Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:10:53 PM EDT
     First thing is that I'm not a dirty hippie. My mother in law and cousins wife both got cancer last summer and went bald from the chemo. I usually sport a short high and tight haircut. I told them that I would grow my hair for the locks of love foundation. They make wigs for children suffering from cancer out of donated hair. It takes a 10 inch pony tail to make a donation. I'm better than half way there. It's a huge pain to be honest. I was planning on cutting it November after deer season if it's long enough. Not having to get a haircut has been liberating though.

So...any long haired arfcommers besides me out there??

Also both ladies in question are now cancer free.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have really long thick hair. It increased my height by 3 inches. After i got a buzz cut i lost a pound, and this was a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
     First thing is that I'm not a dirty hippie. My mother in law and cousins wife both got cancer last summer and went bald from the chemo. I usually sport a short high and tight haircut. I told them that I would grow my hair for the locks of love foundation. They make wigs for children suffering from cancer out of donated hair. It takes a 10 inch pony tail to make a donation. I'm better than half way there. It's a huge pain to be honest. I was planning on cutting it November after deer season if it's long enough. Not having to get a haircut has been liberating though.

I was going to call you a dirty hippie for the long hair, but I must say you're doing a damn fine thing donating to Locks of Love. Making a difference in a cancer patient's life is a very honorable thing. I wish your mother in law and cousin's wife the best!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I went about ten years without a hair cut after I got out of the Nav, looked like "Cousin It". Got tired of it one day and went a got it all cut off at the same time and donated it to St. Judes Children's Hospital (childrens cancer wing).

Been wearing it short ever since (easily within active duty specs).
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had long hair since my late teens, I'm 24 now. I've been slowly cutting it shorter and shorter lately as I'm tired of it. Its mostly just longish and near my shoulders now.

BTW, they throw away most of the hair that is donated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
After I graduated high school (04) I didn't get a haircut for 2.5 years. I always had really short hair, but for no reason, I just didn't get a haircut for a while. I donated it when I cut it, but I've only had two more haircuts since then. My last haircut was in December.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I cant do shit with my hair and if I let it get too long, it looks like crap as it's virtualy unmanageable (whats left)

if you can grow your hair long, enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I no have hair.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My 2 daughters donate their hair to Locks of Love!  Good for you!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Had long hair a couple weeks ago, I grew out 19" of pony tail to donate for kids suffering from alopecia/chemo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would like to be able to do that but with my hair its impossible.  But my hair just grows taller and not long. So I get a huge afro with 4 inch long hair

ETA: My type of hair

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I no have hair.

I LOLed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't cut my hair since...February of 2007. It's passed my shoulders now, but I desperately need to get some of it trimmed off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had cancer twice.  During radiation therapy, the back of my head was radiated.  Radiation therapy kills fast growing cells not just cancer cells.  Want to guess which other cells got killed?  Yep, you guessed it.. hair cells.  Now, the top and front of my head were not in the radiation fields.  So, those hair cells didn't get killed.  I was real self conscious about the back of my head being bald.  However, when I was in the Army, there wasn't much I could do about it.  I'm not in any more (medically retired).  I let it grow out; and. pull it back in a pony tail.  It's hard to tell there is little or no hair on the back with it pulled back that way.  Sure, I get a few funny looks on base wearing it like that.  Do I care?  Not particularly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I had long hair in high school. I buzzed it all off after school, when I started working construction. 4.5 years ago I stopped cutting it, and now it is down to my waist. I'm not a dirty hippie, I'm a long haired redneck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I had long hair from my teens till my late twenties when it became apparent I was going bald.
I now have a buzz cut, and man it is so much easier, even if I had the hair to grow, I wouldn't.
You are doing it for the right reason though, more power to you!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, I couldn't imagine having long hair during this time if the year.

I've NEVER had long hair.

I used to sport a high and tight until my brother went to the PA State Police academy and saw how well a shaved head looked with our genetics. In February, I started shaving my head with clippers and haven't visited the barber since.

Sometimes I feel bad for my barber; I used to visit him once every 10 days. Since then I've missed an estimated 15 haircuts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had shoulder length 25 years or so. Your hair, your call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top