Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:46 PM EDT
I have a friend who has MS and it is eating his brain away and he is not making the smartest of decisions, he recently had a ar15, tac vest and 20 fully loaded 30 round mags stolen out of his unlocked car in the GHETTO. Now the IDIOT is making decisions on not buying his medication to get another rifle, vest and etc...

How can I do this for his own good?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
People are free to make their own stupid decisions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
some people
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't be a friend anymore.

Since he's not a friend then you don't have to worry about getting a friend unable to buy a firearm.

Walla!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
People are free to make their own stupid decisions.

I think the OP is worried about his friend doing something Virginia Tech'ish.

I'm nt sure how to help the OP though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Deleted.  My bad. I read the post fast and misunderstood the question.  Sorry.   TT
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a friend who has MS and it is eating his brain away and he is not making the smartest of decisions, he recently had a ar15, tac vest and 20 fully loaded 30 round mags stolen out of his unlocked car in the GHETTO. Now the IDIOT is making decisions on not buying his medication to get another rifle, vest and etc...

If he has a medical condition that is honestly leading to impaired judgment or similar issues, you probably can have him committed for a mental evaluation.  Not all of a psych ward's patients are because of psychological issues.  Behavioral and mental problems can be neurological as well, and it sounds like he's starting to manifest some.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to mention he is babbling out stupid ideas on enacting revenge on "them", I am being a friend to him by doing this so he can not arm another mouth breather.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
i think the OP is trying to find out how to get his friend flagged on an NCIS check as mentally unable to purchase a firearm, not how to get him another gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Might want to get a new friend.  There is nothing good that you can do here.  Ratting this guy out is just what the anti's want you to do.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Eject!!! Kill with fire!!! Its for the children!!!!1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i think the OP is trying to find out how to get his friend flagged on an NCIS check as mentally unable to purchase a firearm, not how to get him another gun.
FUCKING BINGO!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
For the ignorant people here;

MS = Multiple sclerosis

Multiple sclerosis (abbreviated MS, also known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata) is an autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks the central nervous system (CNS), leading to demyelination. It may cause numerous physical and mental symptoms, and often progresses to physical and cognitive disability.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are THAT worried about it, then contact your local Sheriffs Office. You might wait a week or so and see if he chills out. You wouldnt what to screw him for the rest of his probably short life just because he is pissed about getting shit stolen from him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Does this happen to all your friends?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
So, he was ready to rock and roll when some punk stole his gear?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Might want to get a new friend.  There is nothing good that you can do here.  Ratting this guy out is just what the anti's want you to do.  

I disagree, the antis would love another crazed gunman on a rampage so they can use it to their advantage.  After a win like the Heller case and some momentum behind the pro gun movement we really don't need another high profile shooting.

Get the guy flagged for his own good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You may be able to purchase it and gift it to him. Seek real legal advice before doing this.   TT

You have GOTTA be kidding........why would one even entertain the idea of buying a firearm for someone that seems to be acting unstable and has a brain disease? There isn't any legal form that would CYA if something untoward happened.

OP, could you talk to someone in his family who might hold more sway over your friend?

I have a friend with MS but so far it has only [if one can say "only"] affected his mobility, not his mental capacity, I'm not real familiar with the mental loss of MS patients.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My mother has MS. She is taking a whole bunch of good stuff for her. The only thing that mentally happened to her is that she switched from a democrat to a republican.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No, he is ready to rock and roll 24/7 - 365. He has been this way for quite a while. He believes that SHTF will happen any minute. He needs help, there is NO cure for MS and he is on a downward spiral.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
He has MS, that being said show him that he can barely hold a fork and feed himself let alone handle a firearm. Explain to him that he is sick and his sickness is fatal. Tell him to live life and do as much as he can before he expires. Speak the truth, you may hurt his feelings but he needs to hear this from a loyal friend.

What are his symptoms???

