Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:03:29 PM EDT
I have a couple of tests this week at school so I went to the local coffee shop to study with a friend. When I'm wearing a white t-shirt that doesn't hide my CCW very well so I had my pistol in my school bag. Upon arriving home, I opened the door to my car and heard someone yelling and kicking  in someone door. I don't know WTF he was screaming about but he was VERY irate and irrational threatening to kill the "bitch" inside the apartment below me. I pulled my CCW from my bag and put it on my belt and made the decision that as long as he didn't get between me and the apartment, or I made visual contact that he was in fact going to kill said "bitch" I was not going to get involved, opting to instead be a good witness.

I came into my apartment and called the police, then went back outside to try to somewhat keep tabs on what was going on. I heard her open the door and proceed to get punched in the face more than once. I stuck to my principles and what I was taught in class and decided not to draw down or get involved in any way. I watched him leave when he heard the sirens. Watched closely where he went and as soon as the police showed up, pointed to where he was, yelled a description of the perp to the officer. He drew his weapon and proceeded in the direction I pointed. I stood on the second floor for a minute to see what happened when the girl came out of her apartment. I gave her a hug and asked if she needed an ambulance and held her for a while as she was extremely shaken up. The officers eventually came back without said perp and I told him my apartment number, that I had witnessed most of the altercation and if he needed to speak to me I would be available.

It's been 10 minutes and I can hear her telling the officers what happened and have yet to make anymore contact with the officers. She had an unidentified male in the apartment with her that stood by while she got punched. What a fucking douchenozzle.

Update.

Quoted:
As much as I hate to say it, I think you did the right thing.  That is a very dangerous situation to get into.  Next thing you know dude charges you, you shoot, then chick takes his side, and you are in the pokey.

Exactly. I am a married full time engineering student with more than enough on my plate right now and a very limited income. I could have risked my entire future to save this girl a black eye. Months and months of legal troubles and possibly, if she sided with him, maybe a little jail time. But hey when its just some story on the internets, it's pretty fucking easy to say what you would have done.

Quoted:
Also, I am guessing other guy in the apartment knew the guy and girl.  I do slight him for not getting involved if he knew the couple.  Just like if you were in the apartment and a friend of yours starts banging on his girlfriend.  Changes the circumstances a little.  No, not a draw down situation, but try to break it up.  

Exactly. He had the moral obligation to stop her from getting hit. He is either a friend or a significant other and should haver taken the responsibility to stop the thug from beating on someone he knows and supposedly cares about. I am, OTOH, not obligated to step in for all of them and risk my future to save a complete starnger a slap, as stated above, she may or may not have "deserved."

Had he had a weapon or stated he was on his way to acquire one, I then would have stepped in. Personally, I am happy with the way I handled the situation. I made a clear decision based on what I have been taught and stuck to it. I was not fearful nor did I get too worked up to follow through with my intentions. Had I needed to, I feel confident I would have done what needed to be done without hesitation. I stayed at a distance with the situation in my sights and, as much as it bothered me to see her get hit, the fact is that it was not "great bodily harm." The way it worked out, he is in jail, she is at home, and I am not sitting in a fucking interrogation room with my life in the hands of some bullshit legal system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a couple of tests this week at school so I went to the local coffee shop to study with a friend. When I'm wearing a white t-shirt that doesn't hide my CCW very well so I had my pistol in my school bag. Upon arriving home, I opened the door to my car and heard someone yelling and kicking  in someone door. I don't know WTF he was screaming about but he was VERY irate and irrational threatening to kill the "bitch" inside the apartment below me. I pulled my CCW from my bag and put it on my belt and made the decision that as long as he didn't get between me and the apartment, or I made visual contact that he was in fact going to kill said "bitch" I was not going to get involved, opting to instead be a good witness.

I came into my apartment and called the police, then went back outside to try to somewhat keep tabs on what was going on. I heard her open the door and proceed to get punched in the face more than once. I stuck to my principles and what I was taught in class and decided not to draw down or get involved in any way. I watched him leave when he heard the sirens. Watched closely where he went and as soon as the police showed up, pointed to where he was, yelled a description of the perp to the officer. He drew his weapon and proceeded in the direction I pointed. I stood on the second floor for a minute to see what happened when the girl came out of her apartment. I gave her a hug and asked if she needed an ambulance and held her for a while as she was extremely shaken up. The officers eventually came back without said perp and I told him my apartment number, that I had witnessed most of the altercation and if he needed to speak to me I would be available.

