Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:04:02 AM EDT
Brands to look at or avoid? Features to get or ignore? Size? Power?

Thanks much.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
straight bar- what ever you get. I bought a cheaper one from Home Depot- under $100.00. It works good. I use it to edge the driveway and sidewalk as well as trim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
straight bar- what ever you get. I bought a cheaper one from Home Depot- under $100.00. It works good. I use it to edge the driveway and sidewalk as well as trim.

Please excuse my stupidity, but what does that mean?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

It means the bar that everything is attached to is straight, rather than bent/ curved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Toro 2 stroke straight shaft trimmer that I bought at Home Depot 3 years ago.

I have not used it a ton but so far it has totally reliable.

It was $170 and takes the generic Ryobi, Toro, etc. attachments.

For the money it was a good buy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Stihl FS90

It'll be the last one you ever buy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a craftsman that I bought on sale for $85 and it will practically cut down a tree.  Starts up everytime and it runs hard.  Make sure you get one that accepts thicker line.  There are many out there that use real thin line and that seems to be the main reason that people will say their trimmer sucks because they have too thin of line for their applications.

Add:  Mine is a 32cc straight trimmer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a brand new WeedEater brand from KMart/Sears for $69.95. I put a generic brush cutter head on it and tore up some vines and junk around the house.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Straight bar/shaft

Curved bar/shaft

The top one is the one I have. It didn't rate too well on homedepot.com. I haven't had any problems with in the year I have owned it and I live in FL and mow the lawn year round. It is a little tough to start initially, but once it is running it works great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you buy, make a survey of small engine places in your area and make sure you can have it serviced.

The more that work on it the better. I have a dead Weedeater and no one will work on it because the parts are such a PIA to get.

I took the POS string assembly off and put something on that looks like a chain saw chain. It would cut down scrubby trees. Gnaw them down's more like it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stihl FS90

It'll be the last one you ever buy.

My brother knows far more about this topic than I do but he says buy Stihl.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My advice is to buy a cordless electric.  Starting gas motor is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I think this is my model

Starts every time, two pulls on choke and then it starts on the next pull.  Runs well.  One downside is that in the spool, the two lines aren't separated like on higher-end models, and sometimes they tangle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My advice is to buy a cordless electric.  Starting gas motor is a pain in the ass.

I have one already... heavy, cumbersome, and it runs out of juice before all the trimming is done.

Time for an upgrade.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

It means the bar that everything is attached to is straight, rather than bent/ curved.

Yep. I bought the cheaper curved shaft, my neighbor had the straight shaft. His is much easier to use to edge. i just bought the edger to compensate, and it is much easier to use than the string to edge with.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#17]
What do you guys think of the "do it all" units?  I'm looking at one where you can take off the trimmer unit and slap on a edger, blower, etc.

Worth it or crap?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What do you guys think of the "do it all" units?  I'm looking at one where you can take off the trimmer unit and slap on a edger, blower, etc.

Worth it or crap?

My FS90 will take a Tiller head, blower head, pole saw, hedge trimmer, just about anything that the "quick change" models will take.  

The difference is that you actually have to turn 2 bolts to change the head, rather than whatever quick change system is on the other models.

I looked at the Stihl quick change model, and for $300 you got an underpowered machine with a weed whip, no other attachments.  For $300 I instead bought the FS90, which is a commercial grade machine, with bike handles, a weed whip and a grass blade.  Then I bought the tiller attachment to weed my garden with.  It's a spectacular machine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an older Weedeater.  That thing is at least 15 years old and still runs well.  It's only issues are hard starting and a rough idle until it gets warmed up.  That could probably be fixed with a tune up, but it always starts so I've never worried about it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
A general rule to follow is the bigger the engine the easier it is to start. Those tiny 20cc ones are a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got the $150 Poulan Pro from china-mart. It has three attachments, and a straight shaft. I've been impressed with it thus far working it hard for two cutting seasons. No maintenance other than one spark plug replacement after I accidentally mixed the fuel a little too oily.

I'm not seeing the $150 model with the included attachments, but here is the base model with no attachments for $114.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8342682

ETA: That is NOT the model that I purchased. Mine has the bicycle handlebars with harness, and a 40cc engine. Sorry about that.

All Poulan Pros have 2yr warranty though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
26cc echo
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
On my second Echo. The first was seven years old, gave it away to my FIL, and it still runs great two years later. My new one is two years old and starts and runs flawlessly. They are the only ones I will buy. Unlike my HONDA mower, biggest POS i have ever owned, and this is also the second one. I didn't learn from the first POS Honda mower I bought.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I like my Stihl weed eater, model is fs55r i believe. It will accept blades as well and i have cut down trees in excess of 3" diameter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#26]
My Husquavarna straight shaft has been good to me.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Stihl FS55 and it's good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
a goat, midsize outdoor goat
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Yup, another vote for Echo.  I don't winterize or really maintain it and it starts every time.

NN
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Echo.  Tune up parts are available at the Home Depot, unlike other brands where you can't get jack shit for them after you bought it.  

I've had mine for 6 years or so, and its still working perfectly.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Worth it or crap?

That's what I use, and I'm pretty happy with it. (Ryobi 31cc) Over about 6(?) years, I've had to replace the carb twice, the primer bulb and line once and the string head once. Both carbs developed a hole in the pump diaphragm. I don't think of that as a lot of maintenance because I use it so much. Having one engine that whacks, edges, blows and saws keeps fresh fuel moving through it so varnish is never a problem. The downside is if the engine is down, then your whacker, edger, blower and saw are all down at once.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Stihl!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think they all pretty much suck. I've had Sthil, Husquavarna, ect. and had problems with them all.

I bought one of those four stroke Troy Builts this year, we'll see.

I've had a Troy Built straight shaft since '04. Still going strong. I added the blower attachment and an edger blade attachment, so far. It's been a good piece of equipment. We do have one at the plant that just croaked, but with the asshats running it, I'm surprised it lasted 5 years.. I'll be buying another (Troy Built) for the plant, this week.

Not mixing gas is really nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top