Visual Symptoms
Symptom Description
Optic Neuritis Blurred vision, eye pain, loss of colour vision, blindness
Diplopia Double Vision
Nystagmus Jerky Eye Movements
Ocular Dysmetria Constant under- or overshooting eye movements
Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia Lack of coordination between the two eyes, nystagmus, diplopia
Movement and sound phosphenes Flashing lights when moving eyes or in response to a sudden noise
Afferent Pupillary Defect Abnormal pupil responses
Motor Symptoms
Symptom Description
Paresis, Monoparesis, Paraparesis, Hemiparesis, Quadraparesis Muscle weakness - partial or mild paralysis
Plegia, Paraplegia, Hemiplegia, Tetraplegia, Quadraplegia Paralysis - Total or near total loss of muscle strength
Spasticity Loss of muscle tone causing stiffness, pain and restricting free movement of affected limbs
Dysarthria Slurred speech and related speech problems
Muscle Atrophy Wasting of muscles due to lack of use
Spasms, Cramps Involuntary contraction of muscles
Hypotonia, Clonus Problems with posture
Myoclonus, Myokymia Jerking and twitching muscles, Tics
Restless Leg Syndrome Involuntary Leg Movements, especially bothersome at night
Footdrop Foot drags along floor during walking
Dysfunctional Reflexes MSRs, Babinski's, Hoffman's, Chaddock's
Sensory Symptoms
Symptom Description
Paraesthesia Partial numbness, tingling, buzzing and vibration sensations
Anaesthesia Complete numbness/loss of sensation
Neuralgia, Neuropathic and Neurogenic pain Pain without apparent cause, burning, itching and electrical shock sensations
L'Hermitte's Electric shocks and buzzing sensations when moving head
Proprioceptive Dysfunction Loss of awareness of location of body parts
Trigeminal Neuralgia Facial pain
Coordination and Balance Symptoms
Symptom Description
Ataxia Loss of coordination
Intention tremor Shaking when performing fine movements
Dysmetria Constant under- or overshooting limb movements
Vestibular Ataxia Abnormal balance function in the inner ear
Vertigo Nausea/vomitting/sensitivity to travel sickness from vestibular ataxia
Speech Ataxia Problems coordinating speech, stuttering
Dystonia Slow limb position feedback
Dysdiadochokinesia Loss of ability to produce rapidly alternating movements, for example to move to a rhythm
Bowel, Bladder and Sexual Symptoms
Symptom Description
Frequent Micturation, Bladder Spasticity Urinary urgency and incontinence
Flaccid Bladder, Detrusor-Sphincter Dyssynergia Urinary hesitancy and retention
Erectile Dysfunction Male and female impotence
Anorgasmy Inability to achieve orgasm
Retrograde ejaculation Ejaculating into the bladder
Frigidity Inability to become sexually aroused
Constipation Infrequent or irregular bowel movements
Fecal Urgency Bowel urgency
Fecal Incontinence Bowel incontinence
Cognitive Symptoms
Symptom Description
Depression  
Cognitive dysfunction Short-term and long-term memory problems, forgetfulness, slow word recall
Dementia  
Mood swings, emotional lability, euphoria  
Bipolar syndrome  
Anxiety  
Aphasia, Dysphasia Impairments to speech comprehension and production  
Other Symptoms
Symptom Description
Fatigue  
Uhthoff's Symptom Increase in severity of symptoms with heat
Gastroesophageal Reflux Acid reflux
 Impaired sense of taste and smell
 Epileptic seizures
 Swallowing problems
 Respiratory problems
Sleeping Disorders    

Inappropriately cold body parts
 Autonomic nervous system problems  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Vote for Obama
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he is ready to rock and roll 24/7 - 365. He has been this way for quite a while. He believes that SHTF will happen any minute. He needs help, there is NO cure for MS and he is on a downward spiral.

SHTF preps are one thing... going Cho on people is another...

My best friens has MS by the way...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Involuntary Committal is exceedingly easy in NC.  Contact your local government for information on how to have it done in your state.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If he's not taking his meds, his physician should be informed - which also gives you an opportunity to tell the physician about (1.) his change in attitude towards firearms, and (2.) the fact that he would be denied any legal access to firearms if the NICS flags him.

