Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 11:54:44 AM EDT
Has there ever been any study on the amount of particulate matter/pollution you inhale while riding a motorcycle on the highways, especially during heavy traffic?

This is something that somewhat concerns me.  I notice after hard days of riding the highways, I will hock up dusty looking phlegm.  I notice the dust build up on the helmet, jacket, etc. after months of riding.

Seeing how filthy a car's air filter gets after driving 20,000 miles, even though your lungs don't move nearly as many cfms as a car engine, they have had to have inhaled a good amount of dust (brake dust, pavement dust, tire dust, car exhaust, diesel exhaust, etc.)

Is this a valid concern?  Enough to wear a dust mask while riding, no matter how stupid/paranoid you look?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna die. Dibs on your guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Think about all the asbestos dust you are breathing.
Every car and truck on the road today has a set of brakes behind every wheel.

Tractor trailers are especially bad... as they don't generally have brake backing plates to contain most of the brake/asbestos dust.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Obama will save ya.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
interesting question.. no wonder VW (and others, I'm sure) have a cabin air filter that needs periodic changing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
just don't breathe in the bugs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Never had that problem with a full face helmet.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I rode round trip from Tucson to San Diego this past week/weekend.  Dust was blowing in the desert outside of Yuma.  I wasn't having any problems.  I find that some of the dirtiest air has been in hospitals that I have worked in...........

FYI, asbestos hasn't been used in brake material for many years...........
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My face feels horrible to a point of scraping crud off my skin after some rides here in Florida. Im sure some of the ended up in my lungs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wear a full face helmet.  The dust blows in through the vent and from under the chin area.  It's a Shoei RF-1000.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
YOu are going to die of something.  Why die healthy?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear a full face helmet.  The dust blows in through the vent and from under the chin area.  It's a Shoei RF-1000.

Good choice. I also have an RF-1000
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
interesting question.. no wonder VW (and others, I'm sure) have a cabin air filter that needs periodic changing.

I keep all my vehicles on internal air recirculation.. Modern vehicles are very well sealed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're not a smoker, don't worry about it.  Your cillia should be able to clean out your TB tree pretty well.  If you are a smoker, worry, because smoking paralyzes the cillia.  Either way, sporatic exposure isn't likely to cause any long term harm.  It's not the same level as smoking four packs a day while you work in the coal mine.  Personally, I wouldn't worry.  It's the every day exposure combined with poor choices, like smoking, that will get you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top