Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 3:04:24 PM EDT
As I was in the process of getting the oil changed today (yes, laugh all you want, I don't know shit about cars) the mechanic was kind enough to inform me that there was no air filter under the hood. Seeing as the last time I had any work done on the car was over Christmas, I'd say that might explain why it has been running roughly lately

Needless to say, I had them put a new air filter in there
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you lose an air filter?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How do you lose an air filter?

I don't know if it was lost, taken out by a mechanic before, or what. I last had the car worked on over Christmas to have a solenoid pack in the transmission replaced. Whether those shitty dealer mechanics decided to yank it out or what, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You could have major problems already and don't know it.  Particle ingestion is never a good thing.  Document this.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You could have major problems already and don't know it.  Particle ingestion is never a good thing.  Document this.  

+1

Not good at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I got better performance out of my car without the factory air filter...slapped on a cone K&N filter and the acceleration and umph went though the ceiling...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Shit.

I have the slip from the oil change place documenting the car came in without an air filter. Or do you mean take it to a place for a thorough look-over?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got better performance out of my car without the factory air filter...slapped on a cone K&N filter and the acceleration and umph went though the ceiling...

That and the overnight parts from Ja-PAN.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.

I have the slip from the oil change place documenting the car came in without an air filter. Or do you mean take it to a place for a thorough look-over?

Do you have any record of the prior service, from whence the air filter apparently wandered off?

You might want to think about trading that car off sometime in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If the car doesn't smoke and doesn't use any oil, your probably okay.  The quick and dirty is this:  You have metal seperated by an incredibly thin film of oil in the cylinders.  If the engine ingests dirt, the dirt can foul the oil film.  This can lead to scratching the cylinder walls, rings, and general premature wear.  How old is the vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Where was the last place you took it for service?  

Does it run fine now?  If it was missing a filter and running rough, and now has a filter and is running fine after the oil change... it ain't the filter.  Removing a filter won't make that change.  Ingesting crap and ruining the engine.... yeah, but if that's the case, it will still be rough after the new one is in.  How long has it been since the last oil change?  dino juice or synthetic?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should run a used oil analysis and get back with us about your silicon levels.
Factory paper filter for me .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]
That sucks dude. Hope your engine isn't fubar'd. Putting a new air filter on won't make the car run better where there was none before though. If it's acting up, there's likely a problem with the engine now as was described above by dirt/particles scratching the interior parts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.

Do you have any record of the prior service, from whence the air filter apparently wandered off?

You might want to think about trading that car off sometime in the next year or so.

I'm sure I could find a record of it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the car doesn't smoke and doesn't use any oil, your probably okay.  The quick and dirty is this:  You have metal seperated by an incredibly thin film of oil in the cylinders.  If the engine ingests dirt, the dirt can foul the oil film.  This can lead to scratching the cylinder walls, rings, and general premature wear.  How old is the vehicle?

2000 Dodge Stratus.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Not good at all.
+$5,000 or more for an engine rebuild
you got fucked, HARD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Not good at all.
+$5,000 or more for an engine rebuild
you got fucked, HARD.

The car isn't even worth that much.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
what was the car running like while you had no filter?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't get excited.  If the car doesn't smoke or use an abnormal amount of oil, don't worry about it.  Count your blessings and go on.  No biggie.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It actually had been fine as far as I could tell. There was a small stretch in April when it would take awhile to turn over and seemed a tad sluggish. That had gone away though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't get excited.  If the car doesn't smoke or use an abnormal amount of oil, don't worry about it.  Count your blessings and go on.  No biggie.  

No smoke and it doesn't appear to be burning up oil. I did the regular 3,000 mile change (600 miles late ) and the guy said it was 1qt low.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As I was in the process of getting the oil changed today (yes, laugh all you want, I don't know shit about cars) the mechanic was kind enough to inform me that there was no air filter under the hood. Seeing as the last time I had any work done on the car was over Christmas, I'd say that might explain why it has been running roughly lately

Needless to say, I had them put a new air filter in there

Sorry, but if it's running rough because of, or lack of, the air filter, it's too late to put a filter on now. The cylinders are already scarred(If there is no other cause for the rough running, that is.)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Where did you get the oil changed? Its not unhead of for lube shacks to be dishonest about air filters. This is how they make their money. The oil change is at cost with additional sales being where they make money
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on a Pontiac Sunbird, methinks!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It actually had been fine as far as I could tell. There was a small stretch in April when it would take awhile to turn over and seemed a tad sluggish. That had gone away though.

Dodge factory battery connectors are shit, replace them with decent ones from your local auto parts supply store. Clean the battery terminals with 200-400 grit sandpaper and rough up the inside of the new connectors with it. Put grease on the terminals before attaching the new connectors.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+ a billion.  I'd be looking for someone's head over this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No smoke and it doesn't appear to be burning up oil. I did the regular 3,000 mile change (600 miles late ) and the guy said it was 1qt low.

I'd be concerned if my car used a quart of oil every 3000 miles especially if it hadn't been consuming any in the past.

With cat equipped exhaust systems you can burn some oil with little if any smoke. If you elect to get serious about this (at this late date I'm not sure how) have a leak down test done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Youre probably fine.  However, the lack of a filter would not explain why it is running weird.  It would run the same, but would maybe have a bit more power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top