Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:27:07 AM EDT
Would you go to your AR in a HD situation regardless of what the media would spin it into?

Not to hijack another thread about a gun rag writer.

I know that is my go to gun before a pistol. My wife prefers a pistol but has the AR next to the bed regardless.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
AR FTW.

Beta Mag optional
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Would you go to your AR in a HD situation regardless of what the media would spin it into?

I know that is my go to gun before a pistol. My wife prefers a pistol but has the AR next to the bed regardless.

We all seen what the 5.56 does to dry wall so no, I'd more then likely grab my .45.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
fuck the media

castle law in my state if it is a clean shoot I don't have to worry about a damned thing
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The fist gun i could grab would be mine
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
for a home defense situation the go to gun will be the first one i get my hands on. that could be anything from a suppressed .22 pistol to a 30-06 beltfed.

a good shoot is a good shoot. fuck the media.
Oh yeah, totin' 1919 around the house
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the situation.

I have a 45 handgun next to my bed. In the living room on the middle level I have a 32acp handgun hidden someplace. In the basement I have a 38spl snubby hidden somewhere.

I have an AR in the safe in my bedroom, and I have several ARs in the safe in the basement.

If I have time, like there is a ruckus outside, I get my AR. If someone kicks my door in I grab whatever is closest.

I prefer the AR, but I am not going to leave several out of the safe all the time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I will use anything or any gun that is closest!! I keep a tactical shotgun by me at all times FWIW!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We all seen what the 5.56 does to dry wall so no, I'd more then likely grab my .45.

And you think a .45 will not penetrate multiple layers of drywall?
Anything that will stop a human threat will penetrate drywall. Likewise anything that will not penetrate drywall probably won't stop a person.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Whatever is closest, usually my .45 but if the AR is there all the better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have my tacticooled Colt next to my bed, which sits next to my M590A1, which leans on the nightstand that has my M&P .45. The AR and the pistol have weapons lights, the shotgun does not. If I need to go look for something or investigate a noise, the guns with lights are used. If I knew someone was coming I'd probably go with the shotgun for it's 9 rounds of buckshot and it's associated awesomeness at stopping things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely.  I'd rather be in court explaining why my family is still safe versus crying to the media about why I couldn't defend them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Glock 21 loaded w/ 8 other loaded mags in the clam shell case. plus my FN Fal loaded leaning up against my night stand. Its ok, I never really liked my neighbors anyway .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless the S has HTF or I'm being threatened by MZBs or something, I am sticking with a pistol for HD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I voted "NO" , but not because of the spin or lawsuits. I don't want to become deaf firing it indoors.

Where is the option for pistol with light attached - that's my go-to , then the AR if I need to defend the perimeter.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
yes...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Since I live in a townhouse where I share a wall with a neighbor, and that wall would be the backdrop for a bad guy if he entered my bedroom, I'm gonna skip the AR for HD.

I'll use my .50 BMG carbine instead... I wanna see who's apartment it stops in, my guess is 12 down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I voted "NO" , but not because of the spin or lawsuits. I don't want to become deaf firing it indoors.

Where is the option for pistol with light attached - that's my go-to , then the AR if I need to defend the perimeter.

-JC

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Due to swedish law I'd be screwed no matter what gun I use. If I had an AR I'd definitely use it for HD.

Usually I just keep the G19 loaded next to my bed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#21]
That is going to be REALLY loud!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
for a home defense situation the go to gun will be the first one i get my hands on. that could be anything from a suppressed .22 pistol to a 30-06 beltfed.

a good shoot is a good shoot. fuck the media.

You Sir , have have a style all your own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything that will stop a human threat will penetrate drywall. Likewise anything that will not penetrate drywall probably won't stop a person.

The .223 will penetrate a lot deeper then a .45 round will. I want to minimize the risk to my neighbors as much as possible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
i have 4 of these on order so i dont expect intruders to get inside my wire..

was using claymores but the kids kept stealin em...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Whatever I have with me is fine...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-JC

+1

Fired a handgun in a hallway without ears?  Neither option is below the pain threshold and people who have BTDT are not deaf.  I have it on good authority that a handgun in a car is quite excruciatingly loud.  I doubt it's much better in the confines of your home hallway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The .223 will penetrate a lot deeper then a .45 round will. I want to minimize the risk to my neighbors as much as possible.

Thats not true.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Not enough stopping power. I prefer a 12 gauge.

I would use one if it was the only thing on hand. I've got a 930SPX loaded with #3 buck that I would prefer. It will stop anyone dead in their tracks with one shot, and it doesn't matter so much where you hit them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I would use one if it was the only thing on hand. I've got a 930SPX loaded with #3 buck that I would prefer. It will stop anyone dead in their tracks with one shot, and it doesn't matter so much where you hit them.

I've seen dead people who fought on after some horrific wounds. 12 gauge being nothing compared to what these people were subjected to. Don't bet the farm on a single shotshell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true.

Wanna make a bet?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true.

Wanna make a bet?

What do I win???

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#35]
16" AR with Aimpoint and light. It's the most accurate weapon I own, has functioned thru many rifle matches and class, has more power and less over-penetration risk than anything else I have, 30 rounds beats the hell out of the shotgun or pistols, What's not to like?

