Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:52:25 PM EDT
I don't have one yet but planning on getting one soon. I'm a real dummy when it come to electronics, and a little behind the time. I guess the main question I have is where do you get your music from? Is it free or how much does it cost per song? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't have one yet but planning on getting one soon. I'm a real dummy when it come to electronics, and a little behind the time. I guess the main question I have is where do you get your music from? Is it free or how much does it cost per song? Thanks.

They blow - get a Zune or other player.  That is all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I pods work just fine.  Free=illegal (mostly)  usually $.99/song.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
you HAVE to use the iTunes program in order to transfer songs to the device.

iTunes is a program, but it's also the name of the music store the Apple runs.

You can get your mp3s via several methods:

-Buy them from the store
-Use iTunes program (or Audiograbber) to convert your CDs to mp3 files
-Download them via less than legal means
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Creative Zen... FTW
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
iPods are popular because they work, lots of haters here...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
iPods are popular because they work, lots of haters here...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-Buy them from the store

No you don't.  google using winamp and ipod
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Ipod is stable.  But you pay for that.  $200 for an 80gig that is still kicking.  $75 for a hit or miss Creative 4gig.  I got the Ipod and the best thing I did was get a set of Sennheiser headphone ear buds.  Ditch the ones that come with the Ipod asap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
had the others.....now have an ipod.
Ipod FTW !!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Creative Zen... FTW

+eleventybillion!1!11!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Ipod and I love it. Mine is a 32 GB Ipod touch. I can use it to listen to music, surf with web and watch movies.

I use it in conjunction with Itunes, which is installed on my computer. Itunes has several functions that I feel make it superior to other software programs for music:

1. Itunes allows me access to the Itunes store where I can purchase music, movies and TV shows. Music costs .99 cents per song generally, although sometimes you can find albums that work out to less than .99 cents per song. TV episodes are usually $1.99 and movies are usually $9.99.

2. Itunes allows me to "rip" music from CD and automatically imports that music into my Itunes library. "Ripping" is the process of converting songs on a music CD into computer files that can be played on your computer and copied to your Ipod.

3. Itunes gives me a single interface for managing my movies, TV shows and music stored on my computer and Ipod.

4. Itunes allows me the simplest method of syncing my Ipod with my music and other media library in one interface.

5. Itunes will automatically detect the version of firmware on my Ipod, check with Apple to see if there is a new version and seamlessly allow me to download and install the firmware on my Ipod by simply answering Yes when prompted to install.

Itunes can be downloaded from Apple for free and in my opinion is the best program for managing and playing music, TV shows and movies. Also, I have had other MP3 players and in my opinion the Ipod is the best. It is reliable, flexible and easy to use.

I don't know much about the Zune other than the fact that it is Microsoft product. That alone is reason enough to avoid it like The Plague.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
iPod is a very good platform.

Songs are 99 cents each from the i-Tunes website (and you can easily import your entire CD collection too as well).

The great thing about it is that you can buy just the songs you want, whereas back in the days of CDs (and before) you had to buy whole albums just to get one or two songs you wanted.

You can create "playlists" of your favorite songs, in any order you want, and edit the lists any time you want.

I like it because my i-Pod connects to my car stereo jack, so I can have whatever music I want in my car.  And, because it is all digital, there are never any skips (as with CDs sometimes) if you drive over bumps in the road.

It really is an awesome little device.

The only thing that is disappointing (to me) is that no Beatles music has been licensed for i-Pod yet - something about an ongoing legal battle between Apple computer and the old "Apple Corps" that held the rights to Beatles music.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
RANT ON !!!!!......AC/DC doesn't offer their albums to ipod users !!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The only thing that is disappointing (to me) is that no Beatles music has been licensed for i-Pod yet - something about an ongoing legal battle between Apple computer and the old "Apple Corps" that held the rights to Beatles music.

I believe the story goes something like this:

Apple was the name of the record company that The Beatles were recorded on and the name was copy righted. Apple records allowed Apple Computers to use the Apple name with the understanding that Apple Computers would never get into the music business. 20 years later Apple was in the digital music business and Apple Records now will not allow The Beatles music to be sold in the Itunes store.

However, if you have any Beatles albums on CD you can use Itunes to rip the album into your Itunes library and onto your Ipod.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My Godmother gave me an iPod Shuffle 1gig for Xmas a year and a half ago...a couple months ago she gave me an 8gig iPod Video for my B-day...I love it! Giving the Shuffle to my buddy once I load it up with all my songs for his next deployment...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
New Ipods only work with XP or Vista or a MAC, beware if you have an old machine.

