Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 2:23:26 PM EDT
I have had tachycardia for about 8 years that has gone untreated, but lately it has been getting worse.  I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago and they put me on a Holter Monitor.  Got the results back today and it said I had 1 PVC, occasional sinus arrhythmia with sinus bradycardia during sleep.  Occasional to frequent PACs with a short 5 beat run of atrial tachycardia.

Supraventricular tachycardia at a rate of 182 beats per minute was recorded which seemed to gradually slow to sinus tachycardia at a rate of 150 beats per minute.  This could represent an atrial tachycardia and would be an unusual rate for sinus tachycardia.  

I went to the doctor today and they put me on metoprolol.  I am going for an echo on July 30th.  She said if the meds don't work I would have to get an ablation and/or pacemaker.  

My dad just informed me that when I was a kid I had rheumatic fever.  Could this have anything to do with what is going on?  Do these types of meds work well for people?  How high can a persons heart rate go before it just quits beating?  Is there anything else I can do?

I am scared to death.  I am a mother of 2 young children and only 28 years old!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
pm sent
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
pm sent

Didn't get one....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So far the new medicine has brought my rate down to between 85-95, which is way better than where it has been at 130-184.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a scarey time, but you have the problem diagnosed by professionals.

I'm by no means an expert but this is something that can be controlled.

Hang in there.

Thoughts and prayers from Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a scarey time, but you have the problem diagnosed by professionals.

I'm by no means an expert but this is something that can be controlled.

Hang in there.

Thoughts and prayers from Oklahoma.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!  What is bad is I do not have health insurance so that is another reason I hope the meds work because the other procedures would be way too expensive!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no clue to what you just said , but a prayer is on the way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So far the new medicine has brought my rate down to between 85-95, which is way better than where it has been at 130-184.  

I went through this at just about your age.  SVT &  6-8 PVC's a minute.  Atenolol did the trick for me and you'll prolly not need the ablasion.  FWIW, I'd love to have the ablasion, haven't had the nerve to go to the cath lab & get checked out.

Anyway - you'll be here for a long time to come.  Listen to your doc's & take your meds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks, basically in a nut shell my heart is going way to fast.  It should be between 80-100, but mine is running at 130-184 beats or more a minute!  I can get a blood clot or have heart attack from this at 28 years old.  If the meds don't work I am looking at needing a pacemaker!  

Thanks for the prayers!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have to get surgery, or do some more tests, do it and work out a payment plan.  Trust me, trying to go "cheap" here is stupid - you only have one life.  You can always make money to pay your bills, but if you don't get this taken care of, you may die and leave your kids and loved ones alone.  Don't let that happen.

My wife had a similar issue at that age, but a reduction in stress, exercise, and eating right did the trick.  Come to find out she was very hyper-sensitive to caffeine and preservatives in foods.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, the meds are working and there is generic metoprolol (read: inexpensive)  so you should be good to go.  Prayers sent anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Rheumatic fever could be responsible, but thats history, what is more important is controlling the symptoms.

A healthy heart can beat much faster than that without much trouble, but you wouldn't want it to do so for extended periods.

I think you will find that medication will work fine. If it doesn't, well a pacemaker isn't that bad -- its really just a stereotype image that only doddering old people have them.

Don't worry about the cost. there are many very good hospitals that will get you whatever you need and worry about paying for it later. Most hospitals have a pretty significant fund to pay for cases such as yours.

Since you are already doing something about this, and not just sitting back and panicking, I think you are going to be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the meds are working and there is generic metoprolol (read: inexpensive)  so you should be good to go.  Prayers sent anyway.

Yep the meds will run $4 a month, which is GREAT!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I was about 30 with a cold.  I took sudafed, then drank 2-3 cups of coffee.  Had a chocolate bar for breakfast, and took some anacin with caffeine.  I spent 3-4 days in the hospital with Atrial Fibrillation.  I was running at 220 bpm when having an episode.  I left the hospital on Betapace, then later Atenolol.  For the past 7 years, I have been unmedicated, but avoid caffeine as much as possible, and can not have most cold medicines.

I have roughly 1 or 2 episodes per year, lasting 5-10 minutes, and always traced to stress, chocolate, caffeine, or indigestion.  Generally it takes a combination of any two of those to set me off, but sometimes there isn't any obvious trigger.  I keep a log of what I was doing, etc.

