Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 2:04:38 AM EDT
If you are under 31 you can get a working holiday visa and my boss needs 2 workers. Pay is $34K working as kitchenhand in Tasmania. Easy job 40 hours per week. 10 days on 4 days off. Net $860 per fortnight after tax and paying your board ($100 per week includes all meals) Probably the best hiking part of the country in world heritage area. Work 6 or 7 months and then use your cash to travel the rest. Im tasked the job of hiring . Town has population of 30 people but gets busy over the tourist season. Job would suit independent people like you nutcases

PM if interested and can someone show me how to clean my inbox thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Can I bring my guns?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!

31?  Not that I would want to do that.

Did a job is WA 12 years ago...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can I bring my guns?

Everyone has a gun there but you wouldnt make it past the airport im afraid
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you are under 31 you can get a working holiday visa and my boss needs 2 workers. Pay is $34K working as kitchenhand in Tasmania. Easy job 40 hours per week. 10 days on 4 days off. Net $860 per fortnight after tax and paying your board ($100 per week includes all meals) Probably the best hiking part of the country in world heritage area. Work 6 or 7 months and then use your cash to travel the rest. Im tasked the job of hiring . Town has population of 30 people but gets busy over the tourist season. Job would suit independent people like you nutcases

PM if interested and can someone show me how to clean my inbox thanks.

Dang if i was only single, I dont think my wife would go for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a cool offer for your very important and symbolic 556th post.
Is there a period of time you're taking applications? 24hrs? 30min?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!

People pay $300 a night and $100 a day to trek there its world heritage listed. Dont know what you are missing my friend. and $18 an hour to wash dishes is not too bad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's a cool offer for your very important and 556th post.
Is there a period of time you're taking applications? 24hrs? 30min?

Work starts end of october till end of april or may 09 but the boss gets back this week and would like to know its been sorted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Wish you would have posted this in April. You could have had me for the summer. Err...winter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

No thanks… I take home that in a week for 35hrs…
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can I bring my guns?

The Australian Customs Service will NOT be amused.

Then again, last time I came home from overseas they just waved me through. The key is to declare something - chocolate works well - because otherwise they X-Ray your bags.

One of my friends brought back a replica pistol. That was interesting for him to say the least...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, that would be a cool gig!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

Its a kitchenhand job suited for travellers man and that money is what you SAVE because everything else is paid for. $860 a fortnight is alot of drinking money
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

More power to ya!

And today I have absolutely nothing to do here at work so I can spend the day posting on ARFCOM…
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
How hard is it to get a Visa? I don't even have a passport, but I would love to go there. Any restrictions? Can you describe the job duties, local, employer, etc?
My interest is piqued.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

More power to ya!

And today I have absolutely nothing to do here at work so I can spend the day posting on ARFCOM…

I wouldnt brag about earning $1000 per week man thats chickenfeed here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
clean your inbox by "archiving" your old messages.  It'll send the messages in an email to the address you listed in your profile.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!

People pay $300 a night and $100 a day to trek there its world heritage listed. Dont know what you are missing my friend. and $18 an hour to wash dishes is not too bad.

Yeah, Western Australia wasn't all that spectacular.  But the job picked up the tab.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How hard is it to get a Visa? I don't even have a passport, but I would love to go there. Any restrictions? Can you describe the job duties, local, employer, etc?
My interest is piqued.

Wash dishes 10.30am -2pm. Go swimming or fishing. Wash dishes 5.30 -9.30pm. 4 days off do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!

Yeah, Western Australia wasn't all that spectacular.  But the job picked up the tab.

WA is a dust bowl. Tasmania is a jewel
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My interest is piqued.

Get a passport then go to aussie consulate/embassy and get visa. Very simple. Cost is cheap maybe $100 or so?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My interest is piqued.

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/index.htm

That looks like the one you want. You'll need a HS diploma, a return airline ticket and proof that you have $5,000 in the bank, a clean criminal record, US Passport, that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#24]
i'm definitely interested.. i'd need a passport, g/f would probably need to renew hers? otherwise i know some people from Brisbane, looks like its quite a distance from Tasmania, but if you offer time off and some benefits, this job would easily top my current job and i'd get rehired when i get back. i'll be the judge of the hiking thing, i love hiking the shores of the Great Lakes in mainland USA, but the lure of other travel sounds great.

i will PM for more info.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to Australia for a week in mid-August, my first trip down under.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My interest is piqued.

