Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 9:08:36 PM EDT
and I wasn't driving, could the person who was driving admit to it and pay the ticket and not have it on my record?

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
and I wasn't driving, could the person who was driving admit to it and pay the ticket and not have it on my record?

Anyone know?
I thought they had to prove you were driving
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Thought it didn't go on your record in State of TX, thought it was a civil matter between the 'city' and you (and I use city loosely, due to them off loading that responsibility to that shitty ass little shack over off Davis Blvd.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
In GA I know that is the case. But here it is just a $75 ticket and not sent to insurance or any points on a license. So if it is the same for you, just get the money from the driver.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My friend was nice enough to admit and pay it
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Thought it didn't go on your record in State of TX, thought it was a civil matter between the 'city' and you (and I use city loosely, due to them off loading that responsibility to that shitty ass little shack over off Davis Blvd.)

This was in North Richland Hills apparently.  Where are you from?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I think in California they will try to bully you into identifying the driver but if you actually go before a judge your only obligation is to say whether that is you in the photo. I hear most of the time in my area they will not even send a ticket unless the face matches the DMV picture.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In GA I know that is the case. But here it is just a $75 ticket and not sent to insurance or any points on a license. So if it is the same for you, just get the money from the driver.

That's correct, most places don't make it a moving violation, so no insurance points. It's just a way to make money. I think my dad's was about $75. Funny thing is he got the only Maryland "DAVE" personalized plate so the picture clearly showed that "DAVE" ran the red light.  haha
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Same town as you
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm kind of curious about this.  Maybe I'll put on my Darth Vader mask and run a red light to see what happens.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know?

I thought they had to prove you were driving

Don't know how it is in Texas but, they don't in NYC.

Red light cameras here don't even take a picture of your face.

Unless someone else admits to it, the fine is yours.

(No points on your license though.)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe in Texas it goes to the owner of the vehicle.No matter who was driving.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I like driving in other states where they only photograph the front of your car and you only have a tag on the back
Not to say I run red lights regularly but its like a personal victory for me when I see that flash.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Red light cameras are 1984 bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about Texas, but it depends on the state.

In Az, if it isn't you, you can just say so.  They ask you to ID the driver, but they can't do anything if you don't.  

But they're trying to change that.  Eliminate the points and make it just a fine, and make the owner, not the driver, responsible.  Revenue grab, IMHO.

We've eliminated the points here in AZ while we deploy a couple hundred new cameras statewide on the freeway.  The Governor has openly stated that this is to increase the states revenue.

I imagine that the owner will soon be responsible for the tickets, not the driver, if that hasn't already happened.

For the record: I am not worried about me getting caught on those.  I don't speed significantly, so it isn't an issue.  I DO worry about my wife contributing quite a bit of money to the state coffers.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Same town as you

Yeah, this was apparently over on Rufe Snow someplace.

The funny thing is, I ran a red light in the same city about two months ago and just *knew* I got caught by one of the red light cameras.  Then the ticket never showed up and I even called to double check.  Nothing.  So Saturday I get a ticket in the mail from that city.  I couldn't believe it.  Until I turned it over and it was my mom driving my car.  

Anyway, it's my mom so I'll blow it off and pay the ticket.  But I was just curious how it worked.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about TX, but around here all you have to do is say "It wasn't me driving".  You don't have to say anything else.  If they can't prove it was you, they drop the charge.

I always cover my face and step on the gas when I go through one of those intersections.  

Quoted:
I think in California they will try to bully you into identifying the driver...

I've never heard of that happening here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't know about TX, but around here all you have to do is say "It wasn't me driving".  You don't have to say anything else.  If they can't prove it was you, they drop the charge.

They make it pretty clear on the ticket I received that it doesn't matter if you were driving, it's your ticket.  You have to prove the car or plated were stolen, sold, or being test driven or rented.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They make it pretty clear on the ticket I received that it doesn't matter if you were driving, it's your ticket.  You have to prove the car or plated were stolen, sold, or being test driven or rented.

Umm, I wonder how they get around the whole "burden of proof" thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a ticket, it's a bill. The company that issued the bill may insist that you have to prove that the car or plates were stolen, sold, or being test driven or rented, but you don't have to prove it to the State.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
automated revenue generating device
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typically by not hitting you for 'points' against your license.  It becomes a civil, not a criminal, matter, so the standard of proof goes way down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typically by not hitting you for 'points' against your license.  It becomes a civil, not a criminal, matter, so the standard of proof goes way down.

And if you just didn't pay it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#23]
here they have to have two timestamped pictures. One of the driver and one of the car/license plate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
here they have to have two timestamped pictures. One of the driver and one of the car/license plate.

I went to their website and they have a video of the car running the red light.  But nothing that would show the driver.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if you just didn't pay it?

Then they try to ding your credit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Funny question, would a real Texan ever buddy-fuck a buddy like that?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know?

Funny question, would a real Texan ever buddy-fuck a buddy like that?

you obviously haven't read the thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, this is a total revenue generator.  The texas house actually changed the law so it is still a criminal (points on license) violation if you get caught by a cop, but it's a civil violation if you get caught by a camera.  That way they don't have to prove who the driver is, they can just get their toll and move on to the next citizen.
But it's all for "your own safety".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top