Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:37 AM EDT
Rant begins

Can someone please explain to me where or who decided
to put a foreign nationality before American ?
I remember very well that when someone was described
as far as skin color goes....mexican,asain,white,black.......
I still do and the people I associate do too.

even on the street most will too

I am an AMERICAN from a mexican back ground and I refuse to be called anything
else other than American.

I joined the US Army ....Fought for American Causes 3 time and
had the privledge of seeing in person the Berlin wall come down...

I tell my kid that she is an AMERICAN of mexican decent.
But hispanic for "race" and

NATIONALITY....

United States AMERICAN

Damm PC commie pinko Obamites

Rant over
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
10/10
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Affirmative action,everyone wants a piece of the pie.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to describe myself as Irish/French/German, but now I just refer to myself as an American.  I've had people ask me several times in the last year or so what my nationality was, and I said American.  No, where are your people from?  America.

Then they go on about their country and their people, and how different they are from me and my people, and how much I have to learn about the world.  It's pretty irritating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It gets them victim status and lots of free stuff from the govt.
That and they have low self esteem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The Duke kicks ass
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I also refer to myself as american and inform my children that they are american!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm Asian American.  I have strong asian roots, and I'm American.  Im not divided at all.  I know where I've been and I know where I'm going.  And there's noting bad about either.  It's not liberal, it's not PC, it's not rude, it's not anything except appreciating who I am, and what makes up me.

If you have a problem with the name it's your problem, and it's a name.  You really should get over it.  There's way bigger and real problems out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm Asian American.  I have strong asian roots, and I'm American.  Im not divided at all.  I know where I've been and I know where I'm going.  And there's noting bad about either.  It's not liberal, it's not PC, it's not rude, it's not anything except appreciating who I am, and what makes up me.

If you have a problem with the name it's your problem, and it's a name.  You really should get over it.  There's way bigger and real problems out there.

Did you not pay attention?....It's not about your name....it's about putting another nationality before American...either you are..or you are not, American.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Yeah I could be German-American, Polish-American, French-American or British-American if I wanted to play that stupid game.

You know what, I am just an American.

Please check your hyphenated bullshit name at the door, or go back to your motherland.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
that's just racist.......................I think ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
See sigline.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah I could be German-American, Polish-American, French-American or British-American if I wanted to play that stupid game.

Please check your hyphenated bullshit name at the door, or go back to your motherland.

Oh Please.  Now I can't be American now without dropping my roots?   That's the bullshit right there.  So being American is now an exclusive club, that you have to drop your roots or you defy you're patriotism?  Just because you can't claim you have roots somewhere else, you cop that shit that other people can't.  I can and do embrace my asian backgorund, and I an an American, despite people like you trying to kick me out of the club.  I don't not worry about my patriotism or allegiance to the U.S.A.  You don't know me, so you have no reason to worry about it either.  Get over it.  Maybe I'll even invite you over to the next Chinese New Year so you can see there's nothing to worry about.
There IS NO DIVISION despite all the stupid quotes, you can come up with that say I am.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
American could be Central or South American too you know
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
See sigline.

Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Anglo-Saxon Scandinavian American

Wow, first time I've ever spelled it out.

Nah. think I'll just go back to American.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Please.  Now I can't be American now without dropping my roots?   That's the bullshit right there.  So being American is now an exclusive club, that you have to drop your roots or you defy you're patriotism?  Just because you can't claim you have roots somewhere else, you cop that shit that other people can't.  I can and do embrace my asian backgorund, and I an an American, despite people like you trying to kick me out of the club.  I don't not worry about my patriotism or allegiance to the U.S.A.  You don't know me, so you have no reason to worry about it either.  Get over it.  Maybe I'll even invite you over to the next Chinese New Year so you can see there's nothing to worry about.
There IS NO DIVISION despite all the stupid quotes, you can come up with that say I am.

I would say it's a choice you can make or not make.  I know asians who are fully american and have left their asian roots behind to become one of us.  There are others who go to, say, korean-only churches, live in korean neighborhoods, continue to speak korean and all that kind of thing.  That's division.  Some of the asian girls I know are a little uncomfortable walking around in my house with their shoes on, but I think that's a little different.  After thinking about it for a while I might adopt that custom as well.  It just makes sense from a cleanliness aspect.