It's been 10 minutes and I can hear her telling the officers what happened and have yet to make anymore contact with the officers. She had an unidentified male in the apartment with her that stood by while she got punched. What a fucking douchenozzle.
uh if hes a douchenozzle doesnt that make you one also
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You knew her well enough to hug her, but didn't intervene?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not my problem. I hated to hear what happened, but legally, had he charged me, I could have ended up in a world of shit to save her a black eye. She has no relation to me and I have no expectations of intervening in her domestic dispute. I ASSURE you had he punched my wife, he would have been much easier to find.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sorry buddy, does not compute.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have never seen her before, but I have empathy for a fellow human regardless of level of friendship.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my problem. I hated to hear what happened, but legally, had he charged me, I could have ended up in a world of shit to save her a black eye. She has no relation to me and I have no expectations of intervening in her domestic dispute. I ASSURE you had he punched my wife, he would have been much easier to find.
True but ou stood by rather then intervening and then make fun of the other guy . But I cant blame ya

ETA: The huge was less about epathy and more about trying to get some pie later on . Plus he is having a pie shortage at the moment
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never taken a CCW class I take it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never seen her before, but I have empathy for a fellow human regardless of level of friendship.

Let me rephrase it:  You knew each other well enough for her to allow you, an unknown male, to hug her?

But you answered my question anyways.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
they say discretion is the better part of valor.

You DID cop a feel o that ass right? Womernz likes that....
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 at least pistol whip the motherfucker.

ETA: read the rest of the posts. I guess that makes me the asshole
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not required here.  I wasn't necessarily criticizing you for not helping, but for making fun of the dude that did basically the same thing you did.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
That's some crazy shit.  It reminds me of when I used to live in a studio apartment that had ZERO sound proofing between units.  I remember hearing my neighbor having some serious hardcore S&M sex.  You could hear what sounded like punching, crying, choking, shit hitting the walls, him screaming at her, her shrieking in pain.  It used to upset me sometimes and I would load up my shotgun and ponder calling the cops, or kicking in their door.  But literally minutes later they would walk out of their apt. holding hands and kissing acting if there was nothing wrong whatsoever.

It was a real moral dilemma.  Sometimes I wonder if I had been wrong, and he really was killing his girl, was a puss for not calling the cops?  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
good...non-shoot

There's a difference between a random stranger carrying a gun not wanting to get involved in a fight and standing by while someone (cuckold husband?)  beats the shit out of your friend, wife, or lover.

Guy in the apartment was in fact a douche nozzle unless he was some random vacuum salesmen that knew as little about the situation as the OP.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not required here.  I wasn't necessarily criticizing you for not helping, but for making fun of the dude that did basically the same thing you did.

Dont know if I would have gotten involved or not, but you really have no leg to stand on calling the other guy a douchenozzle when you just stood by yourself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
sorry... if one of my good friends or neighbors were in trouble like that.. there would be a bloody cockbag on the ground with a knee in his back waiting for the cops.  and btw... pot...kettle... black...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
if you drew down on him, odds are he would have stopped. if he went for you instead and tried to take your gun, you know what to do. you had two witnesses, one was already beaten by the guy, demonstrating what kind of a peice of shit this guy is. the other person was so shaken by the violence of the situation, they didn't even move. if this guy would have tried to go after you, it would have been a good shoot. when it comes down to it, this guy saw no consequence to what he did. he's most likely inclined to do it again, if not to this same woman, then to another.

it's easy to monday morning quarterback it on things, to be an internet commando and say you would have bladed on a 45, disengaged, and plugged his COM with .45 HST's, because john moses browning said so. at the end of the day, you're not in jail right now. but it may not be over for this woman. listen intently on whats going on in the room below you, if you hear that he's come back trying to finish buisness, draw down. he'll desist, now the police have their suspect, and she has grounds for a restraining order. if he tries to take you, so be it.

on another note... might as well teach her a bit about the second amendment, it sounds like she could use protection.  regardless of what happened/didn't happen, you will not always be there to protect her, you should teach her how to defend herself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah what kind of guy would sit there and watch a woman get punched right in front of him.....?

Oh wait.......
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True but ou stood by rather then intervening and then make fun of the other guy . But I cant blame ya

ETA: The huge was less about epathy and more about trying to get some pie later on . Plus he is having a pie shortage at the moment

I am less than interested in a 250lb black female or the drama that apparently follows her around. I live in the ghetto and am no stranger to yelling screaming and general asshattery that comes with the culture I live around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i regardless of what happened/didn't happen, you will not always be there to protect her, you should teach her how to defend herself.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Queue all the internet tough guy monday morning quarterbacks...