I haven't read about it lately, but my form of tachycardia (atrial fib) doesn't always respond well to ablation, and there is a chance after ablation I would need a pacemaker, so at this point, I continue without it.  One of the nurses treating me had ablation, and was completely "cured".

I can relate, and it isn't comfortable feeling your heart chugging along like a humming bird.  I take a blood thinner, with the concern being a stroke after an episode, but as of late the episodes get more and more minor (knock on wood).

Good luck, get yourself taken care of, and don't even think about the $ side.  I have no idea what an ablation would run, but as someone else pointed out, most hospitals have plans, and forgiveness.  At the time we had a 1 year old, and my wife was pregnant with our second, so we were pretty stressed.

I think they asked me if I had rhumatic fever, as I think that can affect heart valves, which can trigger episodes.

Good luck, and hang in there.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have had tachycardia for about 8 years that has gone untreated, but lately it has been getting worse.  I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago and they put me on a Holter Monitor.  Got the results back today and it said I had 1 PVC, occasional sinus arrhythmia with sinus bradycardia during sleep.  Occasional to frequent PACs with a short 5 beat run of atrial tachycardia.

Supraventricular tachycardia at a rate of 182 beats per minute was recorded which seemed to gradually slow to sinus tachycardia at a rate of 150 beats per minute.  This could represent an atrial tachycardia and would be an unusual rate for sinus tachycardia.  

I went to the doctor today and they put me on metoprolol.  I am going for an echo on July 30th.  She said if the meds don't work I would have to get an ablation and/or pacemaker.  

My dad just informed me that when I was a kid I had rheumatic fever.  Could this have anything to do with what is going on?  Do these types of meds work well for people?  How high can a persons heart rate go before it just quits beating?  Is there anything else I can do?

I am scared to death.  I am a mother of 2 young children and only 28 years old!!!

Well that's it. You have two young kids of course your gonna be stressed out. In all seriousness though, prayers inbound and just listen to your doctor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no idea what you have that is medically wrong. But I wish you a speedy recovery.

I have heard that if you discuss the fees etc with your hospital/doctor they will try to work with you on that. I have found that the customary and usual fees are for people with insurance and they are really out of sight. The way we pay for medical services is way out of whack.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, basically in a nut shell my heart is going way to fast.  It should be between 80-100, but mine is running at 130-184 beats or more a minute!  I can get a blood clot or have heart attack from this at 28 years old.  If the meds don't work I am looking at needing a pacemaker!  

Thanks for the prayers!

Pacemakers! One of the great aussie inventions. If you get one we'll make you an honourary aussie but make sure you get a penile enlargement at the same time or nobody will believe ya

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
My mother had untreated atrial tachycardia for a good portion of her life.  She finally had a VERY bad episode of it in 1985.  She got on meds for it at that time and has not had any trouble with it in the last 23 years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the prayers!

Pacemakers! One of the great aussie inventions. If you get one we'll make you an honourary aussie but make sure you get a penile enlargement or nobody will believe ya

Don't mind Bob GW, he can't help himself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Do the Docs have you on an Aspirin a day?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Do the Docs have you on an Aspirin a day?

They never mentioned it, but husband is a nurse and he is making me take one a day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1, down to the prayers.  Metoprolol's one of a number of beta-blockers that seem to work very nicely and inexpensively for this sort of thing.  A quick check of Walmart.com lists metoprolol as part of their $4 generic prescription plan ($10 for a 90-day supply).  For the price of a gallon of gas, you get a month's supply of your med - a pretty good deal, IMHO.

Also, if you smoke, quit right now.  Minimize or avoid caffeinated beverages - teas, coffees, sodas, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not such a question of how high can a heart rate go before it just quits beating; with that extremely high heart rate; the blood doesn't move effeciently(sp) and wont pick up O2 which makes the heart beat faster and faster to try to get the O2 it needs.  Then the heart rate is around 230-300 and the heart is basically shaking/quivering.  

You pass out, and if the heart continues to quiver and does't get shocked into a normal rhythm, you die.  

Lots of folks are on heart meds.  Lots have pacemakers too.  Don't let that get you down.  Like you said; you have a family to think about, and you're only 28.  

Have you had a sleep study done?  Just curious.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's not such a question of how high can a heart rate go before it just quits beating; with that extremely high heart rate; the blood doesn't move effeciently(sp) and wont pick up O2 which makes the heart beat faster and faster to try to get the O2 it needs.  Then the heart rate is around 230-300 and the heart is basically shaking/quivering.  

