Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 6:24:21 AM EDT
The other thread about the accidental discharge in the apartment upstairs reminded me that when I was much younger and dumber I was goofing around with an AMT .380 "Backup" while driving one day and accidentally shot the floor pan of my car.  I was deaf in one ear for hours and shudder to think where I'd be today had I shot myself in the leg with that HydraShok.

Don't waste your time with the insults - there's nothng you can call me that I haven't already said to myself.  The important thing is the lesson I learned that day.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Just got done reading the girlfriend thread & thought this was something else.

NM
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe in AD's, I believe in ND's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Big +1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the difference?  What's an ND?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to admit I shot a hole in my buddy's floor one time.  He left a .22 on the kitchen table and I picked it up and decided to "test the trigger pull" in a moment of stupidity.

Luckily I always point guns in a safe direction, or my failure to check the chamber first could have ended badly.

I told him he was an idiot for leaving a loaded rifle on the kitchen table, but I was a bigger idiot...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot a wall in my bedroom with a .22 Colibri round. Obviously, the damage was very minimal.
Fortunately, that was my only ND.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ND = NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Accident vs Negligent.  

if you pulled the trigger and the firearm when off it wasn't really an accident was it?  It wasn't an accident, you were just negligent to realize their was a live round in the chamber.

IMHO, An AD happens when you are shooting your grandfather's Nambu pistol and the damn thing goes off when you engage the safety.  Or you get a slamfire on an SKS still junked up with Cosmo.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ND is negligent discharge. Meaning you put your booger hook on the bang button, and the only reason nobody got hurt was because sometimes, the very foolish are very lucky.

An accidental discharge is when you take the safety off a gun and, because of a mechanical defect, the hammer drops and the gun fires.

Fucking around with an "unloaded" gun and shooting your TV is negligent. You neglected to unload the gun, double check the chamber and then pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ND = NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.

Yeah, that's a better description.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never had an ND with any firearm, ever.  

The most dangerous thing that ever happened to me involving a firearm was having a .22 Short ricochet off of a concrete wall and graze my right cheek.  This happened because my backstop had failed; I didn't realize that it was inadequate.  

I was wearing eye and ear protection and shooting indoors.  I aimed at the target (a soda can) at 10 yards.  I pulled the trigger and I heard the gun go off.  Then I felt something hit me in the face.  I didn't feel pain, just an impact.    

The injury was very minor; it looked like I had cut myself shaving.  I never found the bullet.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
My father was given a remington 582 (bolt action .22) about 15 years ago. He only fired it a few (literally) times before it was put up in the top of the closet. About a year ago, I took it out to the range, to see what it would do. It had been put away clean, so I figured it would be alright.

I set up at the range, put it on some sand bags, and when I disengaged the safety, the gun fired. My finger was nowhere near the trigger. It caught me completely off guard. I decided to see if it would happen again, so I chambered another round. I disengaged the safety....bang.

I packed up the rifle and took it to a gunsmith. Cost about $40 to fix, and it's been a great shooter ever since.

I am just glad the rifle was pointed downrange when i learned of the flaw. I had done a function check of the action, but not of the safety. That was my problem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
My only ND happened when I was 15.  I was shooting a marlin 22LR on my parents' property and it was giving me complete fits with malfunctions.  Failure to eject, failure to fire, etc.  It was probably due the fact that I was 15 and didn't have clue how to properly clean and maintain a rifle.

So after 30 minutes of pure frustration, I decided to go back inside.  I dropped the mag, yanked back on the bolt, point the rifle down at the ground and pulled the trigger.  BANG!  Remember me mentioning it was having failure to eject problems?  I hadn't done a visual check of the chamber to ensure it was clear.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My girlfriend's dad was holding a Springfield 45 caliber pistol in front of his open safe last week and put a bullet into a rifle stock in his safe, grazing a finger in the process.

My own dad put a 25 caliber bullet through the living room floor a long time ago.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in the parking lot of a McDonald's with a friend, a very conscientious NRA Certified Instructor, after shooting at Quantico.  

