BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:16:12 AM EDT
Anybody know who makes them??
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Champion Labs.  They also make Mobile 1 and Bosch filters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man, i will start buying them............i have had bad luck with Fram.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Champion Labs IIRC.  Pretty good filters for the price.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks man, i will start buying them............i have had bad luck with Fram.

Fram oil filters =
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Who makes the Super-Tech oil?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Good filters, I have been using them exclusively for a couple of years.  They are definitely much better than Fram filters.  Believe it or not, there's actually a website devoted to oil and filters.  I think its Bob-the-oil-guy or something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Champion labs for Wal Mart isn't the same as Champion labs AC or Bosch.

They are made in Mexico crap with plastic innards. Don't believe me, get an AC or Bosch and look inside next to a Super Tech and you will see the differences.

Get a good filter, buy Baldwin filters.

http://www.bfwebexpress.com/
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quaker State, I think.

Doesn't really matter, though.  As long as it has the API seal on it, it's gtg for all car engines regardless of the brand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used Fram filters for years on cars that have gone well over 250k miles and never had any issues relating to "cheap filters".

Whatever
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Exxon/Mobil if I remember right.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've used Fram filters for years on cars that have gone well over 250k miles and never had any issues relating to "cheap filters".

Whatever

Well, i got one with ZERO return holes,put it on and promptly blew 5 qts.and the filter O-ring onto the ground.
I do look carefully now, at any filter.YMMV

ETA: the o-ring, not the filter body.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Whatever

Same here.  One of my mechanics swears by FRAM.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I dunno but I use ST on my motorcycle.

Interesting Supertech page
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

He's a mechanic.  He's paid to fix broken things.  If he wants to get paid early, he puts a Fram filter on it.  

You want to put a decent filter on something.  Put a Wix filter on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

I use FRAM only because the plastic grip on the filter makes it a heck of alot easier to turn the darn thing, especially when you've got limited space like on a GM 3.1 L.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

He's a mechanic.  He's paid to fix broken things.  If he wants to get paid early, he puts a Fram filter on it.  

Yeah, I'm sure he's secretly plotting to blow up everyone's motors.  

Was there a 2 for 1 sale on tinfoil yesterday or what?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

This.  

Wix are top notch.  The only thing Fram does well is advertise.  On engines where the filter is sideways or inverted, the Fram filters will often let all of the oil drain out due to a faulty check valve.  When you start the engine you get to wait for it to refill before you get any oil pressure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
NAPA Gold/Wix
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
NAPA Gold/Wix

+1, thats all I'll use. Theres a website somewhere that did quite extensive testing of all the major oil filter brands, and was a pretty interesting read.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

I always look for Wix now. When I was racing Chebby engines I started using Fram because I wanted the good stuff. Turned out I wasn't getting it. Whenever I changed filters, usually around 100 miles on track, I cut the filters open to clean out any debris for inspection, looking for any metal accumulation.

When I opened Frams, I was likely to find they had come apart inside because they broke on the spot welds. The third time it happened, I started looking at a display in my local parts store that had an open Fram, AC and Wix. Both the AC and Wix were obviously better construction than the Fram. I tried both but settled on Wix because they were cheaper and I never had a problem with one in the next 4 years of racing or on any of my street cars.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

Wix is what i have been running, i was layed off two mths. ago and thought i might save alittle money.I will save it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is what I like to use on my GM cars:

1.  Mobil
2.  Putolator PureOne
3.  AC Delco
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Last I heard, conventional was Texaco/Havoline, synthetic was Pennzoil.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Theres a website somewhere that did quite extensive testing of all the major oil filter brands, and was a pretty interesting read.

Link  Link
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Here is what I like to use on my GM cars:

1.  Mobil
2.  Putolator PureOne
3.  AC Delco

Basically +1 except a few years ago, quite a few guys were having problems with the filters being extremely restrictive at higher RPM's and PSI....I dunno if thats changed since then or not.

Cant beat the P1 at $5.xx except maybe Wix and ACD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Back when I had my turbo car, I would use a purolator pure one and mobil 1, I'd change the oil around 3-3.5K miles. I felt bad for doing it, the oil looked VERY useable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I use Purolator or Motorcraft (same filter).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

This.  

Wix are top notch.  The only thing Fram does well is advertise.  On engines where the filter is sideways or inverted, the Fram filters will often let all of the oil drain out due to a faulty check valve.  When you start the engine you get to wait for it to refill before you get any oil pressure.

Except that he uses FRAM is his own personal vehicles.  I don't know where you people get these FRAM issues, I have NEVER had a FRAM filter do anything except filter oil cheaply.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

This.  

Except that he uses FRAM is his own personal vehicles.  I don't know where you people get these FRAM issues, I have NEVER had a FRAM filter do anything except filter oil cheaply.

Yeah, thats the issue. Its not that a FRAM will cause your engine to explode the moment you put it on, its just they're cheap ass filters and will NOT do as good a job as your higher end filters. And for only a few bucks difference every several thousand miles why cheap out?

people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Here's a quote from that site, but I'd recommend reading through it, as its got some good info.