You pass out, and if the heart continues to quiver and does't get shocked into a normal rhythm, you die.  

Lots of folks are on heart meds.  Lots have pacemakers too.  Don't let that get you down.  Like you said; you have a family to think about, and you're only 28.  

No sleep study done.  Just now getting started in my care.  Today was my second day on the medicine.  Apparently when I sleep I have bradycardia, but all day long when I am awake, I have tachycardia.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't want to come off here as sounding "Flip" Mam (Really, I don't!) but, I have lived with the SAME conditions for years now since I was diagnosed hon'.

Scared all livin' HELL out of me when I found out back around the time Reagan started his first term (I was in the Army at FT Hood) and I spent MANY a night waitin' to drop over dead () from it but, I'm more than TWICE as old as I was when I was diagnosed (I'm almost 20yrs older than you) and have more-or-less chain-smoked and drank heavily ever since (Some dare call it self-medicating lol) and I'm still here kiddo.

YES, take it seriously and listen to what the doc' tells you but....scaring all living hell out of yourself (And I know it's hard NOT to!) won't do you any good Sweetie.  

Best of luck and keep your chin up young Lady
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the prayers!

Pacemakers! One of the great aussie inventions. If you get one we'll make you an honourary aussie but make sure you get a penile enlargement or nobody will believe ya

Don't mind Bob GW, he can't help himself.

I once had  brialia myopaclostromapogia and i was scared to death but when the doctor said i just had a itchy bum i was pretty farken relieved
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Good idea - catecholemines right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, down to the prayers.  Metoprolol's one of a number of beta-blockers that seem to work very nicely and inexpensively for this sort of thing.  A quick check of Walmart.com lists metoprolol as part of their $4 generic prescription plan ($10 for a 90-day supply).  For the price of a gallon of gas, you get a month's supply of your med - a pretty good deal, IMHO.

Also, if you smoke, quit right now.  Minimize or avoid caffeinated beverages - teas, coffees, sodas, etc.

Have never smoked in my life.  I previously drank caffeine, but have been off for a while now and actually my heart has been beating faster since I have stopped the caffeine.  I am going to try to lose a little weight although very hard with some bad back issues I am dealing with.  I cannot walk much, do sit-ups, or those types of things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to come off here as sounding "Flip" Mam (Really, I don't!) but, I have lived with the SAME conditions for years now since I was diagnosed hon'.

Scared all livin' HELL out of me when I found out back around the time Reagan started his first term (I was in the Army at FT Hood) and I spent MANY a night waitin' to drop over dead () from it but, I'm more than TWICE as old as I was when I was diagnosed (I'm almost 20yrs older than you) and have more-or-less chain-smoked and drank heavily ever since (Some dare call it self-medicating lol) and I'm still here kiddo.

YES, take it seriously and listen to what the doc' tells you but....scaring all living hell out of yourself (And I know it's hard NOT to!) won't do you any good Sweetie.  

Best of luck and keep your chin up young Lady

Thanks treadhead!  Glad to hear you have made it all of these years!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish you and your family the best of luck getting this all squared away, and will pray for your speedy recovery
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Prayers sent.

I used to get PVCs real bad. Turned out I was dehydrated alot. I drink plenty of water now I have not as many problems. I know your case is different but I understand the part about being scared of the way your heart is beating
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Mitral valve disease (which you may have, if you have had rheumatic fever) is incidentally associated (but not causally proven) with the sick sinus syndrome.

How long did the SVT last?
Were your tachycardias associated with a long pause afterward?
How long and slow were your periods of bradycardia?

In any case, I'm sure your docs will do a fine job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump for update....
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#35]
prayer sent for a speedy and acceptable resolution.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
prayer sent for a speedy and acceptable resolution.

Thanks Atencio!
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Near fifty congestive heart failure mojo and dittos from Oklahoma - I'm feeling better on my meds, and wish the same soon for you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Look for the IM.  Looks like quite a few have gone through this.  Best wishes!! Take care!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Near fifty congestive heart failure mojo and dittos from Oklahoma - I'm feeling better on my meds, and wish the same soon for you.

