Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:16 AM EDT

The first time I called, it was just to cancel my telephone service, but still run DSL (because you can apparently do that).  They put me on hold for 45 minutes before the gnawing hunger in my stomach forced me to leave my desk and abandon the call.

The second time I called, it was to cancel ALL of my services, because I didn't appreciate being on hold for that damn long.  I finally got through to an operator who said I reached the wrong office (funny because there wasn't an option on the menu for "Cancel asshat service") and then transferred me to the correct number.

That number then told me that their offices were closed for the holidays and I'd have to call an 800 number it gave me.

The third time I called, which I'm counting as that 800 number, I got that loud and obnoxious error tone which said I was unable to be connected due to the area I was calling from (for an 800 number!? )

That does it.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
8/10...  overuse of smileys..

j/k..  verizon sucks really bad..  I dumped them when I moved, and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
People get arrested for posting things like that...
I feel for you though
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much of a rant.  It's just the typical way Verizon does business.z
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You should change the title of this thread so as not violate the CoC or get yourself investigated. Just send them a written notice next time you send your bill. My dad did this except they canceled two days before his anniversery contract date and charged him an early cancellation fee of $150. He has not paid it and they sent it to small claims- however it has also affected his credit which is why I brought it up. Just be tactful when approaching this and think it through. If you signed a contract then you will have an early cancellation fee which is something to think about. Maybe try again in a few days if you don't mind the fee or don't care about your credit.

RR
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh great - an arson thread.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh great - an arson thread.....

What ever are you talking about?

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Placing call number SEVEN EIGHT...
_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

<---------- Happy VZW customer, my family has had VZW since '93.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

<---------- Happy VZW customer, my family has had VZW since '93.

No experience with Verizon Wireless here.  This is simply trying to cancel a land-line and DSL.  That Verizon and Verizon Wireless are two different companies.

Though I'm sure they're all operated by the same cronies

Something is wrong with a company that relies on the generation of revenue by preventing service cancellation instead of providing great service...

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel your pain...

I have been trying to remove the "5 cents a minute" long distance plan from my home phone for two months.

I finally got it removed, and requested NO long distance plan (of course, there is a 10.00 fee for this removal).

Got it removed, and my bill went UP 5.00.

WTF?  They added thier 'basic long distance plan" for 5.00 each month now.  

Of course, any under-use of long distance service still requires that you pay a 5.00 fee for under-usage.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I feel your pain...

I have been trying to remove the "5 cents a minute" long distance plan from my home phone for two months.

I finally got it removed, and requested NO long distance plan (of course, there is a 10.00 fee for this removal).

Of course, any under-use of long distance service still requires that you pay a 5.00 fee for under-usage.

TRG

Happy 21500, TRG.  Thanks for using it here

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Oopsy.  Have only had Verizon Wireless not Verizon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel your pain...

TRG

_MaH

Posts Per Day:

21500 posts...  The goat needs to spend less time in the campus masturbatorium.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I had Verizon land-line for a long time.  Usually had no trouble with customer service when it came to charges I know I did not incur.  However, I was already using BrightHouse (formerly Time Warner) cable and internet, so I dropped Verizon and went with the cable/internet/phone package and ended up saving over $40/month.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally reached someone.  They're "transferring" me to their "disconnect" department.  They refused to give me a phone number prior to this transfer.

I wouldn't be surprised if this means they're "transferring" me to the black hole of on-hold music until I "disconnect".

If there were a smiley animation blowing its head off this is where I would put it.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Finally reached someone.  They're "transferring" me to their "disconnect" department.  They refused to give me a phone number prior to this transfer.

I wouldn't be surprised if this means they're "transferring" me to the black hole of on-hold music until I "disconnect".

If there were a smiley animation blowing its head off this is where I would put it.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Am Very happy with VZW myself, just don't get me started on Alltel/ATT.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

_MaH

Unfortunately, another smiley, another smiley, accidental (respectively)

There is a gigantic Verizon office complex just down the road from where I live.  Maybe I drop by and try to cancel in person??

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

There is a gigantic Verizon office complex just down the road from where I live.  Maybe I drop by and try to cancel in person??

_MaH
Yes.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear about your trouble.  I'm happy as a Verizon Wireless customer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your trouble.  I'm happy as a Verizon Wireless customer.