Fram Extra Guard
Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer.  Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there.  It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place.  The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan.  The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time.  The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.  I had one of these filters fail in my previous car.  The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system.  The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard
Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram.  The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element.  It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow.  The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze.  They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50.  As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine.  It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing.  Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out.  Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines.  Please do not waste your money on this filter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#31]
What do you guys recommend for a Civic?  I've been buying the factory Honda filters, but at $9 a pop, I was wondering if there was anything just as good, for less?  Also, I wouldn't have to trek all the way over to the Honda dealer....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

This.  

The FRAM issues are readily apparent to anyone who opens one up and compares it to a quality, well made oil filter.
FRAM isn't the company it used to be.

Of course, if you want to pay $6 for a filter that falls apart internally, while in service,
versus $3 for a filter that doesn't... more power to you!

I like the Purolator filters, great bang for the buck,
whether you buy the cheap Premium Plus or spring the few extra bucks for the Pure One filter.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What do you guys recommend for a Civic?  I've been buying the factory Honda filters, but at $9 a pop, I was wondering if there was anything just as good, for less?  Also, I wouldn't have to trek all the way over to the Honda dealer....

Purolator Premium Plus filters are inexpensive but very well made.
I usually stock up when theres rebates, which makes em even cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

This.  

Experience and paying attention, that's where we get these issues.  Little things like "Huh, my engine has no oil pressure for a couple of seconds when I start it up."  That isn't a good thing.  Paying $2 more to get a quality Wix filter is quite cheap to avoid this.  Do what you want with your ride.  The reality has been well laid out for you here.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I don't think I am shedding any new light on the subject, but here goes.  

If you don't mind paying close to the same amount as the Honda filter, Mobile 1 is good.  If you want to save a little $ and still get a good filter, the Purolator Pureone is good for about 1/2 the cost.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
On engines where the filter is sideways or inverted, the Fram filters will often let all of the oil drain out due to a faulty check valve.  When you start the engine you get to wait for it to refill before you get any oil pressure.

Mounting the filter sideways or inverted would have nothing to do with the drainback, would it?  My 22RE & AMC 304 both have horizontal filters and drainback regardless of the filter brand.....

Is the linked website the 'testing' where the guy cut the filters apart and based his pronouncements on the number of pleats only?

Brian

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On engines where the filter is sideways or inverted, the Fram filters will often let all of the oil drain out due to a faulty check valve.  When you start the engine you get to wait for it to refill before you get any oil pressure.

Mounting the filter sideways or inverted would have nothing to do with the drainback, would it?  My 22RE & AMC 304 both have horizontal filters and drainback regardless of the filter brand.....

Is the linked website the 'testing' where the guy cut the filters apart and based his pronouncements on the number of pleats only?

Brian

He based it on more than that, construction of the filter mainly.

And AMCs are terrible about oiling
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#39]
A good friend of mine used to design filters for SPX Filtran for a living. He used Purolater One filters on everything he could.

Me? I use a mix of Nippon (Japanese), Mahle and Mann (European), and OEM (Mitsubishi). I've cut them apart, and all are excellent quality, and the Nippons and OEM have plastic covers for the open end (that you take off before installation) and the o-rings are pre-greased (which is NOT the sign of a cheap filter).

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I heard, conventional was Texaco/Havoline, synthetic was Pennzoil.

Now it's all (dino and syn) made by Warren Petroleum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Factory A02's are made by Fram, A01's are made by Filtech.  If you really want to run factory filters, hit ebay for A01's and you can usually get them for about $5 shipped.  

I usually just ran Purolator, Wix, or Napa on mine.  No problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NAPA Gold/Wix

+1, thats all I'll use. Theres a website somewhere that did quite extensive testing of all the major oil filter brands, and was a pretty interesting read.

I use the NAPA Gold filters as well, which as aforementioned are manufactured by Wix. Been using them on my jeep since I got it 3.5 years ago with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Fram is crap stay away.

Purolator, Motorcraft, AC Delco, Fleetguard, Baldwin, Wix are all excellent choices.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I use Mann oil filters... FTW
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I put over 300K on a truck with nothing but FRAM filters.   They may be built cheaper than the rest, but they work.  24K gold plated anti drainback valves may not necessarily be needed in an oil filter.

That being said, I only use Purolator PureOne filters and my vehicles and motorcycle.

ETA -- all engines take a couple of seconds to build up oil pressure when you first start them.  If the oil filter is empty, it takes about 5 seconds.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I just recently started changing my own oil again as opposed to running to Jiffy Lube every 5K, and I actually stocked up on fram filters ( they were on sale ), so what filter would you recommend for an 03 GMC sonoma, 2.2 4cyl
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just recently started changing my own oil again as opposed to running to Jiffy Lube every 5K, and I actually stocked up on fram filters ( they were on sale ), so what filter would you recommend for an 03 GMC sonoma, 2.2 4cyl

If you have a NAPA store nearby, get a Wix or NAPA Gold filter. Part number will be 51040 for the Wix, or 1040 for the NAPA, as its the same filter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a NAPA store nearby, get a Wix or NAPA Gold filter. Part number will be 51040 for the Wix, or 1040 for the NAPA, as its the same filter.

I do, thanks. I have an AutoZone a 1/4 mile from the house, a NAPA maybe 1/2. I will stop by, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Purolator or Wix are my suggestions personally.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top