Can you find out who his physician is (perhaps from another member of his family)?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#25]
You called him an idiot in your post.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the MS

Maybe he's just dumb.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
He has MS, that being said show him that he can barely hold a fork and feed himself let alone handle a firearm. Explain to him that he is sick and his sickness is fatal. Tell him to live life and do as much as he can before he expires. Speak the truth, you may hurt his feelings but he needs to hear this from a loyal friend.

What are his symptoms???

Visual Symptoms
Symptom Description
Optic Neuritis Blurred vision, eye pain, loss of colour vision, blindness <--------------
Diplopia Double Vision
Nystagmus Jerky Eye Movements
Ocular Dysmetria Constant under- or overshooting eye movements
Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia Lack of coordination between the two eyes, nystagmus, diplopia
Movement and sound phosphenes Flashing lights when moving eyes or in response to a sudden noise
Afferent Pupillary Defect Abnormal pupil responses
Motor Symptoms
Symptom Description
Paresis, Monoparesis, Paraparesis, Hemiparesis, Quadraparesis Muscle weakness - partial or mild paralysis <--------------
Plegia, Paraplegia, Hemiplegia, Tetraplegia, Quadraplegia Paralysis - Total or near total loss of muscle strength <--------------
Spasticity Loss of muscle tone causing stiffness, pain and restricting free movement of affected limbs
Dysarthria Slurred speech and related speech problems
Muscle Atrophy Wasting of muscles due to lack of use
Spasms, Cramps Involuntary contraction of muscles
Hypotonia, Clonus Problems with posture
Myoclonus, Myokymia Jerking and twitching muscles, Tics
Restless Leg Syndrome Involuntary Leg Movements, especially bothersome at night
Footdrop Foot drags along floor during walking
Dysfunctional Reflexes MSRs, Babinski's, Hoffman's, Chaddock's
Sensory Symptoms
Symptom Description
Paraesthesia Partial numbness, tingling, buzzing and vibration sensations
Anaesthesia Complete numbness/loss of sensation
Neuralgia, Neuropathic and Neurogenic pain Pain without apparent cause, burning, itching and electrical shock sensations
L'Hermitte's Electric shocks and buzzing sensations when moving head
Proprioceptive Dysfunction Loss of awareness of location of body parts
Trigeminal Neuralgia Facial pain
Coordination and Balance Symptoms
Symptom Description
Ataxia Loss of coordination <--------------
Intention tremor Shaking when performing fine movements <--------------
Dysmetria Constant under- or overshooting limb movements
Vestibular Ataxia Abnormal balance function in the inner ear
Vertigo Nausea/vomitting/sensitivity to travel sickness from vestibular ataxia
Speech Ataxia Problems coordinating speech, stuttering
Dystonia Slow limb position feedback
Dysdiadochokinesia Loss of ability to produce rapidly alternating movements, for example to move to a rhythm
Bowel, Bladder and Sexual Symptoms <--------------
Symptom Description
Frequent Micturation, Bladder Spasticity Urinary urgency and incontinence <--------------
Flaccid Bladder, Detrusor-Sphincter Dyssynergia Urinary hesitancy and retention
Erectile Dysfunction Male and female impotence <--------------
Anorgasmy Inability to achieve orgasm
Retrograde ejaculation Ejaculating into the bladder
Frigidity Inability to become sexually aroused
Constipation Infrequent or irregular bowel movements
Fecal Urgency Bowel urgency
Fecal Incontinence Bowel incontinence
Cognitive Symptoms
Symptom Description
Depression   <--------------
Cognitive dysfunction Short-term and long-term memory problems, forgetfulness, slow word recall <--------------
Dementia   <--------------
Mood swings, emotional lability, euphoria   <--------------
Bipolar syndrome   <--------------
Anxiety   <--------------
Aphasia, Dysphasia Impairments to speech comprehension and production  
Other Symptoms
Symptom Description
Fatigue   <--------------
Uhthoff's Symptom Increase in severity of symptoms with heat
Gastroesophageal Reflux Acid reflux
 Impaired sense of taste and smell
 Epileptic seizures <--------------
 Swallowing problems <--------------
 Respiratory problems
Sleeping Disorders    <--------------

Inappropriately cold body parts
 Autonomic nervous system problems  

I put a <-------------- next to his symptoms that I know of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You called him an idiot in your post.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the MS

Maybe he's just dumb.
No, it is the MS eating him up, He was fine 7 years ago when I first me him before he became afflicted with this.

