Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:28 PM EDT
Now, I really DO NOT have any issue with DPs.  If you want to call a freakin' stalk of broccoli your DP, I really don't give two shits.  But I *do* mind the double standard for how to prove so.

My company is auditing all FT folks who have benefits, and asking us to prove that those on our plans are, in fact, either our spouses, DPs, or dependents.  Great.  Really.  I support this, and I hope we catch some scofflaws.  However, the burden of proof is unduly complicated for me, versus someone with a DP.

As for me, I have to provide copies of my 2007 tax statement, showing my wife on it and my kids.  Also, the kid's birth certificates, and my wife and I's marriage license.  Really, no big deal, I suppose.  However, ya wanna guess what a domestic partnership has to do?  It's as simple as signing a note "promising" that you are, in fact, DPs, and provide a bank loan, mortgage statement, or any damned thing else with both your names on it, going back at least 3 months.

And ya know what?  That's fine, too.  But why do I have to do one thing, and they another?  If we are going to "accept" certain things, then the burden of proof needs to be brought to the common level, and not different for each thing.  It is simply unfair that I should have to have such a large level of documentation, but a DP needs such little, for the same thing.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats about my only problem with the idea as well
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to go through that two years ago.Marriage Certificate and all the rest, yet they still have me down as being single.

I've worked at the company for 20 years and they still have me down as being single even though my wife and kids are on my health insurance, wife is my insurance beneficiary, etc, etc.

Of course, our company is run like a small, corrupt African Nation.....think Zimbabwe just with more fat people.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not married, but I have been living with someone for a few years now. Obviously, she's not my 'spouse' in legal terms, as I don't believe GA recognizes common law marriage anymore. Since I couldn't put her down as Wife, I listed her as Domestic Partner on my forms. What a shock to find out they expect / require you to be gay if you're filling out those forms!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
see that's BS, why can't my GF or dog be covered on my health insurance too?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Exactly.  If a homosexual couple can receive coverage, then so should a non married heterosexual couple.  Or, me and a stalk of broccoli or anything else.  It is inconsistent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you could make them pay a fee to get a "Certificate of domestic partnership" and have it signed by a judge or justice of the peace and witnessed by 3 or more people...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now, I really DO NOT have any issue with DPs.  If you want to call a freakin' stalk of broccoli your DP, I really don't give two shits.  But I *do* mind the double standard for how to prove so.

My company is auditing all FT folks who have benefits, and asking us to prove that those on our plans are, in fact, either our spouses, DPs, or dependents.  Great.  Really.  I support this, and I hope we catch some scofflaws.  However, the burden of proof is unduly complicated for me, versus someone with a DP.

As for me, I have to provide copies of my 2007 tax statement, showing my wife on it and my kids.  Also, the kid's birth certificates, and my wife and I's marriage license.  Really, no big deal, I suppose.  However, ya wanna guess what a domestic partnership has to do?  It's as simple as signing a note "promising" that you are, in fact, DPs, and provide a bank loan, mortgage statement, or any damned thing else with both your names on it, going back at least 3 months.

And ya know what?  That's fine, too.  But why do I have to do one thing, and they another?  If we are going to "accept" certain things, then the burden of proof needs to be brought to the common level, and not different for each thing.  It is simply unfair that I should have to have such a large level of documentation, but a DP needs such little, for the same thing.

You ever think that it may be easier for DP's because there is less documentation that they can get to validate their DP status?  You CAN get a marriage certificate, they CAN NOT, so there's less documentation out there for them.

If gheys were allowed to marry, and get marriage certificates, then they would have to show that just like you do.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like the place you work for & the benifit co, has a soft spot for  mud pluggers DPs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Of course, our company is run like a small, corrupt African Nation.....think Zimbabwe just with more fat people.

I thought thats how the city was ran
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever think that it may be easier for DP's because there is less documentation that they can get to validate their DP status?  You CAN get a marriage certificate, they CAN NOT, so there's less documentation out there for them.

If gheys were allowed to marry, and get marriage certificates, then they would have to show that just like you do.

Yes, I am aware of that.  The burden of proof in CA *does* have licenses mentioned, not so in the other states.  But only signing a statement and having a document showing 3 months of the same two names on it?  C'mon now.  I could establish my Husky dog, Bowie as that, given a three month lead time.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
or you could allow gay people to get married so they have certificates...without those then how the hell else are they gonna prove that their "domestic partners"?

of course god forbid that happens, some arfcommers think gay marriage will be TEOTWAWKI...

ETA:  Seriously though, how do you expect them to prove "domestic partnership" without some marriage license?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  If a homosexual couple can receive coverage, then so should a non married heterosexual couple.  Or, me and a stalk of broccoli or anything else.  It is inconsistent.

you know, if people wanted to scam the guberment, me and my bestfriend can pretend to be gay and he would get health insurance and he can pay me $100 a month as a kickback
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Sign a statement saying that you consider your wife your "domestic partner" and attesting to the fact that you've lived together for over three months.

I'd love to see them take issue with that...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you know, if people wanted to scam the guberment, me and my bestfriend can pretend to be gay and he would get health insurance and he can pay me $100 a month as a kickback

There was a movie about just that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
My company is doing this as well.  I had to fax a copy of the marriage license when I added my wife after she lost her job.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I would normally say "let the market decide on whether to support domestic partnerships." However, because the health insurance industry is so regulated, I'm not sure that they have much of a choice.

Sounds like the insurers are between a rock and a hard place: include it and expose yourself to potential fraud or don't include it and get sued for discrimination.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I just hope they fire anyone they catch cheating and then sue for the money back. Just like embezzling in my mind. SS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top