BSW

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#36]
10mm with DT 180gr Gold Dots.
No worries
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true.

Wanna make a bet?

What do I win???

.45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) - 7 pine boards, bounced off 8th.
XM-193. - 12 pine boards and still going.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen dead people who fought on after some horrific wounds. 12 gauge being nothing compared to what these people were subjected to. Don't bet the farm on a single shotshell.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't stop shooting until I knew they were dead.

Side note: #3 buck that I'm using has seventeen .30 caliber rounds that move at 1800fps. if you place a round well enough to get all of the pellets into a person, it's almost the same as shooting them 17 times with a .32 caliber handgun. Except the .32 is only moving at like 1100fps. (I'm pretty sure the above are the correct numbers. It's been a while since I looked though)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true.

Wanna make a bet?

What do I win???

I thought we were talking about walls (sheet rock)? My walls are not made of pine board.

All went through 12.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Justifiable use of deadly force is the same wheter you use an AR, revolver, side by side, or chainsaw.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true.

Wanna make a bet?

What do I win???

I thought we were talking about walls (sheet rock)? My walls are not made of pine board.

All went through 12.

Naturally a rifle round will penetrate a lot deeper then a handgun round will.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't. I wouldn't stop shooting until I knew they were dead.

Side note: #3 buck that I'm using has seventeen .30 caliber rounds that move at 1800fps. if you place a round well enough to get all of the pellets into a person, it's almost the same as shooting them 17 times with a .32 caliber handgun. Except the .32 is only moving at like 1100fps. (I'm pretty sure the above are the correct numbers. It's been a while since I looked though)

17 .32 cal pellets that don't expand, yaw or fragment.

That don't penetrate deeply enough.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Rifle/Carbine>Shotgun>Handgun.  

If I had an AR, it would be my first choice for HD.  I currently use another, cheaper type of semi-automatic rifle in that role.  I'm too poor to afford an AR, and I'd rather lose a $260 gun to the police than an $800+ one.  

For those who want to argue about "stopping power", it is all about: "Where you hit the person and how many times you can hit them." - Dr. Vincent DiMaio
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Depeding on my location in the house at that time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Here pistols penetrated more walls. When the .223 hit the walls, it only went through 3 walls.

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot12_4.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Naturally, the one with the most mass will penetrate deeper in sheetrock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here pistols penetrated more walls. When the .223 hit the walls, it only went through 3 walls.

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot12_4.htm

+1.  Here's another thing that those who are overly concerned with wall penetration need to read:

Bullet penetration in homes

A consistent worry with people thinking about the self-defense uses of their purchased firearms is over penetration of bullets within their abode - be it a house or an apartment. The same applies to potential uses outside, either into or from a vehicle or elsewhere. Once again Hollywood has done us a great disservice in either exaggerating or de-emphasizing effectivity of firearms; in some films a small .32ACP round will blast an assailant off his or her feet and have them fly several body lengths through the air from the impact. On the other side of the power curve some films show actors taking cover behind flimsy drywall or plywood and bullets seem to bounce off this surface (usually to the sound effect of ricochets). None of these scenarios come close to reality. Many people also assume that because rifle bullets are designed to travel far and are higher-powered than handgun rounds that they will also go through numerous walls before stopping. This is not accurate.

Self-defense bullets are most often hollow-pointed, meaning that the tip of the bullet is concave and not a solid sharp point. This type of shape assists the bullet "mushrooming" or deforming when it hits a surface, thus causing a larger frontal surface area and subsequently slowing down faster - in the process transferring the kinetic energy to the target. The idea behind this design is to ensure that the bullet will not over penetrate and continue flying on through and past the target. Even though rifle rounds such as the .223 Remington and .308 Winchester usually have pointed tips their design is such that the bullet starts to tumble and break up upon penetrating a surface and therefore do not over penetrate.

Typical construction materials used in Arizona consist of wooden frames and drywall. Studies have shown that both defensive handgun (hollow point) and rifle rounds can travel through 2 or 3 drywalls but then penetrate no further. This would equate to one interior wall and then the exterior wall. The amount of energy and projectile size after going through one wall with 2 layers of drywall is significantly reduced in both types of rounds and may already be considered less than lethal. A recent Mesa Police Department study shows that rifle rounds pose less of an over penetration risk than do handgun rounds; one curious effect is that some hollow point projectiles will hit a drywall and have their cavity fill up with the material and subsequently act as ball-rounds. When walls are made of cinder block or brick the study has shown that rounds will not penetrate and no penetration occurs using defensive handgun and .223 caliber rifles. So the myth of a round going through the house walls then the neigbor's car and finally their TV-set remains exactly that - a myth.

www.scottsdalegunclub.com/faq/bullet_penetration.php

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naturally, the one with the most mass will penetrate deeper in sheetrock.

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, a 9mm 124 gr. bullet or a .45 ACP 230 gr. bullet has more mass than a 55 gr. or 62 gr. 5.56mm bullet.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Hey maybe you should just use a slingshot, you know that has a less chance of over penatration
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Not sure of the exact source of this. I've had a copy for a while but found a link while googling.

tpd_penetration_test.doc
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top