He went to load his Beretta Tomcat and it went off and shot a hole in his BMW.  

We looked at each other in astonishment.  Calmly got in our cars and drove away.  

Luckily it was around 4th of July so people probably assumed it was a very loud firecracker.  

I was deaf in one ear for hours.  

I still give him shit about that to this day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
My great uncle nearly died due to an accidental discharge. My great-grandparents (on my dad's father's side) had 14 kids. They supplemented their groceries through hunting. My grandpa and his brothers were in their room, getting ready to go hunt, and my uncle Sam was loading his grandfather's Colt Peacemaker (he had been a sheriff in Bisbee when AZ was a territory) and had gotten distracted. He forgot where he was in the "load one, skip one, load four" sequence because he was in a hurry. He ended up with a live round under the hammer.

He was in a rush holstering the gun and ended up dropping it. It landed on the hammer and discharged. The slug shattered his lower jaw and stopped in his cheekbone, just under his eye. It stayed there the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My great uncle nearly died due to an accidental discharge. My great-grandparents (on my dad's father's side) had 14 kids. They supplemented their groceries through hunting. My grandpa and his brothers were in their room, getting ready to go hunt, and my uncle Sam was loading his grandfather's Colt Peacemaker (he had been a sheriff in Bisbee when AZ was a territory) and had gotten distracted. He forgot where he was in the "load one, skip one, load four" sequence because he was in a hurry. He ended up with a live round under the hammer.

He was in a rush holstering the gun and ended up dropping it. It landed on the hammer and discharged. The slug shattered his lower jaw and stopped in his cheekbone, just under his eye. It stayed there the rest of his life.

That's crazy, glad he survived it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#20]
A few buddies and I were in his backyard (ca. 200 acre property) shooting just like we had done for years.  I had just bought an SKS, so we were putting that through its' paces when all of a sudden the cops show up.  Not just the cops, but 2 Detectives and 4 uniform patrol guys. Uhhh...WTF?  

Turns out, one of the rounds from the SKS hit a house over 2000 meters away, uphill, through a solid 500 yards of thick woods.  Even the cop said, it was a one in a million shot.  Went in through the garage window, hit the ceiling, took a gouge about 2 feet long out of the drywall, and then lodged in the garage wall.  

$1140 later, it was fixed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Closest I've ever come was a slam fire when closing the bolt.  Fortunately, I was at the range, the muzzle was pointed at the deck, and it scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accident vs Negligent.  

if you pulled the trigger and the firearm when off it wasn't really an accident was it?  It wasn't an accident, you were just negligent to realize their was a live round in the chamber.

IMHO, An AD happens when you are shooting your grandfather's Nambu pistol and the damn thing goes off when you engage the safety.  Or you get a slamfire on an SKS still junked up with Cosmo.

I tried to explain this to a newly minted cop and he made it seemed like he had never heard of an ND and that they just called them all accidental.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
My dad had a WWII Mauser HSC .32ACP that he was given by his aunt's boyfriend.  When I was young he was in his loading room and used the safety to drop the hammer on a loaded chamber (he thought it was a trigger decocker feature) BANG!  WTF!!!  To this day every time he sees that pistol in my safe he reminds me not to do that!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What about a round cooking off from the heat of an AR?

Pat Rogers related an incident in one of his classes where a former Arfcom member, who will not be named, was downrange with him.  Finger clearly off the trigger and a round went off, most likely from the heat of the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I was at the range with an Enfield 2A when the bolt started giving me trouble by not catching the (sear?) and not locking back in cocked position.   Like a dumbass I pulled back on the cocking tab on the back of the bolt to cock it and try and get it hooked on the sear (with a loaded round in the chamber).

Well, kind of lost my grip on the cocking tab or thought it had engaged when it hadn't.  Tab flew forward under spring pressure and the firing pin touched off the round.  Luckily had it pointed downrange at all times and it went straight into the berm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top