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/index.htm

That looks like the one you want. You'll need a HS diploma, a return airline ticket and proof that you have $5,000 in the bank, a clean criminal record, US Passport, that's about it.

If they dont have $5000 in the bank a letter of employment will be enough. Plus most people just borrow $5000 and then give it back to the person when they get here
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By  :

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

More power to ya!

In $US or $AU
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By  :

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

More power to ya!

In $US or $AU

$AU.

A busdriver makes average $850 per week or around 400 quid british. So 500 quid a week is just above average before tax.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Tassie isnt really part of Australia

Its kinda like in Deliverance...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Im a mainlander only been here a little while but love it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I believe the work travel visa limits you to working for the same employer for only 3 months.

You may want to look into this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#32]

While in Australia on a Work and Holiday visa, you must not be employed with any one employer for more than 6 months.

The 'employer' is the business for which you are working directly.

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months.

You are allowed to work with each employer for up to six months and cannot work for longer than six months in the same position, in the same location, doing the same work. The six month work limitation applies to full-time, part-time, casual or shift work.

You cannot stay in the same job beyond six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

More information is available on finding work, licensing or registering arrangements and employer obligations.

www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/obligations.htm#c
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I believe the work travel visa limits you to working for the same employer for only 3 months.

No thats not true.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:26:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

6 months.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 months.

Wouldnt matter anyway i know the next biggest employers and they could work the entire 12 months if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
4 days off do whatever you want.

Got you beat.  I work 5 days-on / 5 days-off (12 hour days).  Work in a data center in IT support and the pay is pretty good too.  The shift work is tough, fair amount of stress and there is a lot of work to do.  Pretty pooped by the time the shift is done.  

But there is plenty of upside I suppose.  I'll soon get 4 weeks of vacation, and have 8 holidays (to use as vacation), and 1 personal day.  What's nice is I only have to tack on 2 days of vacation to an off shift and then I'm off for a week.  Sweet.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Too much gun control and way too big of a pay cut (less than 1/2 my normal pay).

But, If it weren't for the gun control I would consider it to see Austrailia. Plus I'm around 40.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 months.

I stand corrected. Alwyas thought it was 3, but it's been a while since I had one of those Visas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got you beat.  I work 5 days-on / 5 days-off (12 hour days).  Work in a data center in IT support and the pay is pretty good too.  The shift work is tough, fair amount of stress and there is a lot of work to do.  Pretty pooped by the time the shift is done.  

But there is plenty of upside I suppose.  I'll soon get 4 weeks of vacation, and have 8 holidays (to use as vacation), and 1 personal day.  What's nice is I only have to tack on 2 days of vacation to an off shift and then I'm off for a week.  Sweet.  

Oh FFS! I couldnt give a fuck if you were the president of the USA this is just for someone who wants to earn a few bob and see another country not as a fucking career move.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Remember the uproar when Taz was left off the map at the Commonwealth Games several years ago?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh FFS! I couldnt give a fuck if you were the president of the USA this is just for someone who wants to earn a few bob and see another country not as a fucking career move.

.  Don't have to get hostile...MATE!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.  Don't have to get hostile...MATE!

Open a thread on how good you are if thats what you are interested in pal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I am married and almost 40 so it doesn't matter to me but out of the 30 odd people living there are any of them single attractive women? Maybe you can sweeten the pot a bit.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Some of the young people here should take you up on this, you learn alot by traveling in foreign countries. I know I did. I am too old and too married to do this.

I would love to come visit that part of the world.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am married and almost 40 so it doesn't matter to me but out of the 30 odd people living there are any of them single attractive women? Maybe you can sweeten the pot a bit.

The place is wall to wall backpackers and tourists in season and they shag like rabbits

The locals you never see them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Net $860 per fortnight

More power to ya!

$860 take home a week is considered a lot there?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Must be some balls out dishwashing if they only want 31 and under!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You cant get a working holiday visa if you are older than 31
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that sucks.  What kind of silly law is that?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that sucks.  What kind of silly law is that?

How many visas do you give people who are non-skilled tourists of any age? Your visa laws are at least more restrictive than this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top