Other than they, I hate them. I pretty computer literate and I can't stand the thing. There are way too many anti piracy protections in the program and hardware. I find it to be pretty user un-friendly.

I've heard some other people say there are better products out there but Apple has the marketing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

-Buy them from the store

There are plenty pf free applications out there that let you manage music on your Ipod.  One I have even downloads straight onto your Ipod so it doesn't matter what computer you are hooked into, you can manage your ipod./
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Ipods work, but you pay a good sum for the name. There are many players out there that offer the same and more features for less money. I like Creative, but theres a lot of convergence in brands these days. If I were to buy one for my self today, I'd probably get a 8gig Creative Zen Amazon . It seems like the offerings from Sansa and other brands have gotten pretty good while still being cheap.

The point is that Ipods are fine, but there are much better players for less money. I hate the ipod's interface with a passion, others adore it. Ask friends if they have one and try it out before you buy it. I also hate itunes software- if you use a PC you're in for a ride, the windows version is an absolute pig. I just drag and drop my music onto my player which I find much easier then going through specialized software. Some players can do this, others can't. Another stupidly missing feature on ipods is a built in FM tuner. I'm still amazed that they don't have this, as seemingly every other player made has one and they are incredibly useful. I listen to the radio about as much as I listen to the stored music, and that alone is reason to stay away from ipods for me.

If buying music is your thing, the itunes store works. You can also use subscription services where you pay a monthly fee for access to as much music as you want to download. But when you stop paying the fee, the music stops working. Itunes songs are yours, and you can even pay extra for drm free files, but it gets expensive. Most people just rip music off of cd's they own (legal) or download it (usually illegal).

If none of that makes sense, don't worry. Tl;dr version- try an ipod for a few minutes, then decide.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just drag and drop my music onto my player which I find much easier then going through specialized software. Some players can do this, others can't.

Yeah, it's such a hassle to open iTunes then drop and drag stuff
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]
iPods are fine, and I have no problem with them, but I'd rather not run iTunes, so my next player is going to work with WMP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Itunes can be downloaded from Apple for free and in my opinion is the best program for managing and playing music, TV shows and movies. Also, I have had other MP3 players and in my opinion the Ipod is the best. It is reliable, flexible and easy to use.

Ever try the windows version? It's an absolute mess. It's gotten huge, obtuse and obnoxious. It constantly resets it's self to the default application for ever media format, crashes left and right, installs all kinds of add on crap and just never goes away. I loathe the pc version of Itunes with the fire of a thousand suns. It's like the Realplayer of this decade.

Quoted:
I don't know much about the Zune other than the fact that it is Microsoft product. That alone is reason enough to avoid it like The Plague.

The Zune is actually a really nice player. Some of it's coolest features have been hobbled, but thats not Microsofts doing, it's the music industry not 'getting it'. Otherwise it's an entirely competent media player with a good interface and, I think, the best aesthetics of all. It's more player then I want or need, but they are worth looking at, despite being made by Microsoft.

-Local
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just get it from Amazon downloads.....no biggee.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]
It takes 11 gigs to download the entire Beach Boys discography.
But once you've done it, you have all the music you'll ever need.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There are way too many anti piracy protections in the program and hardware. I find it to be pretty user un-friendly.

+1

Apple basically sides with the large corporate content providers over the actual end users of their products.  iTunes is pretty inflexible in what you can and can't transfer onto your device.  If you want to get maximum flexibility out of your device, you have to work around iTunes.

If I was starting out again, I'd go with an MP3 based platform like a Sony or Zune.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been thinking about getting one too.  IPod, of course was the name I most recognized.  But if I read that last post correctly, I am not able to load my existing MP3 collection on an Ipod?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I have one.  Used it alot at first, but realized most places I went, I had my laptop with me, and that can do the same thing for no additional money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I am really digging my 2gb ipod shuffle. I got over 130 songs on it now. i-tunes works pretty good, I don't hear any difference between i-tunes and windows media.

Ipod shuffel, 2gb = $69 =
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have been thinking about getting one too.  IPod, of course was the name I most recognized.  But if I read that last post correctly, I am not able to load my existing MP3 collection on an Ipod?

Technically, iPod isn't an MP3 format, it's and Apple proprietary format (M4P I think).  iTunes may convert your music as you download your existing MP3, I'm not sure.  All I've done so far is download CDs into iTunes.  The thing that I don't like about the iPod is it can only download from a single iTunes account - you can't drag and drop selected playlists from a friend's iTunes into your iPod.