His parents I have tried explaining it to him that he is a 15yr old upstairs and can't accept that fact. So now I post here to get help for him. His parents and I think this is the best course of action.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FUCKING BINGO!!

talk to family of him, talk to the rest of his friends and contact your cities version of Adult Protective Services (falls under social services) they'll advise how to have him mentally evaluated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#29]
you guys who think this is caving to the antis are ridiculous.  this guy's friend has a serious mental problem that makes him INCAPABLE of the level of responsibility required to own a firearm.  the OP is doing the right thing both for his friend and perhaps for unknown other people by trying to keep his friend from possessing weapons.  every sane free man should be armed, but this person is NOT a sane person to the degree that is required to safely own a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Dementia + firearms = fail
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]
petition him for involuntary mental health treatment as a danger to self/others/gravely disabled or file for emergency guardianship

http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/LegalResources/StateLaws/Indianastatute.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Afternoon bump for more info from arfcommers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If you are THAT worried about it, then contact your local Sheriffs Office. You might wait a week or so and see if he chills out. You wouldnt what to screw him for the rest of his probably short life just because he is pissed about getting shit stolen from him.

+1

world will soon be full of people who had a bad day and were turned by friends and relatives as being "dangerous", thus preventing future purchase of fun toys.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

world will soon be full of people who had a bad day and were turned by friends and relatives as being "dangerous", thus preventing future purchase of fun toys.  

you're an idiot.  this guy has a documented mental illness, for which he is actively not taking his medication.  a far cry from someone who has a bad day and acts a bit cranky.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I read the title and the words "Straw Buy" popped into my head.

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Don't do it.

Read the post.  He wants his friend to end up prohibited by NICS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Don't do it.

Next time read the post as well.

His physician needs to be made aware of this.  I went through this with my father, both with guns, and harder yet, his drivers license.  If he's progressed as far as you say he has, he needs to be off the road as well.

However, he's not an idiot.  

He's facing a disease of which he has no hope of curing, no hope of stopping, and he knows, I'm sure much better than you, that his life as he knows it is slipping away from him.  He's becoming debilitated in both mind and body, and having trouble coping with it.  He needs a neurologist.  He needs his meds.  Most of all he needs supportive friends and family helping him make realistic life decisions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he's not taking his meds, his physician should be informed - which also gives you an opportunity to tell the physician about (1.) his change in attitude towards firearms, and (2.) the fact that he would be denied any legal access to firearms if the NICS flags him.

Can you find out who his physician is (perhaps from another member of his family)?

Probably the best advice here.

I'd only add that you inform his parents of your actions.  If they're seeing eye to eye with you on this, they can be of help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I forgot to mention he is babbling out stupid ideas on enacting revenge on "them", I am being a friend to him by doing this so he can not arm another mouth breather.

A post like this will lead to another VA Tech copycat arrest.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346292,00.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife has severe MS so it really pains me to say this, but if what you are saying is true; you need to talk to his neurologist about it.  If you don't know who his neurologist is, ask your own physician to find out and have him contact you.

Once you have spoken with his doctor, let him/her make the decision on what actions to take.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Don't do it.

Sigh.

Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I am just listing the shit he tells me. He complains about it. Friends listen, thats what we are for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It sounds like he needs a mental evaluation, you need to be talking to local law enforcement, the procedures vary from state to state, but if he presents to be a danger to himself or others, he needs professional help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
If the parents are on board then you need to get them to contact soical services for a 72 hour hold
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If the parents are on board then you need to get them to contact soical services for a 72 hour hold
I think gettin him flagged on a NICS would be the best route.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Then his neurologist needs talking to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm just surprised you haven't been flamed for even suggesting that a mentally incompetent person be barred from owning a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#50]
a NICS flag only stops gun shop purchases. It is a good start, but not enough. He probably needs to be involuntarily committed. You've been given the tools to make this happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top