Thank you, I wish the same for you also!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#40]
knock down the coffee smokes caffeine sugar etc to a minimum
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
knock down the coffee smokes caffeine sugar etc to a minimum

I wish it was something I was doing causing it cause then I'd stop.  I Don't smoke, never have...Stopped caffeine about a month and a half ago, and drink only caffeine free diet cola.  

Still beating too fast.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
UPDATE 08/14/08:  Well the doctor is referring me to an electrophysiologist for an ablation or pacemaker.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
UPDATE 08/14/08:  Well the doctor is referring me to an electrophysiologist for an ablation or pacemaker.  

Darn.  Sorry.  Hope they decide you don't need one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm 28, and had some heart palpitations a couple months ago where it felt like my heart was skipping a beat or about to jump out. I had one episode where my heart flipped out, and beat super fast for several seconds straight. Freaked me out so bad I screamed out loud... then I was pastey white for 20 minutes and shaking.

Anyway, long story short I went to a doctor last month, and the echocardiogram found out I have a bicuspid aortic valve.  Basically meaning most people have 3 cusps to open and close, I just have 2. He set me up with a specialist which was a week later.

For that week or two, I freaked out so bad. Everytime I walked up the stairs I felt my heart drop. I was having palpitations every day. I was having headaches and freaking out so bad I was certain I was gonna have a heart attack or something. I couldn't really sleep, even stayed at my g/f's parents house a couple nights cause I was so scared. I wouldn't do faster than a walk either, for if I did I felt my heart drop and I got dizzy.

Went to specialist, he looked at the echocardiogram and said, "You have the valve with a little leakage, but it looks fine. You shouldn't have any problems til you're like 40 as from this test it looks like the rest of your heart is OK.  You have a slight irregular heartbeat, but nothing major."

So we did a treadmill test... passed that just fine.
The irregular heartbeat he said not to worry about but if it bothers me they could give me some meds for it.

It's been about 3 weeks now since I saw him, and I feel fine.  I still have those irregular heartbeats on average every 4 days, but I'm back to being active.

Point being... half of what was happening to me I was doing myself or making worse by freaking out telling myself I'm gonna die.

So my advice... if the doctors thought you were seriously close to any problems, you'd be in a hospitcal or something.  So don't freak out too much, just stay calm and it will all be OK. The doctors will take care of you.  Take the time to eat better if you have a cruddy diet which mine wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, so I'm eating better now which mentally calms me down as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayers sent GW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm 28, and had some heart palpitations a couple months ago where it felt like my heart was skipping a beat or about to jump out. I had one episode where my heart flipped out, and beat super fast for several seconds straight. Freaked me out so bad I screamed out loud... then I was pastey white for 20 minutes and shaking.

Anyway, long story short I went to a doctor last month, and the echocardiogram found out I have a bicuspid aortic valve.  Basically meaning most people have 3 cusps to open and close, I just have 2. He set me up with a specialist which was a week later.

For that week or two, I freaked out so bad. Everytime I walked up the stairs I felt my heart drop. I was having palpitations every day. I was having headaches and freaking out so bad I was certain I was gonna have a heart attack or something. I couldn't really sleep, even stayed at my g/f's parents house a couple nights cause I was so scared. I wouldn't do faster than a walk either, for if I did I felt my heart drop and I got dizzy.

Went to specialist, he looked at the echocardiogram and said, "You have the valve with a little leakage, but it looks fine. You shouldn't have any problems til you're like 40 as from this test it looks like the rest of your heart is OK.  You have a slight irregular heartbeat, but nothing major."

So we did a treadmill test... passed that just fine.
The irregular heartbeat he said not to worry about but if it bothers me they could give me some meds for it.

It's been about 3 weeks now since I saw him, and I feel fine.  I still have those irregular heartbeats on average every 4 days, but I'm back to being active.

Point being... half of what was happening to me I was doing myself or making worse by freaking out telling myself I'm gonna die.

So my advice... if the doctors thought you were seriously close to any problems, you'd be in a hospitcal or something.  So don't freak out too much, just stay calm and it will all be OK. The doctors will take care of you.  Take the time to eat better if you have a cruddy diet which mine wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, so I'm eating better now which mentally calms me down as well.

Doc even agreed with me today that if I had gone to the hospital with my heart doing what it was and had BCBS insurance I would be more than likely admitted...With no insurance, you have to be next to dead to be admitted to the hospital.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Good luck,and you'll be in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Bump for Update in OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top