I read chinese history and japanese history just as much as I read irish and russian folktales or watch shakespeare plays.  I know asians who would never watch shakespeare, but I watch kabuki theater.  

Living in los angeles for many years I've picked up on subtle clues that some people don't want to assimilate to white american culture, which is fine with me.  But to then say that there's no division is dishonest.  Asians have never struck me as a group that's going to initiate a crime wave or cause racial problems or anything so its no big deal to me whether you take tae kwon do or kendo or eat at the korean bbq instead of the local black guy's chicken and ribs place.  Who cares.  

But I know chinese who stick together for no reason other than that they are all chinese.  Same with filipinos.  Same with japanese.  And I pick up on the competition between the japanese and the chinese, and how both groups view the filipinos.

Not every white person came from a 99% white town in vermont, some of us can read the dynamics very well.

On the other hand, if you just mean that you go to the chinese new year celebration as an echo of the place your parents came from in the same way that I go to the St. Patrick's day parade, there's no problem with that.  Is that what you mean?

The reason I ask is I've asked korean kids about this before.  They saw themselves as korean first, and american second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]
woot 10/10
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Anglo American Checking in...

+1 on this thread!  

Either your American.. or  your not..
I am an American that happens to be WHITE...

Ya digg?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be American all you want.  Hyphenated Americanism is just wrong.  Stop being a baby.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Do you have a hot sister?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Teddy Roosevelt had something to say on this subject.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to CNN.

"As diverse as you are"

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say it's a choice you can make or not make.  I know asians who are fully american and have left their asian roots behind to become one of us.  There are others who go to, say, korean-only churches, live in korean neighborhoods, continue to speak korean and all that kind of thing.  That's division.  Some of the asian girls I know are a little uncomfortable walking around in my house with their shoes on, but I think that's a little different.  After thinking about it for a while I might adopt that custom as well.  It just makes sense from a cleanliness aspect.

I read chinese history and japanese history just as much as I read irish and russian folktales or watch shakespeare plays.  I know asians who would never watch shakespeare, but I watch kabuki theater.  

Living in los angeles for many years I've picked up on subtle clues that some people don't want to assimilate to white american culture, which is fine with me.  But to then say that there's no division is dishonest.  Asians have never struck me as a group that's going to initiate a crime wave or cause racial problems or anything so its no big deal to me whether you take tae kwon do or kendo or eat at the korean bbq instead of the local black guy's chicken and ribs place.  Who cares.  

But I know chinese who stick together for no reason other than that they are all chinese.  Same with filipinos.  Same with japanese.  And I pick up on the competition between the japanese and the chinese, and how both groups view the filipinos.

Not every white person came from a 99% white town in vermont, some of us can read the dynamics very well.

On the other hand, if you just mean that you go to the chinese new year celebration as an echo of the place your parents came from in the same way that I go to the St. Patrick's day parade, there's no problem with that.  Is that what you mean?

The reason I ask is I've asked korean kids about this before.  They saw themselves as korean first, and american second.

I see myself as both.  I never had the need to say one was more important than the other.  I am a U.S. citizen.  I was born here first generation, and do not have or want dual citizenship.  I'm not a bad American, and I'm not a bad Asian.  There is plenty of room to be both.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a hot sister?

I have 2 sisters.  Not that it helps me.  American's don't inbreed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see myself as both.  I never had the need to say one was more important than the other.  I am a U.S. citizen.  I was born here first generation, and do not have or want dual citizenship.  I'm not a bad American, and I'm not a bad Asian.  There is plenty of room to be both.  

You need to read TR's speech.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You say you're "not divided" but you choose an  identity that identifies you with two groups.  Divisive by nature, because it is a choice to say, "I am not what you are".
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#28]
The US is a land of immigrants. The original pilgrims that came to the new world were immigrants. Christopher Columbus was an immigrant etc etc.

All through the history of the US, it had it waves of immigrants, the Germans, the Irish, Chinese etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#29]
There really isn't room to be fully both.  You're some of one and some of another, and neither one completely.  It's a set of divided loyalties.  If you were just acknowledging your roots and appreciating the culture you came from, I can understand that.  

