive slower than most cars.

I do try to avoid becoming an obstacle to other drivers when I am in a vehicle in which it is safe to move along with most traffic...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And who cares if cars are backed up a mile???
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And who cares if cars are backed up a mile???

If EVERYONE going below the speed limit would stay to the right, traffic would flow much better.

Unfortunately, we get a person in the right lane doing 56, a person in the middle lane doing 56,25 and a guy in the left lane doing 56.32.................

If people would think 1 minute into the future a lot of the problems wouldn't happen.

Just like the dopes that HAVE to pass, Only to hit the exit a quarter mile later, even though there's open pavement for 500 yards behind you.

Or the people that gun it to pull out of a driveway, or from a stop sign, to get in front of you, even when there is nobody behind you for like 3 parsecs. But they HAD to get in front of you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#44]
reminds me of the time i saw 4 tractor trailer's box in a guy in convertible . somethin' tells me they didnt like his style of driving.  3 lane highway- he was in the left, 2 trucks were in the middle on his right side.  one truck in front of him ,and one behind who would periodically move up and close the distance
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I just drive like everybody else on the road is absolutely retarded, and try to place as much room between myself and others as I can. Its aggressive defensive driving...or something.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is a left turn *onto* a one way street on red OK? Unless you mean you're coming from a one way as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
87GN that was me.  Does this look familiar?  

www.thepickupguy.com/graphics/Rancher%20grille%20guard%20on%20white%20Dodge%20800.jpg  

Your from Butte?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Exactly.

You lost me on the chick one, makes me question if you're not leaving details out of the other examples.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

You lost me on the chick one, makes me question if you're not leaving details out of the other examples.

I must be missing something...

Where did I say that she HAD to get out of my way?

It was more of a comment on the fact that she was completely oblivious to her surroundings...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys have it all mixed up.  The speed LIMIT is as fast as you can go.  Going SLOWER then the speed limit you go to the right.  The left lane is NOT exempt from the speed LIMIT (which is as fast as you can legally go).  YOU CAN NOT LEGALLY SPEED IN THE "FAST" LANE.

Maybe they need to force everyone to re-take driver's ed on an annual basis
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top