From everything I understand, anything that goes into your iPod has to go into your specific iTunes account first.  Also, I had a friend whose Apple had the hard drive fail, he couldn't use the iPod as an external memory device to repopulate his iTunes, he had to reload the music from CDs.

iTunes is a very user unfriendly platform.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-Buy them from the store

Wrong.  There are plenty of freeware and shareware apps out there to xfer songs to (and from) the ipod.  I use Anapod Explorer.

Just one of the reasons to hate iTunes software is that once you have the song on the ipod, if you delete it form your computer, the next time you sync it'll delete it off the ipod.  I don't need to use my computer as a storage medium for my music (hell, I have a CD player), so why the hell should itunes kill it off the ipod?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically, iPod isn't an MP3 format, it's and Apple proprietary format (M4P I think).  iTunes may convert your music as you download your existing MP3, I'm not sure.  All I've done so far is download CDs into iTunes.  The thing that I don't like about the iPod is it can only download from a single iTunes account - you can't drag and drop selected playlists from a friend's iTunes into your iPod.

From everything I understand, anything that goes into your iPod has to go into your specific iTunes account first.  Also, I had a friend whose Apple had the hard drive fail, he couldn't use the iPod as an external memory device to repopulate his iTunes, he had to reload the music from CDs.

thanks for confirming that.  Shitty way to lose a customer, I was thinking about getting a Mac laptop too.  Zune will handle my music libray that is in MP3 format?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple uses i's own proprietary compression format, AAC.  MP4 is actually a video codec.  iPod will be perfectly happy with MP3 files, though.  I've got well over 2,000 songs on my 20 gigger Gen 3 ipod.  iPod will also be happy with vanilla .wav files, but they're not compressed, so capacity will really suffer.

ETA:  I'm pretty sure you can force iTunes to default to MP3, thereby avoiding Apples evil AAC format.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:19:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I sell ipods and I hate them with a passion.  Their failure rate is actually quite high, and Apple treats us retailers like absolute shit.  The profit margins are very low too.

I hate apple.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
had the others.....now have an ipod.
Ipod FTW !!

Bought the wife a Creative Zen a couple of years ago and nothing but problems.  Replaced it with an 80gb iPod and it has been flawless.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple uses i's own proprietary compression format, AAC.  MP4 is actually a video codec.  iPod will be perfectly happy with MP3 files, though.  I've got well over 2,000 songs on my 20 gigger Gen 3 ipod.  iPod will also be happy with vanilla .wav files, but they're not compressed, so capacity will really suffer.

ETA:  I'm pretty sure you can force iTunes to default to MP3, thereby avoiding Apples evil AAC format.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was going by what the guy at the Apple Store told me, between lectures on the evils of 'stealing' content.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So its Itunes thats the bitch then.  

Sorry dont know squat about this stuff, but I'm learning.  Do you need to use any software with IPod to make them enter you music, or can you treat them like a flashdrive that plays your music?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife and I both have 16 GB iTouchs and got an external HD for the laptop to store our music on.  I let her do all the transferring of music to my iTouch, but I really like mine.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ipods work, but you pay a good sum for the name. There are many players out there that offer the same and more features for less money. I like Creative, but theres a lot of convergence in brands these days. If I were to buy one for my self today, I'd probably get a 8gig Creative Zen Amazon . It seems like the offerings from Sansa and other brands have gotten pretty good while still being cheap.

The point is that Ipods are fine, but there are much better players for less money. I hate the ipod's interface with a passion, others adore it. Ask friends if they have one and try it out before you buy it. I also hate itunes software- if you use a PC you're in for a ride, the windows version is an absolute pig. I just drag and drop my music onto my player which I find much easier then going through specialized software. Some players can do this, others can't. Another stupidly missing feature on ipods is a built in FM tuner. I'm still amazed that they don't have this, as seemingly every other player made has one and they are incredibly useful. I listen to the radio about as much as I listen to the stored music, and that alone is reason to stay away from ipods for me.

If buying music is your thing, the itunes store works. You can also use subscription services where you pay a monthly fee for access to as much music as you want to download. But when you stop paying the fee, the music stops working. Itunes songs are yours, and you can even pay extra for drm free files, but it gets expensive. Most people just rip music off of cd's they own (legal) or download it (usually illegal).

If none of that makes sense, don't worry. Tl;dr version- try an ipod for a few minutes, then decide.

Both the Creative and Sansa players have quirks that kept me from buying either. (Sansa'a seem to fail a little too often. The Creative has a card slot for expansion, but it is not seemless to use.)

I ended up buying a 30GB Zune on clearance and its a great device. I'm quite happy with it.

