Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:25 PM EDT
I keep seeing it and can't decipher it's meaning.  What are it?

Also- is there a link  for all the abreviations?

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
For The Win
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
or f@@k the world!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck The Win?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sly

link
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
For The Win around here, but can also mean Fuck The World.

For The Win came about on the 1970s(redone in the 90s/00s) game show "Hollywood Squares", where contestants about to make a possible winning move would say "For The Win" while announcing the name of the celebrity in the block they wanted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
*Sigh*
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fuck The World

although that was one of its meanings, but For The Win came about on the 1970s(redone in the 90s/00s) game show "Hollywood Squares", where contestants about to make a possible winning move would say "For The Win" while announcing the name of the celebrity in the block they wanted.

Oh... I thought it came from wow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
edit: double tap it seems
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
............ but can also mean Fuck The World.

Yeah........F.T.W. was a popular logo with bikers and gangs. You used to see alot of patches and tats with it on em, and incorporated into alot of the gangs colors on jacket backs.

Not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck the whore!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Fondle the whales.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Fondle the whales.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck the whales.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Felch the Warbler
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Fhat The Wuck

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Fight the Woodchucks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fhat The Wuck

~BakerMike

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Dick snatching witch doctors also use as "for the wiener".

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Fart to win.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't know I could make up my own interpretation.

I'll go with "Fiddle The Wick" for $200 Alex!

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

link

You're funny. I guess I'll stop rating ARFcom above google.

Sly

ETA:  That might make troubleshooting my ARs and other assorted EBRs all the faster?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
An acronym that showed up here about the same time that this ceased to be solely a hang out for shooters, and more and more a hangout for internet hobbiests first and foremost.  Recently, the latter group has come to dominate GD.

I asked the same question about a year ago.

The responses are telling.

The polite, pithy answers are usually from the shooters.

The "you are so out of touch" responses come from the kids who know more about HTML commands than range commands.

Interestingly, the same people who quickly adopt such internet things, are often the first to mock similar catchphrases in other parts of society.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Fix The Words

grammar nazi????
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
FTWFTW.

For the world, for the win!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
An acronym that showed up here about the same time that this ceased to be solely a hang out for shooters, and more and more a hangout for internet hobbiest first and foremost.  recently,. the latter group has come to dominate GD.

The "you are so out of touch" responses come from the kids who know more about HTML commands than range commands.

Interestingly, the same people who quickly adopt such internet things, are often the first to mock similar catchphrases in other parts of society.

Mostly we do it because it annoys the crotchety old guys with sand in certain places of their anatomy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An acronym that showed up here about the same time that this ceased to be solely a hang out for shooters, and more and more a hangout for internet hobbiest first and foremost.  recently,. the latter group has come to dominate GD.

Mostly we do it because it annoys the crotchety old guys with sand in certain places of their anatomy.

Way to prove a point, Tex.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way to prove a point, Tex.

ETA: My 1st post was meant to be light hearted, y'all need to lighten up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Fat Titty Whirling
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

link

Sly

ETA:  That might make troubleshooting my ARs and other assorted EBRs all the faster?

Not meant to be funny.  It's a resource.  Open it.  Type in "ftw".  The very first result is the answer.  Wild shit this computer magic.  I use it whenever I run across an acronym I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A fairly large collection of acronyms and abbreviations can be found here.  It contains mostly technical terms relating to the AR-15 platform.  If you don't find a term already listed, you can post in the thread and ask.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay, I'm a little behind too.  WTF is "Fuck it I'm FOING"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck the world.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Oh crap, here toy go again!

(IIRC, it was something some drunk or crazy poster said a while back.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

link

Sly

Not meant to be funny.  It's a resource.  Open it.  Type in "ftw".  The very first result is the answer.  Wild shit this computer magic.  I use it whenever I run across an acronym I don't know.

Alright, I admit.  Google is your friend.

Surprisingly though, I think this thread has received the most responses of any other that I've ever posted.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Thank you sir.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, that one was definitley orignated here.

I think the thread title was actually "here toy go."
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, that one was definitley orignated here.

I think the thread title was actually "here toy go."

Wasn't that also the 'Fix bayonets forward!' thread? Or at least, the same poster?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#38]
"Fuck It I'm Foing" came from a thread about a poster who posted that he was invited to an orgy(no joke) and his last post in the thread after much discussion and epic-ness was "fuck it I'm foing".

That was the last we ever heard from him.

updated link
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
"Fuck It I'm Foing" came from a thread about a poster who posted that he was invited to an orgy(no joke) and his last post in the thread after much discussion and epic-ness was "fuck it I'm foing".

Link

Ahh - so the "here toy go" thread was different - it was much older.  Thanks for the update.

I wonder if anyone knew him in person?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Ahh - so the "here toy go" thread was different - it was much older.  Thanks for the update.

I wonder if anyone knew him in person?

Yup-totally different.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the links Deej86.  I had a pretty good idea of how the "here toy go" & "fuck it I'm foing" came about but had no idea of the epicness. (At least on the latter.  The "HTG" thread was archived so I just had access to the original topic w/o the discussion)

Sly
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#42]
yeah to access the full archives you have to be a team member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top