Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 3:14:51 PM EDT
I have often comptemplated this, but never seen it studied.

When we are of this age, we have an almost god-complex about us.  We think we are invincible.  We know bad stuff happens.  We know car accidents kill, and chicks get pregnant, and people get bit by poisonous snakes.... Yet we drive crazy, we screw, and we go grabbing venomous snakes by the tail.

We always think the bad stuff will happen to someone else.

It is a useful trait.  Wars are won with it.  Great feats are accomplished.  But it fades.  As we get older, caution prevails.  Our thoughts stop us from doing crazy things.  We contemplaint responsibility and effects of actions, and the future.

Is there a chemical in our head that stops all of this during the ages of 16-26 +/-?

I would like to hear your thoughts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
We're stupid....growing up we have seen many warning signs telling us not to behave in a dangerous fashion but we still do because those things havnt happened to us, yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Evolutionarily, risk takers are rewarded with greater access to mates in that age, whereas the same evolutionary pressures rewarded those who settled down after successfully mating (typically after those years).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do a total do-over if I could go back to 16 and know what I know now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There really are only two thought process issues going on.  They are, Get laid, and do something that will make us appear somehow attractive or distinguished in order to get laid.

Since this age group generally does not have the funds to appear distinguished financially, they are left with apparent feats of bravery.  This unfortunately often coincides with feats of abject stupidity.

Well said.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not that you don't think bad things will happen to you, you don't think at all until after you take whatever action you're contemplating.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Having just hit 26, I can say that even when young men of this age group experience situations of great consequence, a lot of them do not learn from them.

I also feel that the wisdom of older men leads to hesitation in similar situations.

Hesitation may or may not save lives.

Take it as you will.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've really noticed this in myself and my friends over the last 5 years.  I used to do things without thinking about them, or the consequences, like a lot of young guys.  However in the last 5 years, I've become a homeowner, I've gotten married, I've planned for kids, and I've generally acquired a host of responsibilities I didn't have when I was 23 years old.  Now I think about my actions, I think about my future, and I think about the people who depend on me, because consequences are more serious now.

I don't think it was a chemical or biological change in my head, I think it was the responsibilities that appeared that made me stop and think more often.

I miss some aspects of how I used to be, and I realize others are stupid.  It's part of life, and now I sometimes find myself thinking, "When I'm 60 and don't have to worry about this, I'm going to do a lot of that."

Full circle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I am honestly amazed I am still alive.

Everyone dies but few really live.

RR

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am honestly amazed I am still alive.

Everyone dies but few really live.

RR

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I got rid of all of that street racing between 17 and 20.  Did enough things that should have killed me to last a lifetime.  I was a pretty prudent 21 year old, heh.  25 now and friends tell me I'm closer to 40.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
as my TSgt once said:

" YOUNG, DUMB, AND FULL OF COME!!! "

the old fucker was right.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Forget the invulnerable, self-absorbed God complex.  I'm so sick of the 20-somethings who have never done anything, never supported themselves even, lived with their hand out from family or tax payers and have developed an ubber liberal give it to me mentality, and everyone else is doing it wrong.  Your religion is wrong, your country is wrong, you are wrong, I am 20 and I know it all!  It is enough to make you want to commit genocide on all Generation X'rs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Forget the invulnerable, self-absorbed God complex.  I'm so sick of the 20-somethings who have never done anything, never supported themselves even, lived with their hand out from family or tax payers and have developed an ubber liberal give it to me mentality, and everyone else is doing it wrong.  Your religion is wrong, your country is wrong, you are wrong, I am 20 and I know it all!  It is enough to make you want to commit genocide on all Generation X'rs.

Yeah, well of course that's annoying... but that's a different thing than I'm talking about.

I want to know if there is a biological aspect of it that allows young males to 'screen out the future' while decision making, and what happens to it as we age?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
STUPID!!!! Been there done that. Then LIFE happened!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When we are of this age, we have an almost god-complex about us.  We think we are invincible.  We know bad stuff happens.  We know car accidents kill, and chicks get pregnant, and people get bit by poisonous snakes.... Yet we drive crazy, we screw, and we go grabbing venomous snakes by the tail.

It is a useful trait.  Wars are won with it.  Great feats are accomplished.  But it fades.  As we get older, caution prevails.  Our thoughts stop us from doing crazy things.  We contemplaint responsibility and effects of actions, and the future.

Is there a chemical in our head that stops all of this during the ages of 16-26 +/-?

Alcohol?          
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 23, I shattered my femur recently.  Started physical therapy today, so this stuff has been on my mind.  I am re-evaluating some of the things I've done lately.  I always thought I was simply "living life", no regrets, all that...

Now the docs and surgeon are saying I won't be the same for 12-14 months, so I find myself wondering if doing all that was really worth trading a year of my life.

ps. if someone can tell me how, I'll post x-ray pics, pretty gnarly
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd ask my 16 year old son, but he's in prison for the next little while.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW - Advice from an older guy:

1. Talk less, listen and observe more
2. Any guy can get GOOD pie. Guys that have their shit together get the GREAT pie.
3. The day that you realize you don't know shit is the day that you understand what life is all about. You will hate that day, but will be better for it.
4. 12 dozen is a gross.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 19 and I don't think like that. Maybe I'm defective.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would do a total do-over if I could go back to 16 and know what I know now.

As would we all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Getting older suxs. My wife text me about picking up dinner.  I replied pick up some "OG's" (Olive Garden).  A few years ago OG's was Olympic Gardens.  If I put my head in a a vise and smack the handle with a hammer will it put me out and wake me back up in 2002?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The terms "mentality" and "male age 16 to 26"  are mutually exclusive,  as to have a "mentality" you must have mental function.