My next player, however, will likely be a Cowon D2. If you're looking for a flexible player with great support and a good feature set, this may be the player for you. It has features that are far better than anything you can get from Microsoft or Apple currently and it has multiple codex support for wide format compatibility.

Cowon D2

The reviews on this product are very promising.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for confirming that.  Shitty way to lose a customer, I was thinking about getting a Mac laptop too.  Zune will handle my music libray that is in MP3 format?

Yes, it will. (As will pretty much any other player)

Honestly, though, you can probably find a program out there that will convert them to Apple's format.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#40]
So far, I have not run into a single issue using iTunes and a 60GB iPod on a PC running XP. Not one. I have over 6500 songs in my iTunes/iPod library. I am able to inport and use MP3 and other format audio, regardless of its source without any problems. Again, no problems at all. I suspect that the people who hate iTunes for doing/not doing X may have missed some of the control options. iTunes really does work fine.

For the iPod itself, the best course of action is to get the APPLE (not store brand) extrended service contract. Well worth it.

I have my entire CD collection on my iPod - a device smaller than a pack of smokes - and couldn't be happier. The interface is simple and intuitive. It just works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Big Zune fan here.  You can get a Zune 4GB for $129 at Walmart.
They work incredibly well, and have had zero issues for the past year now.

The reason I don't care for Ipod is all the proprietary software required.
I do like the itunes software, but don't care for the fact that workarounds are required due to file format limitations.

For instance, I had to save some songs from itunes to a cd, then copy the CD to my Zune.

After adding every single CD I own, then deleting crappy songs, and then buying probably 100 songs so far, I have approx 1000 songs on the computer and 500 on the Zune with about half the space used up.  I could not be more happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
New Ipods only work with XP or Vista or a MAC, beware if you have an old machine.

To those still running 98, choke yourself.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

2 ways...

1. download from a site for approx .99 per song, or under $10/album

2. put your CD into your computer, and your software will copy it into your computer and you can add it to your device.

Or you can look for illegal copies on the internet.  Many do it this way, but I prefer to support the folks providing me with a good to encourage them to make more of the same.

Make sure you don't buy software from places that restrict the number of copies you can make.  For instance, you can (I don't believe this has changed) only make 2 CD copies, and transfer to 1? device if you bought the song, from Walmart due to licensing software restrictions embedded into the songs.  And Heaven fobid you upgrade your computer, you have to copy the music files + license files to keep the music playable.  So you don't really own the music, you get to use it with many restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#44]
My wife and i just got matching Alpine CDA-9885's for both of our cars........They are Ipod ready and she is already using her Ipod on her head unit......Amazing!!!!

Over 1,200 songs on a Ipod Nano..................I'm looking to buy one for myself now!

Oh, this is also a tag,.................
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Rip your albums using http://www.exactaudiocopy.de, transfer to ipod.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your friend didnt do his homework.  There are dozens of programs out there that would have allowed him to pull his music off his Ipod and then back onto his computer.

People keep repeating this but no one seems to listen.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE ITUNES!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times do people have to say this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Buy them from the store

Wrong.  There are plenty of freeware and shareware apps out there to xfer songs to (and from) the ipod.  I use Anapod Explorer.

Just one of the reasons to hate iTunes software is that once you have the song on the ipod, if you delete it form your computer, the next time you sync it'll delete it off the ipod.  I don't need to use my computer as a storage medium for my music (hell, I have a CD player), so why the hell should itunes kill it off the ipod?

If you've got enough computer sense to use the other programs, you should have enough to figure out you can turn Auto-Syncing off incredibly easily.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

i

Alternitives to itunes for managing your ipod

Amarok
Banshee
Floola
gtkpod
MediaMonkey
Rhythmbox
SharePod
Songbird
Winamp
YamiPod
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#49]
WinAmp Pro + mliPod addin = WIN

Selectively manages all three of my devices, Creative Zen Touch, iPod Nano and 2gig Sansa

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your friend didnt do his homework.  There are dozens of programs out there that would have allowed him to pull his music off his Ipod and then back onto his computer.

People keep repeating this but no one seems to listen.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE ITUNES!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times do people have to say this.

I'm sure your right that there was someway my friend could have figured out how to reverse sync his iPod, but he asked the 'Rep' at the Apple Store and they told him that there wasn't any other way to do it.  Apple is loathe to recommend anything that doesn't involve the full-gulp of the Apple-flavored Kool-Aid.

I just wish I would have researched this stuff a bit more before I went the iPod/iTunes route.  The Cowon D2 that was linked to above looks interesting.  Being able to transfer files using memory cards is the perfect solution in my mind - and a solution that Apple as a corporate policy will never offer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top