Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 10:27:13 AM EDT
Do police officers take an oath to uphold the laws of their jurisdiction?  The reason I ask is that I was wondering if a guy could be a cop if he opposed certain laws (e.g. a pro-2A cop in Chicago) to the point where he refused to enforce them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do police officers take an oath to uphold the laws of their jurisdiction?  The reason I ask is that I was wondering if a guy could be a cop if he opposed certain laws (e.g. a pro-2A cop in Chicago) to the point where he refused to enforce them.
uh doubt it highly   in regard to not enforcing  and iam pretty sure there is an oath
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no oath (myth), but they have to shoot 2 dogs for every law they choose to ignore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Of course there is an oath, and you swear to uphold the laws of whatever jurisdiction you work for, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Of course there is an oath, and you swear to uphold the laws of whatever jurisdiction you work for, etc.

OK, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there is an oath.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Our FF's & LEO's oath includes "uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, and to enforce the laws of the State of Illinois and the Ordinances of the City".

I've always wondered how they can do both, when the constitution specifically says RTKBA shall not be infringed, yet local jurisdictions utterly and blatantly infringe upon them … especially now that the Heller decision has clearly demonstrated it to be an individual right. I'd love to see a D.C. Cop slap the cuffs on Fenty for infringing on his constituents rights.

Of course I realize that's about as likely to happen as I am likely to start farting out Whimsical Talking Platypuses with Magic Powers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes you get sworn in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, they really do make you raise your right hand and repeat it.  It's serious business.  Being a cop doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which laws you like.  Sure, you get a little discretion about who does and doesn't get cited but for the most part the law is the law.  Some laws are flat-out dumb and you're free to express that opinion but you aren't free to ignore something because of some ideological agenda.  If you don't think you can support the whole package then you probably don't need to join the team.  

I knew a guy who was deeply committed to the Civil Rights movement in the sixties.  As a cop, he was required to throw a black kid out of a public swimming pool.  He told the kid just exactly what he thought of the law and then carried out his sworn duty.  They agreed to walk out of there with dignity and not give the swine anything to be proud of.  There's a difference between doing your job and being some kind of Hessian.

J.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you aren't free to ignore something because of some ideological agenda.

What you refer to as "some ideological agenda" others refer to as "principle".

At various points in my life I've considered becoming a police officer, but I've come to realize that my unwillingness to enforce drug laws disqualifies me.

Thanks again for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to refer to it as the Constitution Of The United States Of America
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Sad when the Bill of Rights is referred to as an "ideological agenda."
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]

How do you go about defending the Constitution of the US if the State of Illinois and the Ordinances of the City are in violation of it?

Quoted:
Our FF's & LEO's oath includes "uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, and to enforce the laws of the State of Illinois and the Ordinances of the City".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fixed for you. All better now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
i dont know but i thought it was a oath to uphold the laws of the constitution.. hence why running from the cops accross state lines wont save your butt cause they will keep following you... However what do i know.. i aint no cop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How do you go about defending the Constitution of the US if the State of Illinois and the Ordinances of the City are in violation of it?

Quoted:

Because they aren't in violation of the Constitution.  The Second Amendment applies to FEDERAL repeat FEDERAL governments .  That means the Second Amendment does not apply to State and City Laws. I know that is a tough concept and if you don't understand that, you might as well stop reading here.  

The firearms laws in Chicago are constitutional wrt the State Constitution and City Ordinances.  Up until the 2A gets incorporated, the State and City laws apply.  (Broad hint - this is why they are attacking the Chicago laws as an egregious enough departure from the 2A that it should be incorporated.)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution and Laws of Ohio, and the Ordinances of the City.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
All new officers at my department are sworn in on the date of hire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yes, there is an oath that must be taken before you can become a police officer. You are also asked repeatedly by different people if there is any reason you may be morally opposed to upholding the law or intend not to in any capacity.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to refer to it as the Constitution Of The United States Of America

If some aspect of police conduct was clearly unconstitutional, it wouldn't survive the first legal challenge. if you disagree with how a particular aspect of police behavior has been decided on by the courts, then it becomes your personal ideology.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top