With the metric shit ton of ways you can lose your CCW around where I live, I would have done the same thing, called the cops and make sure nothing life-threatening happens.

CCW =/= off duty cop

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am less than interested in a 250lb black female or the drama that apparently follows her around. I live in the ghetto and am no stranger to yelling screaming and general asshattery that comes with the culture I live around.
oh in that case carry on. I was under the impression it was quallity pie
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah what kind of guy would sit there and watch a woman get punched right in front of him.....?

Oh wait.......

You can attempt to draw that conclusion that I should have got involved while her significant other stood by, but I fail to do the same. He's a fucking douche nozzle for watching someone he is intimately involved with and I am a non-douche-nozzle for opting to be a good witness in a situation that doesn't involve me intimately or legally.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
if you drew down on him, odds are he would have stopped. if he went for you instead and tried to take your gun, you know what to do. you had two witnesses, one was already beaten by the guy, demonstrating what kind of a peice of shit this guy is. the other person was so shaken by the violence of the situation, they didn't even move. if this guy would have tried to go after you, it would have been a good shoot. when it comes down to it, this guy saw no consequence to what he did. he's most likely inclined to do it again, if not to this same woman, then to another.

it's easy to monday morning quarterback it on things, to be an internet commando and say you would have bladed on a 45, disengaged, and plugged his COM with .45 HST's, because john moses browning said so. at the end of the day, you're not in jail right now. but it may not be over for this woman. listen intently on whats going on in the room below you, if you hear that he's come back trying to finish buisness, draw down. he'll desist, now the police have their suspect, and she has grounds for a restraining order. if he tries to take you, so be it.

on another note... might as well teach her a bit about the second amendment, it sounds like she could use protection.  regardless of what happened/didn't happen, you will not always be there to protect her, you should teach her how to defend herself.

Quoted:
Queue all the internet tough guy monday morning quarterbacks...

With the metric shit ton of ways you can lose your CCW around where I live, I would have done the same thing, called the cops and make sure nothing life-threatening happens.

CCW =/= off duty cop

Finally some common sense. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I think op did the right thing. But its so much fun to mess with ya

Oh mspaint or pics or it didnt happen

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My hands are shaking to bad to draw.

Now I understand what a MASSIVE ADRENALINE DUMP!!11@@
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#27]
now thinkin about it dude, if she's not interested in a gun, she should get a can of bear mace. if it'll deter a bear at 25 yards, it'll REALLY mess up a thug at 5ft. i'll guarantee it'd take the fight out of him!  at that distance the OC will lodge under his skin.  think of it as +P+ pepper spray.  btw.... what were you carrying?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My hands are shaking to bad to draw.

Now I understand what a MASSIVE ADRENALINE DUMP!!11@@

Maybe that's what happened to the guy you ran to the internet to Sunday evening quarterback!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, I agree with you here.

If 'society" doesn't want people to stand off to the side on stuff like this, then "society" needs to stop promulgating an environment in which a Good Samaritan can be arrested, charged, and sued for intervening.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
now thinkin about it dude, if she's not interested in a gun, she should get a can of bear mace. if it'll deter a bear at 25 yards, it'll REALLY mess up a thug at 5ft. i'll guarantee it'd take the fight out of him!  at that distance the OC will lodge under his skin.  think of it as +P+ pepper spray.  btw.... what were you carrying?

XD-40 w/ 180gr Hydra-Shoks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
good...non-shoot

There's a difference between a random stranger carrying a gun not wanting to get involved in a fight and standing by while someone (cuckold husband?)  beats the shit out of your friend, wife, or lover.

Guy in the apartment was in fact a douche nozzle unless he was some random vacuum salesmen that knew as little about the situation as the OP.

Not that I condone hitting a woman under any circumstances, but maybe the "douchnozzle" was the reason she was getting the beatdown.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
As much as I hate to say it, I think you did the right thing.  That is a very dangerous situation to get into.  Next thing you know dude charges you, you shoot, then chick takes his side, and you are in the pokey.

