Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:12 AM EDT
Is there an Army reg on this? I'm on a three week trip to Romania and we had some NCO's get drunk last night and start trying to order guys around while they were intoxicated.

I know there has to be a reg on it somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Next time call the MP's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
a swift kick in the chaunch ought to solve your problem.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Next time call the MP's.

I say you talk to him about it before you do that.

Edit: Unless you aren't in a position to...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
They're wrong as two boys fucking in church. Wait until morning and bring it to 1SGs attention if it was really that bad.

Or, you can just wait until they pass out and take a nasty dump in front of their door.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Drunk NCO's simply LOVE to be backhanded by non-rates.  You should give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Drunk NCO's simply LOVE to be backhanded by non-rates.  You should give it a whirl.

With you tube link or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
We had that happen once in Basic very briefly, only they were drill sergeants.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hell yeah, in the morning they won't remember a thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there an Army reg on this? I'm on a three week trip to Romania and we had some NCO's get drunk last night and start trying to order guys around while they were intoxicated.

I know there has to be a reg on it somewhere.

everyone knows only officers give orders drunk! or at least that would explain most of them!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Great guys. yea we had three brawls in the barrakcs. It was fun and it fucked up my hold em game.

So I'm guessing that there is no specific reg on it then.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
there is, Article 15.  Pretty much, if your drunk, and performing NCO duties, your drunk on duty.  While it might not be command directed, it is what it is.  Unless there is an emergency, your just an ass, and I would deff call the MP's next time.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#13]
When my Senior DI got relieved he showed up drunk in the barracks at 2 or 3 am and busted out all the contraband the DIs had collected.  We drank and smoked and ate geedunk in 3rd phase.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Run up in him .
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the back story on this?  Were the Soldiers fucking around and actually need to listen or was the NCO just acting like a cock?  As an NCO, I've had to talk to junior Airmen while I'd been drinking because they were starting to step on their dick.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Back in the day when I actually was an NCO, I made sure that when I gave orders or dressed anyone down I was sober and would not do it drunk.  

I was coming on base (walking) and had a Private on gate guard duty mouth off to me as I walked through the gate.  I had been drinking so I did nothing but call the SOG, though it could have been handled by just me if had been sober.  That poor private had a REALLY long night since the Gunny got involved too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Have a discussion with Top about it on his "open door" policy... unless of course he was involved.

If it is a serious matter.. and Top does not want to hear it, ask him if he will accompany you to see the SGM once you make the appt.

I am sure it will be dealt with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone has a boss.

If this person caused a problem, or diminished the position of NCO due to drink, you are obligated to report it.

NCO is a hard row to hoe.  Weed the serious fuckups out.  Don't just re-assign them to California.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a drunk NCO give me an order. He ordered me to,"Get me another beer!!!!" Seeing as it was his beer,that I was drinking,I thought it was a rather good order to comply with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Depending on his orders and his behavior this would most likely be labeled "Drunk and Disorderly Conduct".  Call your 1SG or Commander and have them come take a gander, they will not be amused.  If he's trying to keep other drunken Soldiers in line and not being outrageous or an ass then he's doing his job.  The MP's won't care unless he's being a real jackass and will probably only apprehend him if he gives them a ration of shit when they show up.  Just have a word with his NCOIC, that usually fixes things.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Never been in the Military but I am an honorable man, if it was a rare ocurance I'd treat him with the repsect a commanding officer deserves and suck it up, he is human just like you after all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Never been in the Military but I am an honorable man, if it was a rare ocurance I'd treat him with the repsect a commanding officer deserves and suck it up, he is human just like you after all.

Like you said, you've never been in the military.  NCO's are held to a higher standard and if they attempt to give Soldiers BS orders while intoxicated they deserve to be relieved of said rank.   If the Soldiers cannot respect a NCO because of his conduct then it degrades the authority of the entire NCO Corps.  It also creates resentment which has the same effect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like you said, you've never been in the military.  NCO's are held to a higher standard and if they attempt to give Soldiers BS orders while intoxicated they deserve to be relieved of said rank.   If the Soldiers cannot respect a NCO because of his conduct then it degrades the authority of the entire NCO Corps.  It also creates resentment which has the same effect.

Does my statement "if it was a rare occurance"  not mean anything?

You wanna ruin a man's career over a rare possible one time mistake in judement?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Going to Basic in the early 70's, everybody was basically drunk, Senior and junior DI's had strong liquor on their breath and you smelled it when they jumped in your shit. All were VN vets and had huge chips on their shoulders they would not talk about it but you knew. Then as a civilian I encountered most of the guys who were ROK vets who spent their time with the bottle. You would see them with missing fingers and the steely look in their eyes when they talked about the "cold" of Korea. I loved them all and accepted them for their little faults, after all they had been thru hell and back.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

everyone knows only officers give orders drunk! or at least that would explain most of them!

Only enlisted men get drunk.

Officers "become indisposed".
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Tie him up and throw his ass in the shower...whats he gonna do admit he got drunk on duty, I dont think so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#28]
It really depends.  If the order is an illegal order or an unclear order, it would not be obeyed.  If it were a chicken s--t order, it would be obeyed.

If the situation were avoidable, I would avoid it.

I had a Ranger Sgt. as a platoon sgt.  When he and another Sgt. were arrested for drunk, they were 75 miles from the base.  It wasn't the first time - and there were consequences.

The OP posited a situation wherein the judgment of the drunk sgt. was impaired.  It would be very serious in an on duty situation and would never knowingly tolerated.  

There were stories about famed fighters who were devils to be around when off duty and drunk - and never drunk on duty.  Remember, when you are off duty, you have a choice about being around off duty sgts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Have a discussion with Top about it on his "open door" policy... unless of course he was involved.

If it is a serious matter.. and Top does not want to hear it, ask him if he will accompany you to see the SGM once you make the appt.

I am sure it will be dealt with.

This is the right thing.  Talk with Top the next morning.  He REALLY enjoys hearing about NCO's showing their ass.  Problem should be corrected forthwith.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does my statement "if it was a rare occurance"  not mean anything?

You wanna ruin a man's career over a rare possible one time mistake in judement?

I know several dead sailors and at least one dead civilian who would still be around if it hadn't been for rare one time mistakes in judgement.  Officers and NCO's are expected to be on the ball all the time.  It's hard to judge not knowing all the circumstances, if the NCO was returning, in the bag, and the circumstances required his attention, then he might have been well within in this expected duties to solve a situation.  However if he was in the bag and his orders were out of line, then yes he may need to get some talking too and maybe lose a stripe. (Goes for officers too, although losing a stripe very seldomly occurs)

I expect my Petty Officers and JOs to act like PO's and JO's. If they can't handle the sauce, don't drink.

Ruin a career over one lapse in judgement?  How bad a lapse?

Drunk on Duty is definitely an Offense.  The dicey question that comes up in the military, is those gray areas of what is  "on Duty"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top