Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 1:51:28 PM EDT
Thinking about getting the wife a remote starter for her GC. Any insight about mfgs. installation, what to look out for ect. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont know anything about the install, my car already had it, but its a great feature in the winter! Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Up here in Kanada, they're a must have. When you buy one, just make sure you get a 2 way that beeps or vibrates to let you know the vehicle did start. I had an old one way on my truck, and I would never know if it started (when starting it from inside the mall, etc.)

Astro start and command start both are good.

PS- don't lose the fuckin remote!!! they're pricey
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Letting your car idle to warm up is pretty bad for it.  Oil pressure is typically VERY low, and lubrication is what your engine needs when it's cold.   Plus it takes a lot longer to warm up.

But heck, it's your car.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
oil pressure is very low, so flooring it to warm it up only heats it up quicker through friction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Clifford products.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I am shocked that there aren't a lot of absent-minded people who start the car in the garage and die of CO poisoning because they decide not to go anywhere or get side-tracked.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
You are going to make the baby Al Gore cry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Danger Will Robinson!

Car starter installers are probably the most opposite of craftsmen you can get. They are the very definition of spit and bailing wire. Make certain to get plenty of references for any place you are going to take your car to. These things cut into a lot of important wires. If you want your car to start and run reliably these connections must be made well. Definitely go under the dash and inspect their work on other cars before trusting your car to them.

Every remote starter I've ever seen has had a problem at one time or another, from the sublime (dog trainer's Excursion would ONLY start with the remote) to the ridiculous (my truck windows stopped working) and everything in between.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Danger Will Robinson!

Car starter installers are probably the most opposite of craftsmen you can get. They are the very definition of spit and bailing wire. Make certain to get plenty of references for any place you are going to take your car to. These things cut into a lot of important wires. If you want your car to start and run reliably these connections must be made well. Definitely go under the dash and inspect their work on other cars before trusting your car to them.

Every remote starter I've ever seen has had a problem at one time or another, from the sublime (dog trainer's Excursion would ONLY start with the remote) to the ridiculous (my truck windows stopped working) and everything in between.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!

Hardware by a reputable outfit like Directed Electronics, Inc (DEI), and installation by someone who knows what they are doing. Most hardware manufacturers provide installation schematics my injdividual vehicle make and model, but you have to have someone who can follow those directions and hopefully has done numerous installs on cars like yours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Danger Will Robinson!

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!

Hardware by a reputable outfit like Directed Electronics, Inc (DEI), and installation by someone who knows what they are doing. Most hardware manufacturers provide installation schematics my injdividual vehicle make and model, but you have to have someone who can follow those directions and hopefully has done numerous installs on cars like yours.

Better yet, get an engine block header instead - Easy to install, reliable, gives you heat the second you start the engine, doesn't dump fuel in the crankcase or wash oil off the piston rings, provides near-instant engine lubrication upon startup, and will actually increase your current fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top