Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 1:12:12 PM EDT
D'oh!  Thankfully the guy was a lousy shot.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9949501

Cops: West Jordan homeowner mistakes dog-sitter for robber, fires on teen
By Steve Gehrke
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 07/21/2008 01:21:34 PM MDT

1:21 PM- A West Jordan man fired at a neighboring teenager shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday after mistaking him for an intruder.

Police say the 17-year-old boy had been watching the man's home and taking care of his dogs while he was away on vacation.

The homeowner apparently returned home earlier than expected. When the youth entered the house Sunday night, the man apparently thought he was a robber, according to police.

The homeowner fired three rounds, but none struck the teen.

West Jordan Police spokesman Greg Butler said officers would sit down with the district attorney and discuss potential charges against the homeowner. Possible charges could include discharging a weapon in city limits or discharging a weapon in the direction of a home.

"It was his house, but bullets will exit the walls of homes," said Butler.

Don't see how they can charge him, though.  If he reasonably thought the kid was a robber and feared for his life then he's justified in shooting, even if he had the wrong guy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
When I first read the post I thought take care of the dog. I thought he hired the kid to kill the dog not dogsit him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Don't see how they can charge him, though.  If he reasonably thought he was a robber and feared for his life then he's justified in shooting, even if he had the wrong guy.

But if it was reasonable to believe that there was a legitimate reason for someone to be in his house, he would have a responsibility to decide whether or not the intruder was that person.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Good shootin' Tex..

Edit: This comment is not meant to be offensive to any/all Texans who can't shoot straight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the next time he leaves town he's gonna have to get a new dog sitter.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Why was the dog walker there if he is back in town
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Only in Utah
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Reading, left to right, groups of words form sentences. Some people park in Garages, it hides the car!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
D'oh!  Thankfully the guy was a lousy shot.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9949501

Cops: West Jordan homeowner mistakes dog-sitter for robber, fires on teen
By Steve Gehrke
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 07/21/2008 01:21:34 PM MDT

1:21 PM- A West Jordan man fired at a neighboring teenager shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday after mistaking him for an intruder.

Police say the 17-year-old boy had been watching the man's home and taking care of his dogs while he was away on vacation.

The homeowner apparently returned home earlier than expected. When the youth entered the house Sunday night, the man apparently thought he was a robber, according to police.

The homeowner fired three rounds, but none struck the teen.

West Jordan Police spokesman Greg Butler said officers would sit down with the district attorney and discuss potential charges against the homeowner. Possible charges could include discharging a weapon in city limits or discharging a weapon in the direction of a home.

"It was his house, but bullets will exit the walls of homes," said Butler.

Don't see how they can charge him, though.  If he reasonably thought the kid was a robber and feared for his life then he's justified in shooting, even if he had the wrong guy.

Are you out of your fucking mind?

You give someone permission to enter your home, in fact invite them to do so and then excuse the asshole for shooting at them? You have a responsibility to identify your fucking target man! There is absolutely no way that this is justifiable. It is completely and totally irresponsible and reckless to a damn near deadly degree! This guy belongs in the slam. He almost killed a kid that he hired to watch his dogs. There is no excuse for that.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Because the idiot home owner clearly forgot to notify the kid that he was back in town, probably because he forgot that he had asked the kid to watch his dog, which is probably why he was surprised the kid was in his house. In other words, the home owner is a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
WHY THE HELL WAS THE KID IN THE HOUSE AT 11PM?!?!? He didn't hire a housesitter and if he had the kid would have been there when he got home. Looks like there is more to the story. Kid should have been home not out at 11pm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WHY THE HELL WAS THE KID IN THE HOUSE AT 11PM?!?!? He didn't hire a housesitter and if he had the kid would have been there when he got home. Looks like there is more to the story. Kid should have been home not out at 11pm.

I once housesat for a couple who insisted I visit their house daily at 7am, 11am, 1pm, 5pm, and 9pm...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My dog goes out at about 11:00 pm.

It's so she doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night to go out, or worse piss on the floor.

I know this may sound fucking INSANE...but hear me out on this:

Taking the dog out before bed time might actually be completely reasonable.

I know, I'm way off the fucking deep end here, but just think about that for a few minutes and see if it doesn't start to make a little sense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand you Steve. I also don't like to be woken up by anyone's bladder, even mine. Now that's crazy talk.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Both dogs go out for the last time right around 11:00 PM.
The lab can esily wait till 7:00 AM the next day, but the daughters Cairn terrier pn;y makes it to about 6:30 AM before waking someone up.

Charging the gut with something more serious is probably warranted.
Good thing he missed or it would be malicious wounding or even murder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you out of your fucking mind?

You give someone permission to enter your home, in fact invite them to do so and then excuse the asshole for shooting at them? You have a responsibility to identify your fucking target man! There is absolutely no way that this is justifiable. It is completely and totally irresponsible and reckless to a damn near deadly degree! This guy belongs in the slam. He almost killed a kid that he hired to watch his dogs. There is no excuse for that.  

Oh come on, give him a break - he probably thinks his night vision is superbly honed and he uses his natural instinct instead of one of those stupid bullet magnets (flashlight).  We should excuse a true night warrior this small misunderstanding!

Kidding - Get a weapon light, dumbasses!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once housesat for a couple who insisted I visit their house daily at 7am, 11am, 1pm, 5pm, and 9pm...

I notice you left out 11pm...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top