Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 10:03:40 PM EDT
Been house sitting for the 'rents, but I have a doctors appointment I can't miss on Monday. I have to leave at around 10am, and my parents wont be home till around 12am. Once I leave, I'm leaving the city my parents live in and moving back to my place so coming back isn't an option.

I really don't give a shit if she pees inside, I just don't want her to hold it to the point where she damages her bladder.

She sleeps for about 12 hours at a time, I was thinking about screwing with her sleep schedule so she'd just sleep through the day.

Feedback? Love this dog and I'd hate to put her through pain...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
my dog could hold it allll day just fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the dog. Some are so stubborn/loyal/trained that they will NOT go inside the house or in a kennel. Our dog is this way, she'll hold it and get a bladder infection before she'll go in the house.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
During the day? Walk the dog a few times and restrict liquids prior to the lengthy absence
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
During the day? Walk the dog a few times and restrict liquids prior to the lengthy absence

Yeah, I was thinking that. Removing the water the night before and the whole day I'm gone, and of course taking her out to pee the morning I'm leaving.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A dog is man and womans best friend..take it to a dog hotel for the day.How would you feel just after you wake up in the morning,got to piss and have to wait that length of time???
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Depends on the dog. Some are so stubborn/loyal/trained that they will NOT go inside the house or in a kennel. Our dog is this way, she'll hold it and get a bladder infection before she'll go in the house.

Sounds like my dog, which is why I'm worried.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
my poor old golden retriever can't hold it an hour these days.    he's gonna be put to sleep either this week or next.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends how old the dog is!

The rule is "one hour for every month of age" up to a year old.  In other words, a four month old puppy will need to urinate an average of every four hours.

After a year they can go about eight hours, max.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the curve goes down again as they age.  Just like humans, in fact!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My GS Dogs could go 13 hours when I kept them in the house while at work.
It's very hard to get pissed at them for not holding it until I got home, when I was putting them in that situation.

~R
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking that. Removing the water the night before and the whole day I'm gone, and of course taking her out to pee the morning I'm leaving.

Actually, I meant to "reduce" liquids, not deny them

I don't know how much your dog usually drinks or pees

but, a cup or two of water the night before and a cup
the morning you leave should be enough for "health"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Depends how old the dog is!

The rule is "one hour for every month of age" up to a year old.  In other words, a four month old puppy will need to urinate an average of every four hours.

After a year they can go about eight hours, max.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the curve goes down again as they age.  Just like humans, in fact!

She's about 4 years old, still in her prime.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
my poor old golden retriever can't hold it an hour these days.    he's gonna be put to sleep either this week or next.  

Does the canine have a bladder infection?

See a Vet?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Females as a rule are cleaner then males.  My female Rottie will go under the bed at night and not come out for 8-10 hrs.  She has gone sometimes as long as 12 hrs before coming out, but when she goes out to pee STAND BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
On a trip last Christmas from Tucson to Dallas we took our two female Austalian Cattle Dogs with us in the truck.  They went before we left, but refused to go along the way, and we stopped every few hours.  After we got there they finally went.  Elapsed time was just over 20 hours.  No, I don't drive that slow, we stopped at a rest area for a couple hours shuteye.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
My dog is 5, and he can, and will hold it for 12-13 hours if necessary, but I try to make sure he goes no longer than 8 hours without urinating.  Just because he can hold it for an extended period of time, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... so coming back isn't an option....

For a responsible person, it would be an option.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

++
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Know that you gave him a great life, he'll be waiting for you.

Rainbow Bridge
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

++

+3
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Only a doctors appt? No other obligations? I'd go to lunch afterwords then mabey see a movie then go back to the house and walk her then head home. Call an old friend in town or something.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Ours has trained herself not to eat or drink water while we are away.
I am sure she does, a bit, while we are gone, but as soon as we walk through the door each day she heads straight for the food and water dishes to load up.
If I give her a chew treat before leaving in the am, she will put it in her "spot", and then start in on it within 10 min of my getting home.

She goes 8 hrs with no problem unless she is sick.
She has gone as long as 12 hrs without incident, when my wife and I both had to work late.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I prefer to keep my dog in the yard while I am out. She gets to go when needed and I dont need to worry. The key is a good fence, water and a dog house
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

++

+3

I'm leaving the state Monday afternoon.

Coming back is not an option.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Until they hear your car pull up in the driveway
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Not long. They can't cup their paws like we can our hands
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sounds like you planned poorly to handle the responsibilities for which you volunteered, or were asked, to handle.

That's unfortunate.  Hope your parents are given a full account of how poorly you planned so that they might make a better decision on the care of their dog in the future.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you planned poorly to handle the responsibilities for which you volunteered, or were asked, to handle.

That's unfortunate.  Hope your parents are given a full account of how poorly you planned so that they might make a better decision on the care of their dog in the future.

I didn't volunteer or ask. My closest friend is in critical condition in the hospital.

That isn't something you plan for, jackass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#29]
A long time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not hire a dog walker?  They will come to your house, walk the dog and put it back in.

There has to be another way.

Eric  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why not hire a dog walker?  They will come to your house, walk the dog and put it back in.

There has to be another way.

Eric  

I got the gf to watch the dog. Didn't realize she had Monday off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I didn't volunteer or ask. My closest friend is in critical condition in the hospital.

Your original post said doctor's appointment, with no indication of urgency whatsoever.

Why the change in story??
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Been house sitting for the 'rents, but I have a doctors appointment I can't miss on Monday. I have to leave at around 10am, and my parents wont be home till around 12am. Once I leave, I'm leaving the city my parents live in and moving back to my place so coming back isn't an option.

The original post with no indication of a support trip for a friend.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your original post said doctor's appointment, with no indication of urgency whatsoever.

Why are you being such a prick?

I have a doctors appointment on Monday for me. Monday evening, right after the appointment, I'm flying to AZ to visit my friend who is in ill shape.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said once I leave my doctors appointment I'm leaving the city...

What the fuck is your deal?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a doctors appointment on Monday for me. Monday evening, right after the appointment, I'm flying to AZ to visit my friend who is ill.

You have an option, as do most responsible people.  After your appointment, go let the dog out.  Then tend to your personal business.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyways, I solved the problem. Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks SHIVAN for being an asshole for no reason.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a doctors appointment on Monday for me. Monday evening, right after the appointment, I'm flying to AZ to visit my friend who is ill.

You have an option, as do most responsible people.  After your appointment, go let the dog out.  Then tend to your personal business.

And what gives you authority to tell me what to do? Why the fuck am I even listening to you?

I already took care of the problem. Screw off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said once I leave my doctors appointment I'm leaving the city...

What the fuck is your deal?

..and shirking responsibility of taking care of your parent's pet.  Which is irresponsible.

Guess you don't like your flaw in judgement being pointed out to you?  Is that your problem?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Hah, holy shit. Didn't notice SHIVAN's post count. Obvious loser with nothing better to do than troll on arfcom 24 hrs a day

Hows living in the parents basement working out for you?

Anyways, I'm off to the range
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And what gives you authority to tell me what to do? Why the fuck am I even listening to you?

I already took care of the problem. Screw off.

Well, we are all glad you decided to handle it more responsibly then just letting the dog go for 14 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top