Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 8:08:05 AM EDT
For me, it was the first time going deep sea fishing with my dad.  It was at Shelter Cove, CA.  An old truck would push us out past the waves on the beach.  These were little boats with an outboard motor.  Then we went way out to my dad's "secret" spot.  There were whales swimming by, sharks, and jellyfish.  Then the fishing!!!  Lingcod, and red snapper.  And nothing can beat eating fresh fish caught the same day.

What's your story???
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a life long hunter and have a lot of great memories, most of the best ones with my dad.

examples:
took my wife on her first turkey hunt and I killed a double (she was just along for the ride).

took my dad on his first hunt and called in his first harvested bird for him.

took my wife on her first deer hunt and coached her along when she harvested her first one.

took my second double on turkeys while calling for my dad (he didn't have a shot).

helped my dad "work the area" on our lease and he finally took a 135 class eight point white tail last year (after a lifetime of many deer but no really nice bucks).

took my dad to TX on a deer hunt just because he wanted to go.

killed my first deer with a bow within sight of my dad.

I'm not even going into all to good dove shoots we've been on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to say my first black powder trip with my dad - hunting white tail in northwest Pa with a 54cal flintlock, in the rain.  I bagged a huge doe despite three misfires. Damn doe just stood there like she knew I'd never get the thing to go off.

She was wrong.

I was maybe 14 at the time, and had hunted before with centerfire and shotgun but never with a muzzle loader. That rifle (built almost from scratch by my dad) is now among my most prized possesions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll never forget my first real fishing trip.  I was 10, went out with my ophthalmologist on his boat with my mom, stepfather, brother, and one of the ministers from our church.

I caught my first ocean fish - a decent-sized bonito that seemed huge to me.

We fileted and ate the fish that evening, and left the head and skin out on the back porch.  My cat ate the whole mess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#5]
First- Catfishing on the Pascagoula River in Ms when I was 4.

Favorite- Every time I go fly fishing for trout at Lake Taneycomo in Mo. I went this morning in fact.

Edit: clarification
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Going up to Hayward, WI from 1969-1971 with the old man
fishing for Smallmouth, Largemouth, Crappie, Walleye, Pike, and Muskellunge
all from the same lake. Awesome memories
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Week-long smallmouth trips to the Potomac river in West Virginia. Been going there my whole life. Went with my grandfather, now my dad, my son, and I go together.

The old days when Grandpap was still alive:

And any hunting trip involving my dad and son.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
My Dad being the lucky man he is won an all expenses paid trip for two to Ketchikan, AK to the Bear Valley Lodge for 5 days and nights.
I figured right from the get go that I was going with him, when I called to find out when we were going he informed me that He and my Mom were going fishing and if I wanted to go I could pay my way. I figured it was a good opportunity to go fishing with my folks again and see a beautiful piece of our nation.
I found out the price almost crapped my pants and then I realized I had just got a bonus from the Navy so I fronted the money and went.
I caught numerous halibut all the way up to 60 pounds or so, 3 King salmon, all right around 33lbs, and a 19.8lb yellow eyed red rock fish (Red Snapper) that was the biggest one they have ever caught at the Lodge up there.
It was worth every penny and I am looking for a time to go back soon. Might have to wait till next year though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was 16, my dad, my uncle and I went to Alaska.  We spent 6 days and nights on a boat out of Whittier.  I caught 104lb halibut, dozens of silvers and a few reds.  My dad got into a much larger halibut but broke his line.  My uncle caught another 100 pounder.  We anchored the boat in a little inlet every night, and while they would sit in the cabin drinking boxed wine with the boats captain, I would sit in the zodiac towed behind the boat and bottom jig.  I caught all sorts of things, red snapper, cod, flounder, even a salmon shark at one point, but ended up losing it as I wasn't using a leader.

Every morning we'd drop shrimp pots, and pull them up after a day of fishing.  Fresh shrimp right out of the pot was amazing.  We had fresh halibut chowder.  One night, we put into a little inlet and I noticed on the map that there was an inland pond about a mile away.  We took the zodiac to shore, the captain gave me his GP100 .357 and said "Watch out for bears."  We never made it to the pond, 1 mile on a map is much different than 1 mile of nearly vertical climbing, but we did find an old gold panning setup on the creek that came from the pond.

This was the last "trip" I was able to take with my dad, as his MS progressed rapidly afterwards.  He's still with us, but bed ridden and nearly incapacitated.  It was 13 years ago now, but I remember it like yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite fishing trips was just like any other saturday I spent with my dad and my brothers. I was about 8 or so, and I was wandering around the edge of the pond and I found a cicada on a tree, buzzin away. I put it on my hook and it was still buzzing. I threw it into the pond and BOOM I had something huge on my line. Ended up being largemouth, about 5 pounds I think. It was a monster to me, and its one of my fondest memories.

Hunting? Being up in a deer stand, just as dawn was breaking, watching the sun rise over the hilltops, seeing the dew glisten on the grass, and having a buck silently walk right out into the clearing from under my stand. He also conveniently kept a branch of a tree in between his vitals and my arrow. It was a great day though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I can remember when I was 6 years old and went fishing for the first time. I was with my grandparents and my family. We went to my great uncle's farm that had a decent sized pond and fished the entire day. everyone left around 3 or so but my grandpa and I fished an extra hour or two. I caught a few small fish but we only kept two decent sized bass that I caught. Really haven't fished that many times since then. Screw suburbia.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Out moose hunting with Dad and others we had 5 moose down in 36 hrs. We were beat. At 48 hrs we had 6 of them down. They were not little moose they averaged 38in across. That is one of many trips with Dad i will remember.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I was 9, and went down to a dock near our house with my stepdad to go fishing after dinner, like most nights in the summer back then.   Usually just caught crappies, some walleyes, and some bass (backwater inlet from the Mississippi, with a stream running into it.)  casting like usual, hooked something BIG.  after a fight that seemed like it took forever (hell, 5 minutes is forever when you're 9)  finally got the MONSTER to shore.  Was a Northern Pike,  about 8lbs.  Not huge, but big when you're 9, and the damn thing is 3/4 as long as you are tall, if not longer.    Stepdad and I got it in, but were unprepared for anything with teeth.  Hauled it up the embankment from the dock up to the train tracks between the highway and the dock.  Stepdad went to get a tire iron, neither of us felt like sticking our hands in that pike's mouth.   Step dad gives it a good solid whack on the head, stupid fish didn't die, just got pissed off.  Ripped the hook out, and flopped down the embankment towards the water. I thought for sure I had lost my fish.  Luckily, it came to rest against a stump.  we picked it up, took it back up to the train tracks, and he whacked it again, this time, at least stunning it or killing it, we weren't quite sure.

We took it to our neighbors house, who lived right down the frontage road from us.  He was an avid pike fisherman, and my stepdad wasn't really sure the best way to fillet it. We weren't going to let that thing go to waste!  he taught us how to best fillet it, and then we took it home, cleaned, filleted, and cubed it.  Pickled it with some vegetables from our garden, and had the best snack food ever.  Pickled pike along with peppers and onions on crackers with some mayo.   So good.  And I was so proud every time I opened that refrigerator and saw that giant jar of veggies, pike, and brine.

I miss those days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
i have never been hunting and ive never been on a fishing trip. but whenever i going fishing locally with my son its always my favorite time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top