Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:29:34 PM EDT
How long does it take to make a REAL breakfast?

I'm not talking about the various breakfasts I've read about here such as poptarts, mcdonalds, coffee and a smoke, etc, etc.  We're talking bacon, eggs, sausage, freshly baked bread, freshly squeezed OJ, etc, etc.

Right now I'm making a loaf of bread and I'm thinking the rising time for the dough is gonna be like 2 hours total, plus mixing, kneading, etc, etc.  How housewives put together massive meals in the morning many years back is beyond me.  Hell, they must have woken up at 5 am way before everyone else.

Of course I don't know if housewives actually made full meals from scratch like you see in movies, but if they did, it must have really been a full time job compared to todays full time moms.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll ask my wife later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The whole day
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not long , you can make biscuits from scratch and fry some eggs and make gravy in no time !
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Two eggs, scrambled with cheese and canned mushrooms, two slices of bacon, two or three pancakes made from just-add-water batter, the best bottled OJ you can buy (with maximum pulp), and a pot of coffee.  That's real enough for me and takes ~20 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
With nothing prepared in advance and no help, ~30 minutes.

Eggs (not scambled), bacon (pre cooked), toast and milk/juice(not fresh squeezed) or coffee, 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I can Fry a pound of bacon in 20 min. that and four peices of toast make some blts in 30 min max.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
When I get home from work on Sunday morning at 7:45am.  I'm eating 2 sunny side up, bacon, and wheat toast by 8 o'clock.  I live alone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Two eggs, scrambled with cheese and canned mushrooms, two slices of bacon, two or three pancakes made from just-add-water batter, the best bottled OJ you can buy (with maximum pulp), and a pot of coffee.  That's real enough for me and takes ~20 minutes.

FAIL
I would not dirty a pan for only two.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say 20-30 minutes for a good breakfast (meat, eggs/omelets, potatoes, toast, etc).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If your kitchen is set up right and you've prepped the bread dough the night before, an amateur should be able to do it in twenty minutes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#12]
20-30 minutes at the most.

Who can afford OJ anymore btw?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL
I would not dirty a pan for only two.

Cook the eggs in the same pan. A little pork fat = win
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a big flat electric skillet that covers about half the countertop … get that puppy going with bacon/sausage/both on one end, eggs in the middle, and pancakes on the other end and we can kick out a hearty breakfast in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
With planning the 30 min window is about right.
Bread, start night before. Bacon, eggs and stuff don't take long.
If you read on how things were done on a farm years ago you would learn how it was done.
Wife would get up about 1/2 before everyone else to get wood stove going and make coffee. A light fast meal was put together for the men who had early chores, such as feeding live stock.
During that time the real breakfast was prepaired.
Then the real work was done.
The mid day meal was the bigest with super being left overs
Ask me how I know, growing up on a farm and all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I had steak, eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast this morning.

Takes about 10 minutes to heat the hasbrowns in my new cast iron skillet, half that to fry the egg and the steak was left over from last nights dinner. Just had to cut into bite sized pieces and nuke it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
30-45 minutes

Dozen eggs
20 slices of baked bacon
store bought biscuits
instant pancake mix
OJ and coffee
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
The longest took me about an hour, for Breakfast Burrittos (Eggs, sausage, green pepper, red pepper, onion), and a few other things. Now if I could only remember what the hell I did to make them...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Takes about 15-30 minutes at home (eggs, bacon, toast or bisquits). A little longer on the campsite if I'm only using one stove and cook the eggs in the same pan I cooked the meat in. If I'm doing a Dutch oven breakfast (like a Mountain Man casserole) it would take few hours, but most of that goes into getting the coals ready.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
A breakfast like these will take 20 to 30 min.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top