Verizon Wireless <> Verizon.

If you do succeed at dropping the landline but keeping DSL, let me know.  I wouldn't mind doing it as well.

ETA: Nevermind, just saw that now you want to get rid of them completely.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

_MaH

As predicted

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Skip the service numbers and just call someone at a nearby corporate office.  Use 411 and just get any number.  HR is good.  Tell them you can't find the right number and ask them to get it for you.  Get their name. Thank them for their help. If they send you to a bullshit number just call them right back.  When it is their problem you'll get it fixed and fast.
Just because they expect you to go through the maze doesn't mean you have to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

_MaH

As predicted

_MaH

The old Kevorkian Hold (C) strikes again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm indifferent at this point about whether or not this ever comes down to this:

Crenshaw
SO, WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU CAN'T CANCEL?

Goodstein
WRITE DOWN THE DATE AND TIME YOU TRIED TO CANCEL, GET THE NAMES AND ID NUMBERS OF THE REPRESENTATIVES YOU TALKED TO, TELL YOUR BANK OR CREDIT CARD TO PROHIBIT WITHDRAWALS BY THE OFFENDING COMPANY AND COMPLAIN TO YOUR STATE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL AND PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION WITH COPIES GOING TO THE "CAN'T CANCEL" COMPANY.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Skip the service numbers and just call someone at a nearby corporate office.  Use 411 and just get any number.  HR is good.  Tell them you can't find the right number and ask them to get it for you.  Get their name. Thank them for their help. If they send you to a bullshit number just call them right back.  When it is their problem you'll get it fixed and fast.

Yep.  Become someone's personal headache, and you'll get results.  Be polite (at least at first), but still be a nuisance.  Much quicker than trying to navigate a phone system that's designed to get you to give up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Become someone's personal headache, and you'll get results.  Be polite (at least at first), but still be a nuisance.  Much quicker than trying to navigate a phone system that's designed to get you to give up.

If it comes to this, it will be in person.  Like I said earlier, there's a huge Verizon office complex just down the street from my home.

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel your pain...

TRG

_MaH

Posts Per Day:

21500 posts...  The goat needs to spend less time in the campus masturbatorium.

21500/7.86

7.5 years hanging around this place... you're right.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#29]

The "Disconnect your service" option was NOT on the menu earlier!

_MaH

ETA:  I'm getting somewhere!!!!  Holy shit!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh my god...

THE DEED IS DONE!!!!

Dear God that was insufferable!

God I need a

_MaH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I'M GOING ON TWO MONTHS OF FIGHTING WITH THESE PEOPLE
I TRIED TO DROP THE PHONE AND KEEP THE DSL ALSO......................SAD
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I kicked their sorry asses out the door about four years ago.
Wasn't any hassle, to be honest, but a great relief...
their bills managed to piss me off more than any other.

Cable TV was a close second, with their $5 monthly increases. They are also long gone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I've found... the best way to get a utility to cancel service (after going through the same "stuck on hold forever bullshit)... is to just stop paying the bill.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#34]
You think cancelling Verizon is hard?  Try cancelling AOL service.

I'm pretty sure they got in trouble for refusing to cancel people and have now altered their procedures.  That was AFTER I did it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I feel your pain...

TRG

I had the 5 cents per minute plan and when they put the letter in the bill saying that they were going to screw you for NOT using long distance I canceled it whith no problems.
My phone bill is 21.70 per month.
No long distance.
No cell phone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You think cancelling Verizon is hard?  Try cancelling AOL service.

I'm pretty sure they got in trouble for refusing to cancel people and have now altered their procedures.  That was AFTER I did it.

www.break.com/index/aolhell.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I've seen this situation happen before.  Some people in the Tampa bay area called their local news stations (Investigative News, Take Action News, etc).  

They will look into the situation for you and make news out of it too.  If it's the one thing companies really hate, it's bad publicity in the spotlight and they will quickly correct it.  If not, the news station will make it look really ugly for them, so try giving them a call.  

Do what another poster suggested...  start taking names and recording time and dates.  

Good luck mate.  

ETA:    

Quoted:
Oh my god...

THE DEED IS DONE!!!!

Dear God that was insufferable!

God I need a

_MaH

I just missed this.  Congrats on your divorce from Verizon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top