Also, I am guessing other guy in the apartment knew the guy and girl.  I do slight him for not getting involved if he knew the couple.  Just like if you were in the apartment and a friend of yours starts banging on his girlfriend.  Changes the circumstances a little.  No, not a draw down situation, but try to break it up.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Tough situation. Especially when you hear about so many "victims" turning against the person trying to help and protecting the attacker. IMO, calling 911 and the asshat running when he heard sirens was a good ending. Probably a LOT more to the overall story than the OP knows. Many of our laws suck. Unfortunately, personal liability has to play a role in these types of decisions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Exactly. I am a married full time engineering student with more than enough on my plate right now and a very limited income. I could have risked my entire future to save this girl a black eye. Months and months of legal troubles and possibly, if she sided with him, maybe a little jail time. But hey when its just some story on the internets, it's pretty fucking easy to say what you would have done.

Quoted:

Exactly. He had the moral obligation to stop her from getting hit. He is either a friend or a significant other and should haver taken the responsibility to stop the thug from beating on someone he knows and supposedly cares about. I am, OTOH, not obligated to step in for all of them and risk my future to save a complete starnger a slap, as stated above, she may or may not have "deserved."

Had he had a weapon or stated he was on his way to acquire one, I then would have stepped in. Personally, I am happy with the way I handled the situation. I made a clear decision based on what I have been taught and stuck to it. I was not fearful nor did I get too worked up to follow through with my intentions. Had I needed to, I feel confident I would have done what needed to be done without hesitation. I stayed at a distance with the situation in my sights and, as much as it bothered me to see her get hit, the fact is that it was not "great bodily harm." The way it worked out, he is in jail, she is at home, and I am not sitting in a fucking interrogation room with my life in the hands of some bullshit legal system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that shit is shooting time here in FL.  CCW class?.. whats that..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Read the updates...You did good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#37]
You did the right thing.

Who knows what would've happened if you had gotten involved and had to shoot him. She may flip flop from "he's was going to kill me" to "we were just playing" and you're the one who is going to be on the hook. We all know how rational females are in an emotional state; best not to make a life and death decision based of it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#38]
It sucks, but you did the right thing for the right reasons.  Things shouldn't be the way they are, but they are.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I think you did the right thing. Victims of domestic violence sometimes change their story. Unfortunate but true.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Possible epicness here..... IN
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Tough as it was for you, you did the right thing. The situation could have turned out a lot differently had you engaged the guy with a handgun in a fight that basically wasn't yours, add to the fact that her life wasn't in immanent danger. Getting your ass kicked isn't reason in most jurisdiction's to use deadly force.

Things in those situations can go from bad to worse fast, but you used your head and followed your training. Good job.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#42]
You made a good decision.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Good Job OP, A few asshats in this thread, but overall you did a good job.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Good Job OP, A few asshats in this thread, but overall you did a good job.

I suspected no less from GD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Panther called me after and explained the incident, he missed the action pistol match today and judging from past performance on the bowling pins and steel poppers, I don't think shooting (at) the goon would have made a difference

J/K, good NO-shoot Panther!

Lloyd1911
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the OP did a fine job.

I witnessed a girl who was getting beat on the side of a street. It was her screaming bloody murder for help that drew me to the scene.  After I intervened and the perp fled- I had dispatch on the phone. She didn't want no police involved.  How convenient.

My actions put me @ risk while rendering her aid at her request and what did I get?  I watched the dumb bitch leave with the asshole a few minutes later.

I would only intervene if aid was requested, which can come back to bite you in the ass as I found out above, or if injury was inevitable.  Aside from that: Observe & report.  One can also just yell to the perp that the police have been called and are on their way in hopes he'll split.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Fail.

As stupid as it sounds, bear spray is intended for bears only; says so on the label (at least on mine it does).  That means that according to federal law it can only be used on bears and any other use is a violation of law.

Now, I doubt any local cop would be familiar enough with fed law to make an issue of it.  But it is something to consider:  If you want to carry pepper spray, use versions that are intended for humans.  Using bear spray on humans could leave you open to harrassment by some ambitious prosecutor who wants to teach you a lesson.  Or open to a lawsuit by the choirboy's family.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Panther called me after and explained the incident, he missed the action pistol match today and judging from past performance on the bowling pins and steel poppers, I don't think shooting (at) the goon would have made a difference

J/K, good NO-shoot Panther!

Lloyd1911

BASTAGE!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#49]
You should have thrown a cat on the guy.  The claws would have distracted it, and the cops could get DNA evidence off the feline.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Glad to hear all you did was remain a good witness. Having the woman turn on you is something that happens to law enforcement officers too.  "He's my husband, I love him!" she cries as she jumps on the back of the arresting officer.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top