I dunno.  I don't see this multiculturalism thing working out very well.  People have pride in their heritage, they don't want to join the team.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm an American-American

Seriously, I can't even give an answer when people ask "so what are you?" meaning ethnic hyphenated nationality. Before my ancestors were officially Americans, they were subjects of the crown living in the colonies. Before that they were mostly from Scotland or some shit, I don't know, it was like 400 years ago. But ever since they kicked some redcoat ass, they've just been Americans. Uhh, I guess they were also Confederate-Americans for a few years... .

And this is true for most of the native Southerners I know.  Unless their family moved here in the last generation or two, they've probably been here since the beginning. Obviously there were immigrants in the meantime, but they assimilated completely. We didn't get the massive waves of foreign immigration that stayed together after they got here and kept elements of the old ethnic identity.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There really isn't room to be fully both.  You're some of one and some of another, and neither one completely.  It's a set of divided loyalties.  If you were just acknowledging your roots and appreciating the culture you came from, I can understand that.  

I dunno.  I don't see this multiculturalism thing working out very well.  People have pride in their heritage, they don't want to join the team.  

Then I'll just have to ask you to make a leap of faith.  You look at these 'teams' as being opponents.  They aren't.  In fact the two accent each other quite nicely.  In fact nobody ever even noticed the two until I said something.  People do not see my almond shaped eyes and say I'm un-american, or am not playing for the 'team'.  I'm not undermining American or Asian culture or way of life.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Im american but people when people ask "whats your nationalty or where you from" I know what their talking about.As they are asking whats your race..

I am proud of my race and glad to share it with people. I am a American citizen and most people know this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
People living the US can trace their ancestry back to another country.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#34]
What about Midgets?  Dont for get the Midget Americans!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#35]

I'm an "American-American".

NOT just "American"... I am an American-American.

So where's the checkbox for that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#36]
i've always wondered how it is in other countries...african-british?  afro-german?  asian-canadian?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't care much for those from the land of hyphen.  One word says it all, AMERICAN.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#38]
The hyphenated shit bugs the hell out of me as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Edit: Doubletap
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Is there something WRONG with just being "American".
Being American has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

There was a time when people were actually proud to be known as "Americans" first, and ethnic sub-classifications second, and did not insist on this hyphenation attention whore business, because that's all it is as far as I can tell.

You can call yourself Martian-American if you want, its a free country, but I guess I am just missing something here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm a Mutt. Irish, English, German, Cherokee, and God knows what else. Just like most Americans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Are you afraid if you don't say Asian- American someone might mistake
you for an African-American or Mexican-American?

We will never survive as a nation if we dont come together as Americans, period.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#43]
There's a line in the movie, Casablanca, in which the Humphrey Bogart character is asked about his nationality or allegience.  He replies, "I'm a drunkard." That works for me.  Often times, people can't tell what I am so I give a similar response, "alcoholic."
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#44]
If you have a hyphen in your nationality, it is because you're not a real American - period.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not an asian, you're an American.  This is where you were born.
There's nothing wrong with knowing your heritage and where your family came from but to cling to it and feel the need to hyphenate yourself is a concern.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#46]
i always mark other and write in american. Maybe thats why I don't ever get a promotion at work. Damnit I think next month I will put something else and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Depends on the situation really.  My family came from Sonora Mexico legally.  My Grandfather joined the Army and retired as a Sergeant Major. Since then all of his male decedents have served the U.S military.  My grandfather only refers to himself as American even though he is lets just say very Mexican in nature.

Some of my male relatives say Mexican-American it doesn't really bother me because they are all ex-Marines or Soldiers.  I only say American but Mexican-American doesn't bother me all that much.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I shall from this day forward introduce myself as Irish-Jewish-German-Native American.

Nah, that's ridiculous.

Hey, I have an idea!

I shall be known as an AMERICAN.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
i've always wondered how it is in other countries...african-british?  afro-german?  asian-canadian?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#50]
It doesn't really bother me becasue I look at it like this.

When people say (insert Country or Continent name here) -American it means to me that they came from there but they won't hesitate to wipe out that area for America.

Kind of like German American to that means I came from Germany but I won't hesitate for a moment to burn and kill every German in Germany to the ground to save America.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top