Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 8:47:14 AM EDT
What would be wrong with making people who are on welfare work for the government at a very low wage.

If we are going to give them food stamps because they can't afford food, why not give them a job where they don't make much money, and about 70% of what they make can only be used for education expenses.

If you don't want to take that deal, you don't get free shit....

what do you think?
...it's basically forcing them to "learn how to fish".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
CCP

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]

The first thing you would have to do is get the vote away from them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I think welfare should have a limit based on past tax payments
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what do you think?
...it's basically forcing them to "learn how to fish".

I think most would sit in the boat and drink.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
yes, make them pick up trash.  If prisoners can, they can.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

we will never be able to NOT give people a handout. It just won't happen, and probably shouldn't.

The best thing to do is take care of their needs, but make them work to take care of ours.
If they refuse to go to work, they get no benefits. The choice is completely theirs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
We have critical infrastructure problems in this country. If we can't just throw people off the teet, at least make them work for something like the TVA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If you receive assistance and are able-bodied ?  YES
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
they are working for the government keeping a lot of lazy bastards employed as welfare workers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We could make all the accomodations for people who aren't "able bodied". I can see the scam coming

If you can breathe through a straw, we have a job for you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#11]
No. They should just be required to pay it back at some point.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes absolutely.

ETA if they are physically able.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No. They should just be required to pay it back at some point.

They would just be given a pardon down the road...
This seems like the only way to keep people off of the gov handout, and make the ones that need it give us a benefit as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
We have a serious problem with obesity in this country, any outside physical activity would help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes absolutely.

See, that's the hard part. How many people are out on "disability"? Now imagine the "ailments" when we tell people they have to pick up trash on the side of the road or paint buildings or something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#16]
We need fewer government workers, not more.

Just stop sending the check, the rest will sort itself out...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes absolutely.

See, that's the hard part. How many people are out on "disability"? Now imagine the "ailments" when we tell people they have to pick up trash on the side of the road or paint buildings or something.

Yep, I agree.  In the end, probably the only people working would be the ones legitimately on welfare.  The lazies would find a way out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes absolutely.

Give them office work if that's all they can do. We can find a way to make it work. If they can breathe through a straw, we can put them to work!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck the government. It's my money... they should have to work for me!

MOW MY LAWN!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#20]
They spend so much time doing paperwork, they practically do work for the government.

It's non-productive, but so is a lot of government work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#22]
No. The government shouldn't be giving them welfare in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Funny you should ask:

'Work for benefits' plan unveiled

Unemployed people will be forced to work for their benefits, as part of welfare reforms unveiled by Work and Pensions Secretary James Purnell.

He told MPs that from now on, the longer people claimed, the more the state would expect in return.

The Welfare Green Paper includes plans to scrap Incapacity Benefit and make those jobless for more than two years work full-time in the community.

The Tories back the plans, saying many of the ideas were theirs first.

This shake-up will apply to all 4.5 million people on out-of-work benefits, but is expected to impact most on those on Jobseekers Allowance.

Signed off sick

Mr Purnell told the Commons he aimed to reduce those on benefit by a million over the next seven years.

Claimants will have to carry out four weeks' community work once they have been unemployed for more than a year.

Work works and it's only fair that we can ensure that a life on benefits is not an option
James Purnell
Work and Pensions Secretary

After two years, they will be ordered to work full-time in the community.

Incapacity Benefit claimants will all move to the new Employment Support Allowance by 2013, which ministers hope will be regarded, for all but the most disabled people, as a temporary benefit.

People who have been signed off sick will have a new medical check with someone who is not their own GP.

Drug addicts are also being targeted, with the government expecting them to declare their problem and to embark on treatment in return for benefits.

Mr Purnell said the plans would "transform lives" and help achieve the government's ambition of an 80% employment rate.

"Instead, the longer people claim, the more we will expect in return. At three months and six months, claimants will intensify their job search and have to comply with a back to work action plan," he said.

"Work works and it's only fair that we can ensure that a life on benefits is not an option."

For the first time all parents on benefits will be able to keep their maintenance payments, he said.

And he pledged to "simplify the bewildering complexity of the benefits system".

The Conservatives say they will support many of the proposals, effectively neutralising any Labour backbench opposition.

But shadow work and pensions secretary Chris Grayling claimed the plans were a "straight lift" of those previously put forward by his party.

"Since these are Conservative proposals we will certainly support them," he said.

"I know you will have some difficulties getting them through your own party. Can I assure you we will help you get them through this House even if you have a backbench rebellion to contend with."

No difference?

The Liberal Democrats have welcomed some elements of the Green Paper, but are reserving their judgment on whether to support ministers.

But former welfare reform minister Frank Field told the BBC's Today programme he doubted the proposals would make any difference.

"The key fault in the old system is being brought into the new system, and that is if you can get through the employment capacity test... you'll get onto a higher rate of benefit," he said.

HAVE YOUR SAY As long as people are paid a fair wage for their work, why shouldn't they work for benefits? Peter Hearty, Southend-on-Sea

Mr Field said he had been arguing for 10 years that there should be a single rate of benefit for people of working age who were unable to work. They should be funded via the Disability Living Allowance, not benefits, he said.

"The whole emphasis here, naturally, will be for people not to get jobs but to get onto the higher rate of benefit," he added.

And Labour left-winger Jeremy Corbyn said he was "surprised and disappointed" that the government seemed to be "punishing people for being poor".

In February government welfare adviser David Freud suggested less than a third of the 2.7 million people claiming the benefit were doing so legitimately.

'Deep concerns'

Lib Dem work and pensions spokeswoman Jenny Willott said the government's plans "ignore the disincentive to work that our complex benefit system has created".

"The fact that over half of children living in poverty are in working households is largely ignored," she said. "Reforms must ensure that work really pays or we will see poverty levels rising in Britain."

Jon Sparkes, chief executive of the disability charity Scope, said he had "deep concerns about the tone of these reforms and the target-led ethos underpinning them".

He added: "Disabled people face a myriad of barriers in finding employment, including negative attitudes from employers and inadequate social care support.

"Punitive measures against individual disabled claimants will do nothing to remove these barriers."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/7516551.stm

Published: 2008/07/21 16:21:50 GMT

© BBC MMVIII
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#24]

YES !!

Most of our national parks were bulit by those in CC camps in the 1930's.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They already know how to manipulate the system and would have NO trouble at all finding a way to show they are not able-bodied.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They already know how to manipulate the system and would have NO trouble at all finding a way to show they are not able-bodied.

IF THEY CAN BREATHE THROUGH A STRAW!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We could make all the accomodations for people who aren't "able bodied". I can see the scam coming

If you can breathe through a straw, we have a job for you!

Or if you can cash your check we have job for you !!

5sub
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Should people on welfare have to work for the government?

Yes. picking up trash and breaking rocks. With 7 hours of work and one hour mandatory literacy class with homework at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#29]
fucking parasites should starve.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We have critical infrastructure problems in this country. If we can't just throw people off the teet, at least make them work for something like the TVA.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#32]
They already do, its called the Post Office.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#33]
i dont believe there should be a welfare system available period
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'd be happy with simply forfeiting your voting right by accepting welfare.

Suck at the teat or drive the pig. Not both at once.

In true AR15.com fashion, I think they should "get both."

If we assume that public assistance has to exist, then anyone on it should 1) lose their right to vote as long as we're picking up the tab for their life, and 2) be forced to work 8-10 hours of labor (preferably hard) to benefit the public each day.  

Don't like either condition?  Then get off your ass and pay your own way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top