In that age range,  there really isn't any.   The definition of a male in that age range is "a transportation system for a penis and a pair of testicles".

Very little thought occurs unless it's thoughts of pie, booze, and mindless fun.

I know...I witnessed it too many times.  I was one who managed to keep my wits about me
during those years a little better than some, though.    So I didn't party and didn't drink,
and also didn't get my fill of the pie but I got a few slices here and there.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm about to turn 26 here in September.

I've never driven crazy.  Fast, yes, but with in my driving abilities, the conditions of the road and the capabilities of the vehicle I'm in.

I'm not a man whore.  I've only (with two exceptions) had sex while in long term relationships.  I use protection.

I shoot even non-poisonous snakes on sight.

So I think your generalizations are off base.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
In my tten years an  in my 20s I never did anything crazy, never dran. I have never been drunk and sure as hell never did drugs. I sometimes feel I missed out on what the young years where supposed to be like. My friends always called me old man even then. Yeah, I had  a few pieces of pie, but not what I could have I suppose.  I dont think i would do it different, but i would at least be able to realize it isnt always bad!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In my tten years an  in my 20s I never did anything crazy, never dran. I have never been drunk and sure as hell never did drugs. I sometimes feel I missed out on what the young years where supposed to be like. My friends always called me old man even then. Yeah, I had  a few pieces of pie, but not what I could have I suppose.  I dont think i would do it different, but i would at least be able to realize it isnt always bad!

im 24 and ive felt like an old man my entire life. im to paranoid to do stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm about to turn 26 here in September.

I've never driven crazy.  Fast, yes, but with in my driving abilities, the conditions of the road and the capabilities of the vehicle I'm in.

I'm not a man whore.  I've only (with two exceptions) had sex while in long term relationships.  I use protection.

I shoot even non-poisonous snakes on sight.

So I think your generalizations are off base.

Those are metaphors for ALL the crazy things in life.  Jeez.  Dense.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm about to turn 26 here in September..

I turn 26 on the 8th of September

I was always cautious when I was younger. Then when I was 22 I went a little wacko. I have calmed down since then, and I am now cautious again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]
At that age, I was the only one that mattered to me. I wasn't aware, or if I was, I didn't care that things I did may have had a negative impact on others, whether they were family, SOs, loved ones, friends, or complete strangers.

We didn't think past the next hour (or the next 10 mins for that matter).

Hence the term 'coyote girl'.

I now think 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 20 years down the road.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Im 23 now and i would party everyday of the week. Im at the end of college now and the only thing im concerned with is whats the next step in my life.  I was very reckless for a few years and now that i own my own car(drove my dads for many years) i think about things a little more before doing them.  Right now i look at things like this," I could do that but if something breaks or goes wrong how can i pay for it?"  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Heres a snip from an article I found:

During late adolescence and into the mid 20s, the front third of the brain, called the prefrontal cortex (PFC) or executive brain, continues to develop. Even though we think of 18 year olds as adults, their brains are far from finished. Myelin continues to be deposited in the PFC until age 25 or 26, making the executive part of the brain work at a higher and more efficient level. Were you more mature at 25 than 18? I sure was. It is ironic that the car insurance industry knew about maturity and brain development long before society. Typically, car insurance rates change at 25 because drivers are more thoughtful and get into significantly less accidents

Source:
http://www.amenclinics.com/ac/bitn/bitn_detail.php?articleID=182
(first one i could find, i've read others before though)

Here is another one thats interesting:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/teenage-brain-a-work-in-progress.shtml
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Biologically speaking, I believe the testosterone is ramped up faster than the development of the brain.Once the testosterone peaks the brain development is able to catch up.Also notice that a 40y/o man has the same testosterone level as a 20y/o.It is not till the mid to late 40's that a man reaches his intellectual peak.Contrast this with a woman who has a smaller brain on average and typically 1/40th the testosterone.It is no wonder that women matures faster .Don't get me wrong though, there are a lot of men who can go no further once they have reached 20.No one person is the same as the next ,but as far as generalizations go, I believe this is the mechanism.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd hardly compare a 16 year old with a 26 year old.  I think the most rapid maturing period happens between 16-20/21.  I've been pretty much the same person and held the same ideals since I was 20 or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'd hardly compare a 16 year old with a 26 year old.  I think the most rapid maturing period happens between 16-20/21.  I've been pretty much the same person and held the same ideals since I was 20 or so.

Wait til you hit 30!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I don't know about anyone else...

but fucking myself up just got... well, old.
Simple as that really.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait til you hit 30!

Meh...I was always mature for my age.  I don't see too much changing, other than my metabolism continuing to slow and me getting fatter unless I do somethin about it
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Im 17, and to really prove your point, i dont want to change.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait til you hit 30!

Meh...I was always mature for my age.  I don't see too much changing, other than my metabolism continuing to slow and me getting fatter unless I do somethin about it

You are probably right man, just make sure you do somethin about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I think one part of it is if you do all that often enough, for long enough, you either get into some serious shit or at least have some close calls.  Between yourself and your friends, you start to realize that sooner or later you won't be so lucky.  You can get away with a lot, but it only takes one failure and you're fucked.  At least that's how I feel at 29.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I think one part of it is if you do all that often enough, for long enough, you either get into some serious shit or at least have some close calls.  Between yourself and your friends, you start to realize that sooner or later you won't be so lucky.  You can get away with a lot, but it only takes one failure and you're fucked.  At least that's how I feel at 29.

They say failure is the best teacher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top